Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #21
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Frying Turkeys

We fried a brined turkey tonight and it was delicious. This was not a dry run for turkey day, my wife's God parents were in town and my in-laws always wanted to try his 'famous' fried turkey. I will smoke a turkey and my wife will make one in the oven on Thanksgiving. That means in the span of one week I will have had all three types of turkey. Not a bad week.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:34 AM   #22
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

I will be frying at least one, I have two, but I think the crowd will be small. If I do another I will either smoke or try the brine and bake thing. Also your pot is designed for a specific size bird, stick to it or you can have an over flow of oil or uneven cooking. If you want to do bigger birds get a bigger pot, but make sure your burner is capable of heating more. I have heard of the hams and roasts being fried maybe for Christmas I will have to do the ham for a change of pace. Been frying turkeys for about 13 years now and still like it over the traditional method.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:37 AM   #23
Ron1YY

I do a pretty decent fried turkey

I did (2) 20 Lbs for MMH III in Feb. I brine them for 2 days before frying them and inject them the night before. Sometimes I buy the injection and sometimes I make it.

Here's what I used this year to inject:

I made an Italian dressing

EV Olive oil
Italian seaonings
Balsamic Vinegar
Soy sauce
some Mojo seasomings
Poultry Worstershire sauce
Garlic finely minced
Onion finely chopped
and added a shot or so of Coca Cola to add sweetness

I did a 21 pounder for the office and there was nothing left again this year. I've been doing it for our thanksgiving lunch for the last 4 years and it's always a hit.

It takes around an hour or so to do it. If you do a bird over 16 pounds, make sure that the skin covers all areas of the meat as that is what will get crisp rather than burning the meat.

As has been said here and NEEDS to be followed

The Turkey (or whichever you are frying) needs to be fully thawed and patted dry before you drop the bird in the fryer

Check the level the night before with water to make sure you DO NOT put too much oil in (WILL cause a fire or Burn yourself very badly)

When dropping the bird, Go slowly and stop frequently until it is all the way in the pot.

I try to maintain a temp around 325* F for the cook time. When you put the bird in, the temp will drop. Watch it and then adjust it to stay at the temp you desire.

At around 45 min(Depending on the size of the Turkey) I check the internal temp with an instant read digital thermometer. I shoot for about 176-180 because when you get it out and rest it, it will be about as perfect and juicey as it can get.

That is all I can add for now. If I think of anything more, I'll add to this.

Enjoy and be careful frying your turkey
Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #24
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
The other important thing to do is NOT overfill the pot with oil!

I take the bird (still in it's wrapper usually) and place it in the clean pot. Then fill the pot with water (with the turkey still in it) until the water just covers the bird. mark the outside of the pot with a marker, drain the water, and prepare the bird.

When you are ready to fry the bird up, fill the pot up with oil to the level you previously marked. I usually go ojust a little shy. I figure the only part of the turkey that will possibly out of the oil is the knuckle bones of the legs and even then, the oil is boiling up around them.
Steve, shouldnt you remove the bird and THEN mark the level of the water inside? If you were to fill up the pot to the level when the bird was in the pot, the turkey will displace all of that excess oil....

Was that a misprint, or am I just assuming incorrectly??

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #25
ByrneBrew

I've been frying for about 5 years and as all have stated there are ways to do it safely. However one thing I've always done that has not been states is after getting the oil to 325 I shut the gas down put the turkey in and relight the burner. I try to idiot proof everything I do. This way if I screw up big time its very inconvenient, NOT very tragic.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #26
atlharp
Microaggressor

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
atlharp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1YY View Post
I do a pretty decent fried turkey

I did (2) 20 Lbs for MMH III in Feb. I brine them for 2 days before frying them and inject them the night before. Sometimes I buy the injection and sometimes I make it.

Here's what I used this year to inject:

I made an Italian dressing

EV Olive oil
Italian seaonings
Balsamic Vinegar
Soy sauce
some Mojo seasomings
Poultry Worstershire sauce
Garlic finely minced
Onion finely chopped
and added a shot or so of Coca Cola to add sweetness

I did a 21 pounder for the office and there was nothing left again this year. I've been doing it for our thanksgiving lunch for the last 4 years and it's always a hit.

It takes around an hour or so to do it. If you do a bird over 16 pounds, make sure that the skin covers all areas of the meat as that is what will get crisp rather than burning the meat.

As has been said here and NEEDS to be followed

The Turkey (or whichever you are frying) needs to be fully thawed and patted dry before you drop the bird in the fryer

Check the level the night before with water to make sure you DO NOT put too much oil in (WILL cause a fire or Burn yourself very badly)

When dropping the bird, Go slowly and stop frequently until it is all the way in the pot.

I try to maintain a temp around 325* F for the cook time. When you put the bird in, the temp will drop. Watch it and then adjust it to stay at the temp you desire.

At around 45 min(Depending on the size of the Turkey) I check the internal temp with an instant read digital thermometer. I shoot for about 176-180 because when you get it out and rest it, it will be about as perfect and juicey as it can get.

That is all I can add for now. If I think of anything more, I'll add to this.

Enjoy and be careful frying your turkey
Ron's lying!

I know for fact he takes it and shoves it in a big microwave oven, that is right before he serves his famous (right out of the jar) RAGU sauce over Ramen noodles.

ATL
atlharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #27
Ron1YY

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlharp View Post
Ron's lying!

I know for fact he takes it and shoves it in a big microwave oven, that is right before he serves his famous (right out of the jar) RAGU sauce over Ramen noodles.

ATL
I will now call you Junior Admiral Douche Bag
Old 11-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #28
atlharp
Microaggressor

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
atlharp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1YY View Post
I will now call you Junior Admiral Douche Bag
hey at least I didn't say you were doing you microwaving in a Red Sox hat!

ATL
atlharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #29
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Thanks! Yes that was what I ment to type, but my mind works faster than my fingers.

Yes, it is important to remove the bird then mark the oile level! Otherwise things get very exciting (in a bad way!).

Thanks for the correction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Steve, shouldnt you remove the bird and THEN mark the level of the water inside? If you were to fill up the pot to the level when the bird was in the pot, the turkey will displace all of that excess oil....

Was that a misprint, or am I just assuming incorrectly??
Old 11-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #30
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Another great point that I missed. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrneBrew View Post
I've been frying for about 5 years and as all have stated there are ways to do it safely. However one thing I've always done that has not been states is after getting the oil to 325 I shut the gas down put the turkey in and relight the burner. I try to idiot proof everything I do. This way if I screw up big time its very inconvenient, NOT very tragic.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #31
Old Boar
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
Cohiba Army (Retired)
Old Boar is on a distinguished road

I use a double insulated electric deep fryer.
Two gal. of oil will cover most 14 lbs turkeys. Three (3) min. per pound + 5 min.
Never had a problem. Did six brines and six turkeys, one to local Fire Station amd one to local Police Prec.
Open flame and to much oil is not for me to consider the propane fryers.
Old Boar is offline   Reply With Quote