Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
MICSTOGIE

Question Purified water

Before you say it...yes I did do a search but didn't truly find an answer.

I have a whole house water filter and a reverse osmosis system (to my refrigerator) and I would think that it would be very close to distilled water. Would this be an alternative to distilled water?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Purified water

From what I can tell, the difference between purified and distilled is very little.

However, since your purified water is coming from the fridge, it may not be as purified as you think. Totally purified water is not good for the body when consumed often, as it provides no new minerals to your system and can leech the minerals from your body. I'm going to assume that if there was any oversight on your purified water to your fridge then your filter may not filter out as many minerals as you would think.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
From what I can tell, the difference between purified and distilled is very little.

However, since your purified water is coming from the fridge, it may not be as purified as you think. Totally purified water is not good for the body when consumed often, as it provides no new minerals to your system and can leech the minerals from your body. I'm going to assume that if there was any oversight on your purified water to your fridge then your filter may not filter out as many minerals as you would think.
A bit of a fallacy there, but we have gone over this before, and it seems fairly prevalent.

Properly maintained and functioning RO water from your fridge, assuming a clean "post" filter in your fridge doesn't contaminate the product water from your unit (assuming the unit is operating at an acceptable rejection rate and TDS levels are acceptable, the system has been sanitized and maintained properly) will be fine.

There is a lot of snake oil and misinformation out there, but having been ceritified (albeit long ago) with the Water Quality Association ( http://www.wqa.org ), I have seen this type of conversation many times.

Last edited by replicant_argent; 10-28-2010 at 10:00 AM.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

why would you want to drink distilled water? but yes an ro system is the closest thing to distilled.
Posted via Mobile Device
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
why would you want to drink distilled water? but yes an ro system is the closest thing to distilled.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am guessing since it is in the accessory forum, he is asking about it regarding his humi.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
MICSTOGIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I am guessing since it is in the accessory forum, he is asking about it regarding his humi.
You are correct! Would RO water be a replacement for distilled water
Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A bit of a fallacy there, but we have gone over this before, and it seems fairly prevalent.

Properly maintained and functioning RO water from your fridge, assuming a clean "post" filter in your fridge doesn't contaminate the product water from your unit (assuming the unit is operating at an acceptable rejection rate and TDS levels are acceptable, the system has been sanitized and maintained properly) will be fine.

There is a lot of snake oil and misinformation out there, but having been ceritified (albeit long ago) with the Water Quality Association ( http://www.wqa.org ), I have seen this type of conversation many times.
Thanks for the info pete!

So, can he use his fridge water in his humi?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Distilled water runs about $0.99 a gallon. Once a year I splurge.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
You realize that once you open your distilled water, it starts to pick up impurities from the air and is no longer pure distilled water, right?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
You realize that once you open your distilled water, it starts to pick up impurities from the air and is no longer pure distilled water, right?
I'm assuming most of us don't keep our cigars in a clean room either. That same air touches your cigars when you open your humi.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

no ro water should not be used as a replacement for distilled. there are many things an ro system does not remove from the water. even year old distilled in a closed container should have less impurities than distilled
Posted via Mobile Device
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
$0.99? WOW! Big Balla!
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
no ro water should not be used as a replacement for distilled. there are many things an ro system does not remove from the water. even year old distilled in a closed container should have less impurities than distilled
Posted via Mobile Device
well.... for this application...

Ugh... not gonna bother... again...
I won't respond to these anymore.

If it makes you feel better, use some distilled water, DI, shark piss, sauteed baby vomit, etc.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

The whole distilled water debate is an interesting one. I use distilled water personally because that is tried and prove to work just fine. However my friend's wife has some pet toads and I was running to the store one day and she asked me to pick up some Spring Water for her toads, and explained that the guy at the pet store said that Spring Water was a higher purity than just typical distilled water.

What is correct? Who knows, it can probably be put up for debate. And with that, I actually have a water tester that tests for parts per million of impurities in water. Maybe I should do a test lol.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well.... for this application...

Ugh... not gonna bother... again...
I won't respond to these anymore.

If it makes you feel better, use some distilled water, DI, shark piss, sauteed baby vomit, etc.
Actually I'm interested for what its worth.

I don't have RO system. Just a simple filtration system for the entire house. However I know my water gets some sulfur odor so I've never bothered using tap for that reason.
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Eh-hehehehehehe.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
The whole distilled water debate is an interesting one. I use distilled water personally because that is tried and prove to work just fine. However my friend's wife has some pet toads and I was running to the store one day and she asked me to pick up some Spring Water for her toads, and explained that the guy at the pet store said that Spring Water was a higher purity than just typical distilled water.

What is correct? Who knows, it can probably be put up for debate. And with that, I actually have a water tester that tests for parts per million of impurities in water. Maybe I should do a test lol.
I believe we CAN know. Here is a great write-up on the matter:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/disti...ing-water.html

And like Bob said, it's $1 for a gallon.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #18
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
the guy at the pet store said that Spring Water was a higher purity than just typical distilled water.
Nope, and that's why he works at the pet store. If he would take some night classes he might
be able to work his way up to gopher at a tire shop. Distilled water SHOULD be water molecules
and that's it. Everything that isn't water should be left in the boiler or still. Spring water contains
whatever it came out of the ground with, unless it is filtered further, or even intensely filtered
further. But in terms of PURITY, distilled should win everytime. That's why it is used in labs and
stuff. It's water and ONLY water and will not contaminate tests with other crap. Even the best
filters and membranes SHOULD not be able to reach the purity of distilled water.

Denigration of pet store employees is not the direct intention of this reply. Intelligence level is
used for demonstration and hyperbole purposes only.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #19
MICSTOGIE

So it looks like I should go out and get some distilled water. Oh well, at least it was a good discussion.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Well here are my test results.. I did 3 samples from each source, and displayed the results accordingly...

TDS: Total Dissolved Solid

Tap Water:
From Faucet: 230, 230, 240

Spring Water:
Ice Mountain: 150, 160, 160

Reverse Osmosis
HyVee: 20, 20, 20

Distilled Water:
Great Value: 0, 1, 1
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote