Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Looking for a Coffee Roaster

I want to start roasting my own beans. Ive read about some that only roast light and some that roast dark. I like a med/dark roast. Can anyone help out and recommend a good roaster?? Money will be an issue. Nothing crazy. Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: Looking for a Coffee Roaster

can build an sc/co for about $60-80... probably best option
Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

How much coffee do you use/month?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
MithShrike

You could be like me, Google dog bowl heat gun coffee roasting.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I have been using a Fresh Roast Plus for about 8 years. I love it. My wife and I drink a Bunn 10 cup pot a day. I roast a few batches interspersed throughout the day, and get enough beans for a week. One roasting renders about 1.5 pots (at the strength we enjoy). Here is a link to this roaster at Coffee Bean Corral. You can shop around if you like, but this is about as good a deal as you will find. http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/Prod...x?productid=FR
Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
How much coffee do you use/month?
about 3-4 pounds
Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I have been using a Fresh Roast Plus for about 8 years. I love it. My wife and I drink a Bunn 10 cup pot a day. I roast a few batches interspersed throughout the day, and get enough beans for a week. One roasting renders about 1.5 pots (at the strength we enjoy). Here is a link to this roaster at Coffee Bean Corral. You can shop around if you like, but this is about as good a deal as you will find. http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/Prod...x?productid=FR
thanks for the link rev!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

air roasters are fine for small amounts of home roast but at 65g per roast the end result does not even make a full pot of coffee and to get 3-4 pounds a week than you would have to roast 16 times. I started with a roaster that claims to do 1# but that died after 6 months and after repair it has a tough time doing 1/4#. I than upgraded to the HotTop B which costs around $720 but has produced 3-4#'s per week for 14 months straight with 0 problems. A friend has the Gene Cafe which is around $495 and is also a great roaster and he has had to fix it 1 in 2-3 years. Both of these roasters will handle 280g of green beans that produce 1/2# of roasted beans. It depends on your roasting needs and commitment so starting with an air roaster for under $100 may be a good way start.

I like the reviews Sweet Maria's does for their products and their green beans plus customer service is A+.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.html

Mr Moo made a BBQ roaster and has posted details on it which can do 2#'s at a time and I don't believe it costs to much to make one of these.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
about 3-4 pounds
For a pound/wk or more I'd definitely be thinking SCCO which, by the way, is not hardly the best roaster-learning device.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Fumes
Not So Memorious

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Fumes is on a distinguished road

I used an IRoast-2 for almost two years with no mechanical problems, aside from the time I dropped the top that holds the chaff collector and cracked it. (Replacement cost 15 bucks.) My routine was to grab a cigar and retreat into the garage about three times a week. The small capacity is the major drawback, but it got me into the garage for a smoke on a regular basis, so I can't complain.

Air roasters are great learning devices, though the noise of the IRoar takes a little getting used to.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I started on a Fresh Roast +. I was using about the same amount you are 3 to 4 lbs a month. It is a good one to start on because you can see what is going on and smell the beans as they roast. It makes for great cigar time in the garage. Also check out Sweet Marias web site for excellent information on roasting. www.sweetmarias.com
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

First Name: marc
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
trogdor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
You could be like me, Google dog bowl heat gun coffee roasting.
This works great for me. Roasting outside (or on my covered porch in inclement weather) is a must because of the smoke and chaff.
Great control over the roast, I do one to two cups of green at a time (I've found 1 cup to be about 1/3 pound unroasted). I'd say 7-13 minutes per batch of roast time, plus cool down, you could easily do your 1+ pound a week in about an hour including set up and take down.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote