Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #2741
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

T.G. has about covered the humidity issue. I've used both PG and HCM beads over the years. They both work OK, but beads give you the option to store slightly drier.

The other possibility is that the cigars you bought were very young and are just going through a bad period in their aging process. So, I would let a few dry out a few days in the room and see if that helps. If not, you can wait a few months and try again.

If neither of those options work, you can always grind them up and make an insecticide tea... (hope not!)
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #2742
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigars going bad - Polyglycol Propolene in humid solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger T View Post
I buy cigars on line, and I've found some great deals (JR cigar, CI Cigars etc) and these were really great tasting smokes. But after about 6 mo. (I've got quite a few in my humidor) the great tasting ones become pretty vial tasting and unsmokable.
I love this post! What a great question for this group. Many, many years of solving humidor issues here at CA.

Welcome to the board, Roger. I didn't want to interrupt your question being answered but wanted to point out that you can post over in the New Inmate Processing Area to let us know a bit more about yourself. Also, there is a wealth of information in the "stickies" at the top of the forum.

Welcome and I hope that you are able to get the flavor profile for those cigars back soonest.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #2743
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

Hey everyone!

So I've recently made the transition from wooden humidors to coolidors (the heavens parted and harp playing cherubs serenaded me when I finally came to this revelation.)
The coolidors are for longer term storage and I move cigars to smaller, more portable lock & lock boxes (air tight tubs, in other words...) to sit for at least a week @ 62 before smoking, works PERFECT for humidity!
However, I've noticed that some of the cigars are loose enough to move & bunp around when being handled and/or transported...
So what I'm wondering is, can anyone recommend any kind of material I can safely pack/stuff in to the tubs that will prevent the cigars from moving freely, but at the same time, also allow the air & humidity to be able to continue moving freely throughout the tub, as well as being neutral in smell/taste? I'm pretty sure they use glassine in some cigar boxes but that appears to be pretty expensive so I'm hoping you guys can suggest something else...thanks to anyone who provides any suggestions and/or info!
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #2744
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post
Hey everyone!

So I've recently made the transition from wooden humidors to coolidors (the heavens parted and harp playing cherubs serenaded me when I finally came to this revelation.)
The coolidors are for longer term storage and I move cigars to smaller, more portable lock & lock boxes (air tight tubs, in other words...) to sit for at least a week @ 62 before smoking, works PERFECT for humidity!
However, I've noticed that some of the cigars are loose enough to move & bunp around when being handled and/or transported...
So what I'm wondering is, can anyone recommend any kind of material I can safely pack/stuff in to the tubs that will prevent the cigars from moving freely, but at the same time, also allow the air & humidity to be able to continue moving freely throughout the tub, as well as being neutral in smell/taste? I'm pretty sure they use glassine in some cigar boxes but that appears to be pretty expensive so I'm hoping you guys can suggest something else...thanks to anyone who provides any suggestions and/or info!
Air popped popcorn? And, if you get the munchies...
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #2745
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Air popped popcorn? And, if you get the munchies...
Haha I like where your head is at! I prefer legit movie theater though, particularly with extra heart attack butter on top!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #2746
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Can you describe your cigar lock boxes, otter box style?

You can check out the foam cigar trays or I just use the 5 finger bags from Michael, cigarnut, and just leave the ends open. With the bags at least, they are protected and you can stuff more cigars in the container without the loss of room from the foam.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:11 AM   #2747
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Can you describe your cigar lock boxes, otter box style?

You can check out the foam cigar trays or I just use the 5 finger bags from Michael, cigarnut, and just leave the ends open. With the bags at least, they are protected and you can stuff more cigars in the container without the loss of room from the foam.

Lock & Lock boxes, basically seal at the top with 4 locks on each side to clamp the top down...the finger bags aren't a bad idea! I'll be sure to check the price on them, because they might just work....still open to suggestions though!
Old 04-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #2748
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lazy to link from my phone, google foam cigar trays.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #2749
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I have a question, what's a "bonjing" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #2750
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I have a question, what's a "bonjing" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That’s not cigar related