Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #121
tobii3

Default Re: Rant: Cigar Bums

Freud said it best.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #122
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
It is really quite amazing how many different directions and opinions came from this rant. Hmm. I don't think I was attaching strings to anything. My rant was about people I didn't know who thinks they can bum a cigar like they bum a cigarette. That's all.
Interesting that you would take my post so personally. If you re-read the thread you'll find the conversation may have drifted somewhat from what you inteded to discuss. Also, you will see that my post was not a direct reply to what you stated at the start. My post (and my point) stands on its own.

On behalf of all those who strayed from what you wanted to discuss, we are sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #123
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
It is really quite amazing how many different directions and opinions came from this rant. Hmm. I don't think I was attaching strings to anything. My rant was about people I didn't know who thinks they can bum a cigar like they bum a cigarette. That's all.
It did drift some but such is the forum posting world. However the first reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Or just carry around really good cheap cigars.
Should have covered it all.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #124
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read all this, but wanted to offer a workaround.
First off, I consider giving away cigars about 90% of the fun, so far as this hobby goes. When I go somewhere where I'll be smoking with others, I take tons of cigars along, so I can share.
I do agree that it can get real expensive sharing $10-$20 sticks with folks who are only likely to take a couple puffs. I make sense of that by keeping plenty of really good $3-$4 sticks. That way if I'm around a campfire with a lot of folks who have never smoked, but just want to "try" a cigar, it's not a problem.
I suppose the long and short of it is that my humidor is, and always has been wide open to anyone at any time. I don't have any cigars that I wouldn't give up in a second. Don't care what they are. If that cigar is gonna put that big dumb grin on a brother's face, that has far more value to me than the price of any cigar.

One other thing that may or may not have been mentioned is that average folks do not know that cigars cost lots of money. They assume they're a buck or something, and by asking, they're not putting me out or breaking my bank.
If I get caught at that campfire with nothing but expensive cigars, that's what they're gonna get. There's a lot of reasons for that, one big one being that no matter how many expensive cigars I give away, I'll never pay back the generosity that's been extended to me by my botl's.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #125
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
First off, I consider giving away cigars about 90% of the fun, so far as this hobby goes. When I go somewhere where I'll be smoking with others, I take tons of cigars along, so I can share.
I do agree that it can get real expensive sharing $10-$20 sticks with folks who are only likely to take a couple puffs. I make sense of that by keeping plenty of really good $3-$4 sticks. That way if I'm around a campfire with a lot of folks who have never smoked, but just want to "try" a cigar, it's not a problem.
I suppose the long and short of it is that my humidor is, and always has been wide open to anyone at any time. I don't have any cigars that I wouldn't give up in a second. Don't care what they are. If that cigar is gonna put that big dumb grin on a brother's face, that has far more value to me than the price of any cigar.

One other thing that may or may not have been mentioned is that average folks do not know that cigars cost lots of money. They assume they're a buck or something, and by asking, they're not putting me out or breaking my bank.
If I get caught at that campfire with nothing but expensive cigars, that's what they're gonna get. There's a lot of reasons for that, one big one being that no matter how many expensive cigars I give away, I'll never pay back the generosity that's been extended to me by my botl's.
Well said
Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #126
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post

Well said Scott, well said.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #127
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Simple options from good suggestions:

1. Don't give cigars to folks you don't think will appreciate the gesture.

2. Keep inexpensive (yet decent) cigars with you for such occasions.

I don't think anyone would object to you doing either. I think what people are trying to convey is that giving is often the best part of the cigar experience. Obviously not every cigar you give will be appreciated or even liked. Such is life. Don't take it personally. I know there is monetary loss, but when you give a cigar to someone who lights up with joy, you'll realize the previous losses were worth it.

Edited to say: I agree with Scott too!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #128
pnoon
YNWA

RA

It's really quite simple.
Carry a variety of cigars that you don't mind parting with - no matter who they go to.

-or-

Just say no.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #129
mpd340

Just say no.
Posted via Mobile Device[/quote]

Wasn't that in a public service announcement.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #130
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
That's what exactly I am referring to. He called them idiots for not understanding the proper etiquette of cigar smoking i.e. not knowing how to cut a cigar and you have to finish a cigar.
It was the fact that these people didn't even smoke and were just taking them because they were there. If your a vegetarian and there is a filet sitting on the bar do you take a bite and put it down, just cause its there.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #131
mscales

I give a lot of cigars away, a couple a week or so. But, if I have a really nice expensive cigar I would ask for hte cost if someone wanted to "try a stick". Now don't get me wrong, I don't have crap cigars and all are very nice ones but if I was paying $9 +/- it would have to be a good friend I want to spend time with to just hand over a cigar just to try.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #132
sobranie10
Living the Dream

First Name: ron
Trading: (0)
Partagas
sobranie10 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
I love giving cigars away. Whenever I am at a party or one if the few bars in my area that still allow cigar smoking, I always bring plenty of extra. You meet some of the nicest people through the simple gift of a cigar. I don't care if they're mooching or genuinely curious, the world today can be so callous and cynical that a smile from a stranger and some casual conversation helps to remind me that what we need most is connection to our fellow human beings.

MCS
I think half the fun of smoking cigars is sharing cigars with others weather they enjoy cigars or not. Never know who you might meet, to me it’s not whether they look the part or know what they are doing to me it’s who I am.
sobranie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #133
DivineRight
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Chapman
Trading: (0)
DivineRight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Freud said it best.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I'm not a big Freud fan, I prefer to look at cigars in this manner:

"A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman."

Bulwer-Lytton, E. G.
DivineRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #134
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Interesting that you would take my post so personally. If you re-read the thread you'll find the conversation may have drifted somewhat from what you inteded to discuss. Also, you will see that my post was not a direct reply to what you stated at the start. My post (and my point) stands on its own.

On behalf of all those who strayed from what you wanted to discuss, we are sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apparently I misunderstood your intent. But I didn't take it 'personally'. I see what you were driving at.

I think this thread has opened up a great discussion and it has given me many ideas on how to counter this nicely.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #135
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

If the person is in fact a "mooch" as some have eluded to, then just a simple "no" will do.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #136
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
If the person is in fact a "mooch" as some have eluded to, then just a simple "no" will do.
I do not think that word means what you think it means...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #137
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think this thread has opened up a great discussion and it has given me many ideas on how to counter this nicely.
Excellent. Can I have a cigar?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #138
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I do not think that word means what you think it means...
Posted via Mobile Device
Inconceivable!
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #139
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Excellent. Can I have a cigar?
anything in my humi

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #140
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Apparently I misunderstood your intent. But I didn't take it 'personally'. I see what you were driving at.

&
Posted via Mobile Device