Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice
Default Looking for a new laptop, need suggestions.

The wife's HP laptop is showing signs of age. I'm looking for suggestions on a replacement. She uses it as an internet portal for all her 'stuff', basically facecrack and her boards. I don't think she needs anything really powerful or artsy. I was thinking of a Chromebook....
Suggestions?
Old 08-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Looking for a new laptop, need suggestions.

iPad. I am basically a windows and linux guy, but I have an iPad as an e-reader and use it as a mobile web browser as well. This is stupid light and there are a variety of good cases with keyboards built in. With the touch screen, I don't miss the mouse or touch pad.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I spent about 150 bucks on a 11" Dell Chromebook recently and really like it. You might want to spend more for a larger screen and/or touchscreen, but if she just needs internet access stuff and you have good WiFi you really should give serious consideration to a Chromebook. They are fast and have great battery life, and don't tend to bog down like your standard laptop.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
iPad. I am basically a windows and linux guy, but I have an iPad as an e-reader and use it as a mobile web browser as well. This is stupid light and there are a variety of good cases with keyboards built in. With the touch screen, I don't miss the mouse or touch pad.

I moved my wife off of her PC to an iPad about 8 months ago and she has never looked bag. She is using a iPad Air 2 — about 3 years old, I think.

You can find lots of deals on iPads right now — especially slightly older models, which will still work fine for what your wife needs for many years to come.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I am fan of Microsoft Surface laptops. Good design and build. Comes in at different price points.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I’ll second the iPad suggestions. I bought an iPad Air 2 a couple of years ago to use like a Kindle reader. By now, I use it 90% of the time. I use my older HP laptop when I need a spreadsheet.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I am fan of Microsoft Surface laptops. Good design and build. Comes in at different price points.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Today only, 8/27, Best Buy has a Surface on sale for $550, which is $400 off.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Same here. I've used Windows since the DOS days and my wife teaches Microsoft Certification but we both use iPad Air 2s for portable surfing. It's a great little tablet.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Picked up an Acer Chromebook from bestbuy today, the wife is sitting here getting use to it........
Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Wishing her the best with it. As I said above, I really like the Dell Chromebook I am on right now, and checked out the Asus too before I spotted this on sale.

Plus that's a couple of bucks that won't end up in Apple's offshore tax haven accounts, even if they are loonies.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:11 AM   #12
Makdam4
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Makdam4 is on a distinguished road

What's is your budget for buying a new laptop for you wife? If you have a shoice of buying HP laptop then I think you are right. Because I have 3 of them already. 1 is HP and another 2 is Asus.
Makdam4 is offline   Reply With Quote