Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #41
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Do you think you know a lot about Cigars?

Sure, you can enjoy anything ignorantly, but anybody that cares enough about a topic to join a forum centered around it (ie: every inmate here) is probably going to have enough passion about that topic to want to learn some history. Cigars have a long and rich history, which is in and of its self interesting, and while the quiz in the OP may not be much of anything, you seem to be suggesting that knowledge of cigar history is not related to cigar smoking. I find that cigar history and the general techniques of storage, smoking etc that one finds on forums like this adds to my enjoyment of cigars immensely
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
I still have no idea what any of this have to do with smoking cigars. Very few wine drinkers know much about wine history, hell, even professional writers know little, and yet it doesn't stop anyone from enjoying cigars.

A quiz better tuned to cigar smokers would be like this:

1. Who was the good for nothing actor idiot to use children as ruse to raise taxes on tobacco products sold in Kalifornia in late 1990s? And where did the money go?

2. When Federal level SCHIP tax kicked in last year, similar to the one passed in Kalifornia in the '90s, why wasn't similar Kalifornia tax repealed? Are Kalifornia kids getting double the benefit now with 2 taxes "helping them out"? Where does the money go in both cases?

3. When marijuana growing and sales are legally approved in Kalifornia, what odds are there that someone in Sacramento's "think tank" (yeah, I know, a huge stretch of imagination) will find a way to tie in sale of tobacco products to marijuana sales to raise taxes on tobacco even higher? 5-1? 10-1? 50-1?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #42
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

How does knowing about tobacco and alcohol tax proposal of 1794 make you enjoy cigars more? Or what Churchill called his "paper" trick given the fact that no one else has used it since? Do you know what size and shape was it and HOW it was used meaning just how it fit over a cigar? What kind of paper used? Does the creator of the quiz?

Just curious.

Like I said, even really serious wine drinkers won't pass a well put together wine history quiz, I'd bet 90% fail even on professional level, and yet I have never heard anyone tell me that this lack of wine history knowledge makes them enjoy wine less. I'll even state that 90% of so called "sommeliers" in restaurants know very little about wine based on my experience and interacting with them. Yet I am sure they do enjoy wines tremendously.

It would make more sense if cigar smokers could ID cigar components in a blind taste. THAT is the true enjoyment of cigars, IMO, and true knowledge of a product.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #43
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Again, I wasn't defending the OP, there is a difference between history and trivia. The OP was really just a list of banal trivia, and the answers as such wouldn't help me enjoy cigars more, but it seems like you're saying that knowledge of cigar history doesn't add to the enjoyment of cigars. IMO, studying cigar history gives one a sense of what has come before, and adds to the enjoyment of cigars by giving one an appreciation of the craftsmanship and long work that goes into the making of this subtle thing that is a cigar. Call it food for thought as you savor your smoke. I agree that people should develop their palates, and blind taste tests are extremely fun to participate in and, I think, are essential for any serious cigar smoker's development as a connaisseur. But I would defend the value of history to cigar smoker's enjoyment of the hobby as well.
Quote:
How does knowing about tobacco and alcohol tax proposal of 1794 make you enjoy cigars more? Or what Churchill called his "paper" trick given the fact that no one else has used it since? Do you know what size and shape was it and HOW it was used meaning just how it fit over a cigar? What kind of paper used? Does the creator of the quiz?

Just curious.

Like I said, even really serious wine drinkers won't pass a well put together wine history quiz, I'd bet 90% fail even on professional level, and yet I have never heard anyone tell me that this lack of wine history knowledge makes them enjoy wine less. I'll even state that 90% of so called "sommeliers" in restaurants know very little about wine based on my experience and interacting with them. Yet I am sure they do enjoy wines tremendously.

It would make more sense if cigar smokers could ID cigar components in a blind taste. THAT is the true enjoyment of cigars, IMO, and true knowledge of a product.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #44
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

We seem to be talking apples and oranges :-(

I am not against historical trivia, been reading all sorts of cigar history for years (decades, actually) now. Still, what does knowing that Churchill came up with a "paper holder" without MORE info on it do for anyone's cigar enjoyment, especially since no one has used the method since. And if I hand you a cigar, will you be able to tell me what rolling method has been used (save for the obvious figurado and machine made cigars)? That's my point, the quiz didn't do much in terms of educating anyone on much. If this is how the author of the quiz is "educating" people, then I can tell she is not making much progress. IMHO, of course, and you mileage will vary.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #45
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

I think that means we agree then
Quote:
We seem to be talking apples and oranges :-(

I am not against historical trivia, been reading all sorts of cigar history for years (decades, actually) now. Still, what does knowing that Churchill came up with a "paper holder" without MORE info on it do for anyone's cigar enjoyment, especially since no one has used the method since. And if I hand you a cigar, will you be able to tell me what rolling method has been used (save for the obvious figurado and machine made cigars)? That's my point, the quiz didn't do much in terms of educating anyone on much. If this is how the author of the quiz is "educating" people, then I can tell she is not making much progress. IMHO, of course, and you mileage will vary.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #46
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

Possibly one of the most entertaining threads I've been through in a while, and unintentionally so! Bravo.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #47
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

I am surprised that the Admiral has not applied the Monkey Balm yet!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #48
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
I am surprised that the Admiral has not applied the Monkey Balm yet!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
I am the kinder, gentler Admiral now.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #49
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: JACK
FriendlyMan is on a distinguished road

Hey guys you might want to check her site out again, She posted something new on there that might interest you more.
FriendlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #50
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyMan View Post
Hey guys you might want to check her site out again, She posted something new on there that might interest you more.
And what might that be?

Please provide more information to the members here so that they can choose to go there or not.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #51
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
And what might that be?

Please provide more information to the members here so that they can choose to go there or not.
Probably about how good looking you are Peter
Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #52
Robert Mabona

Quote:
Oh, hell, I'll take a stab:

1. Cheesecloth is used to shade tobacco plants from harsh sun rays. Once harvested, cheesecloth is dropped and re-used as side-wall frame in next harvest. Corojo wrapper is tied to the cheesecloth frame to ensure it grows upright (and stronger).

2. Bunching methods. I thought there are 5, actually, any reason she is missing one? Anyway... In order of least complex to most complex:

Lieberman bunch, bunching technique used for machine rolled cigars
Book bunch
Accordion bunch
Entubado bunch, aka Entubar

There is also a Figurado (Hybrid) bunch - complexity wise on Entubado level and probably even more so, very intolerant to mistakes while bunching. Not sure why she has not included this method in her question unless she does not consider Lieberman bunch a "method".

3. Sir Walter Raleigh?

4. Alexander Hamilton's proposed tax package of 1794.

5. Cohiba is Taino Indians' word for tobacco plant. This is where I disagreed with a recent thread's premise and stated then and stating now that Cohiba, as a BRAND, was officially introduced in 1982, band, box and all.

6. Bellybando.
from what i have learned, "cohiba" is a smoking ritual performed by the "behike"(or "medicine man") and the the smoking artifact itself.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #53
Robert Mabona

Quote:

Just curious.

try me
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #54
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: JACK
FriendlyMan is on a distinguished road

This time its about Pairing Cigars and Bourbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
And what might that be?

FriendlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #55
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mabona View Post
try me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfP2fSjA7U

Sorry, I belong to Adriftpanda and Sonic Mike.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #56
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mabona View Post
try me
You really think you can do better than the likes of Laube, Heimoff, Parker, Stone and others?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #57
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Her most recent blog entry is about Cigars and Bourbon, a pair I know a few people around here enjoy.

*Edit - Too slow on the keyboard today*
Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #58
mariogolbee

Quote:
You really think you can do better than the likes of Laube, Heimoff, Parker, Stone and others?
I think Huy and Mike can do better than anyone!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #59
Robert Mabona

Quote:
and you stumped all of them? who are you, michel rolland?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #60
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Well, I'm gonna do a lil bragging for a minute....

I won!!

Has my knowledge of cigar and tobacco history been expanded and enhanced? YES! Will my next stick taste better because of it? Probably not. Do I get to do a happy dance?!?! You betcha!!

I hope everyone who chose to participate had a good time. I know I learned a thing or three.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled shenanigans.