Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default CAO Gold Maduro

Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Mild/Medium

Price: Box of 20, $90

Grade: 8.7

The original CAO Gold line was created in 1996 and has been very well received – the Maduro version utilizes the same binder and filler, but utilizes a Brazilian Maduro wrapper, and was introduced in 2007. The Gold Maduro began as a blend for CAO’s Concept Series and was kept in the infamous CAO Escaparate room at the Nashville headquarters. The Escaparate is said to hold over 400,000 cigars in various stages of development.

The Gold Maduro is sold in boxes of 20, at under $100, and in six sizes: Corona (5.5×42), Robusto (5×50), Corona Gorda (6.5×50), Churchill (7×40), Torpedo (6.25×52), and Double Corona (7.5×54). You can find the official press release, when the cigar was released in March of 2007, here.

You can learn more about CAO online or follow Jon Huber, Director of Lifestyle Marketing, on Twitter.

Pre-light, 1.7:
The dark chocolate Brazilian Maduro is dry to the touch with a bumpy exterior that is light on veins, spongy at the foot and beneath the band, cleanly capped, and overall appealing – oddly, in parts, toward the cap in the top third, the wrapper looks more like a binder. The red and gold pop off the dark brown wrapper. The aroma is superb – it’s one of those where if someone were to walk outside and see you, you would be embarrassed – I think my eyes were closed and I was drooling. Full of sweet cocoa, a crisp, green barnyard with a slight pungency, and touches of cedar all work to create an excellent aroma. The draw is clean and loose and the flavor is crisp and clean and full of barnyard notes with just a little bit of sweetness.

Burn, 1.6:
The draw is wide open and there is a loose hold to the ash; the ash flakes but has a consistent and clean color. There is also a small hole that develops in the middle of the ash and the Gold Maduro eventually extinguishes itself. The smoke emitted is very thick and sweetly aromatic, and the burn temperature is cool throughout. Maybe I’m unlucky with CAO, or the two of us just aren’t meant to be, but I’ve had burn issues with the majority of CAO cigars, which is unfortunate because they always deliver in the flavor department.

Flavor, 1.7:
Through the first third, the Maduro is very mild in body and flavor, with a muted chocolate and a musty undertone; there is no transition or complexity as it moves into the second third. With time, the chocolate notes appear with a tinge of espresso that is more dry than sweet. There is also a subdued barnyard note of hay with some harshness and stinging bitterness that quickly fades and leads into a mellow and gentle final third. The final stretch presents a buttery profile that remains on the edge, but is never able to pop through and stick around.

Overall, 1.7:
The Gold Maduro was a toss up for me, and it took some time and some samples to properly score – the flavor was great in spots with some nice complexity, but it was also bitter in spots. Also, the burn produced billows of smoke, but was loose and went out. And, the appearance had an amazing aroma but also had soft spots and was spongy. All in all, at under $5, this is a good smoke and I would definitely keep a 5 pack in the humidor for the yard or for buddies, and at a good sale price, I would pick up a box as well. This is not a special occasion smoke, but a great every day variety.

(Total: 8.7)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: CAO Gold Maduro

Very nice review, thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Matthew...this is one maduro that I didn't enjoy, I picked up that "musty flavor" as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Nice review Matthew...this is one maduro that I didn't enjoy, I picked up that "musty flavor" as well.
Odd right? Definitely not a favorite in the Maduro variety, but still intriguing to me for some reason.

I know you're a huge Maduro guy, whats some of your favorites in the Mild/Medium category?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
Odd right? Definitely not a favorite in the Maduro variety, but still intriguing to me for some reason.

I know you're a huge Maduro guy, whats some of your favorites in the Mild/Medium category?
Mild/medium maduros??? Hmmmm...in no particular order:

Arganese ML3
Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixote
Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro
Nestor Mirando Special Selection Oscuro Ruky
Saint Luis R Series G
Cusano 18 Maduro
AVO Maduro
El Rey De Mundo Maduro
Omar Ortez Original Maduro
Punch Royal Coronation Maduro
Perdomo Habano Maduro
Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro
Arturo Fuente Cuban Corona Maduro
Padron 2000 Maduro
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
postjack

the Casa Torano Maduro is also quite lovely, and definitely mild. can be had for a song on the devil site.

thanks for the review, I've been curious about this stick.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by postjack View Post
the Casa Torano Maduro is also quite lovely, and definitely mild. can be had for a song on the devil site.

thanks for the review, I've been curious about this stick.
The Carlos Torano Casa Torano Maduro is a great stick...forgot that one.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
OHRD

Thanks for the list Mac - making note of these! I really enjoy the Casa Torano Maduro, but haven't had any of the others you listed, other than the Cusano 18 and Lot 23.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
postjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
The Carlos Torano Casa Torano Maduro is a great stick...forgot that one.
I had one this weekend. really punches above it's weigt class IMO.

$64 for a box of torpedoes ain't bad at all.