Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
meissen
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
meissen is on a distinguished road
Default Buying cigars in Montego Bay's Duty Free "The Tobacco Shop" - Anyone?

Hi all,

Returning on a trip from Montego Bay and I won't have a chance to do any real shopping unless I shop at the resort. They want $30 for all of the popular brand cigars, sold individually. The Tobacco Store inside the Montego Bay's duty free shopping area (departures) lists their most expensive Cuban cigars as $23.

Now I've read on here threads from 2011 and older where people say 99.9% of the Cubans found in Jamaica are fake -- but does anyone have any recent experience with the Tobacco Store inside the Montego Bay duty free area to know whether or not they're selling fake cigars? I was told Americans can bring 5 Cuban cigars back into the country but if they're going to be fake I'm not going to bother.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Buying cigars in Montego Bay's Duty Free "The Tobacco Shop" - Anyo

You were misinformed about the 5 cigars, unless by America you mean Canada.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Hi all,

Returning on a trip from Montego Bay and I won't have a chance to do any real shopping unless I shop at the resort. They want $30 for all of the popular brand cigars, sold individually. The Tobacco Store inside the Montego Bay's duty free shopping area (departures) lists their most expensive Cuban cigars as $23.

Now I've read on here threads from 2011 and older where people say 99.9% of the Cubans found in Jamaica are fake -- but does anyone have any recent experience with the Tobacco Store inside the Montego Bay duty free area to know whether or not they're selling fake cigars? I was told Americans can bring 5 Cuban cigars back into the country but if they're going to be fake I'm not going to bother.
Importation of any amount of Cuban Cigars into the USA is currently illegal, even if brought into USA with legal Visa to travel to Cuba.

As far as the Duty Free store, I would have high confidence in all of their products; cigars, perfume, alcohol to all be genuine.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
meissen
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You were misinformed about the 5 cigars, unless by America you mean Canada.
That's what I thought too. The lady at the resort's cigar shop did say that if I was worried about it she could remove the bands off of the cigar and package them in a Jamaican brand box.

So if buying ANY cuban cigars to bring into the US is illegal and I'll have to provide proof of purchase (receipt) if I declare the cigars then it really sounds like my only option is to buy Jamaican.

Has anyone ever bought Cuban cigars at the duty free shops and successfully sneaked them into the US? Was it as easy as just removing the band from the cigars or does that only work if you're storing the cigars in your checked-on luggage?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Will be tough to find a smuggling confession.
Take the bands off.
They were cigars you took with you and didn't get to smoke.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Will be tough to find a smuggling confession.
what he said. openly asking about illegal actions usually isn't a good idea
Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
That's what I thought too. The lady at the resort's cigar shop did say that if I was worried about it she could remove the bands off of the cigar and package them in a Jamaican brand box.

So if buying ANY cuban cigars to bring into the US is illegal and I'll have to provide proof of purchase (receipt) if I declare the cigars then it really sounds like my only option is to buy Jamaican.

Has anyone ever bought Cuban cigars at the duty free shops and successfully sneaked them into the US? Was it as easy as just removing the band from the cigars or does that only work if you're storing the cigars in your checked-on luggage?

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55040
Old 09-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
meissen
Just in from the Storm

Ah - my bad. When I had googled Montego Bay and cuban cigars, Google brought me to old threads on this very website openly discussing cuban cigars being brought back into the US which was the entire reason why I joined the site. I'll remove my questions in my previous post.

Edit: Looks like I'm not allowed to edit my old post, so I can't remove my questions. My apologies for breaking the rules - like I said, specifically registered because I saw the older threads openly discussing it so I thought it was OK to discuss.

Looks like Jamaican cigars it is.
Closed Thread