Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: 18 year old cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Congratulations to Nathan!!!
You did good setting those smokes back for all this time. It's quite an eclectic selection. I figure they must have been crazy good smokes 18 years ago, I'm looking forward to hearing how they held up.
Here are some pics. You can see what I did with the 2 NCs and the labels I made up. They were purchased the day he was born (so they are probably older. How old? Don't know, they didn't do born on dating. Dig the color of the cellophane.

As for the 2 CC Montecristos, I don't know if it is visible or not, but they almost look like they have a slight coating of dust on them. Crazy. Those were from a box with the date code for Nov. 1994.

Here's another pic.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Yes, Nathan. Thanks Todd...I drink too much.
I don't think that was the problem, I think the cloud of noxious fumes that followed us around most of that trip could have had adverse affects on memory. I know for a fact it burn numerous nose hairs.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #23
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

"Farts are funny"
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a trip with Todd!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Congrats to you both brother!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #26
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

So, how were they?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #27
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
So, how were they?
Were? Haven't had them yet. They will be smoked up at deer camp. Leaving for that Thanksgiving night, after church services and t-giving supper.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

Congratulations!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #29
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations!!!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #30
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
"Farts are funny"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Sounds like a trip with Todd!

Hey, I was not the worst offender - not by a long shot! There was someone present who put me far to shame.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #31
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Went up north on 11/22, leaving home about 3:00p. Boys couldn't come till after work, not arriving till about 10:30p. It was Friday evening, sitting and watching Elektra that 18 year old Montecristo #1s got smoked (What the boy wanted to try first). He knew what to do in regard to cutting and lighting it (obviously has been watching me), but really had not clue about smoking it. He puffed rather tentatively and not very big puffs, but it only went out once, and that a god 3+inches into it.

His thoughts? "I liked it! It wasn't what I expected."
I asked him, "What did it taste like?"
His response, "Smoke? A cigar!?!? What is it supposed to taste like?"

He did say the next day that he still had the taste in his mouth a little bit.

We never did smoke the other two, he wanted to wait. We then ran out of time to enjoy together. That is OK, it will happen when it happens. And if he doesn't really get into cigars, I'm not going to complain. He can save his money and use it for other things. And, I have more cigars that I can enjoy without having to share.

I must say, the Monte #1 aged nicely. They both smoked smoothly, easy draw, and volumes of smoke (when puffed in such a manner to produce it). I found it to be very elegant and the flavors rather muted. I am guessing that age melds them together rather well. What I did get where hints of coffee & cream, leather, sweetness, and a slight nuttiness. I'd like to say it was complex, but who in world really knows what that word means (and I am guitly of using it upon ocassion), so here's my definition - Complex = flavors changing without boring me with becoming one-dimensional, no one flavor stands out, and I don't get bored with it. This was by no means a powerhouse smoke, but just a steady smoke that bespoke elegance. I don't know why, but that is just what came to mind. It was a great smoke.

I have invited him to sign up here, but I don't know that he will.

It was cool to share this smoke with him. There wasn't a lot of conversation, but it was good.

I have been having this saddness upon my heart since that night, it got very intense on Sunday when they had to drive back for work and I was left alone. I believe it is the beginning of something tied to empty nest syndrome.

Depending on where he goes to college and what he does afterward, this may be our last hunting trip. I am hoping that is not the case, but who knows. At any rate, this is the last hunting trip with him as my "little boy." This is first event that is bringing to the end certain aspects of a relationship a father has with his son.

One of my surprising thoughts is, "I'm not old enough for this."

All I know is that it is a strange feeling. As I try not to think about it, it keeps getting my face wet.

Nathan, I love you! I am proud of you! You will travel your own path and I pray fervently that I have given you the guidance, training, and most espeicially - love - that you will need. I also pray for you daily, that God do with you what I have failed to do to make you into the man he'd like you to be - in spite of how I know I have at times failed you.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #32
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

That was an AWESOME story Rev. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #33
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Great post, Todd.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #34
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Great post!
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #35
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Awesome, Todd! Congrats To You Both & Thanks For The Story!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Wow just wow..... Congrats to you and your whole family!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #37
Tallman
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Murray
Trading: (6)
Tallman is on a distinguished road

Todd, thank you for the update.

Best regards,
Murray
Tallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #38
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing, not only your thoughts about the cigar, but your heart felt feelings.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #39
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Todd, What a great post. Congrats.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #40
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for sharing Todd

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote