Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Networking

Old 12-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road
Default Any leads? Philadelphia

As of today, I will be out of work. I recently graduated from La Salle University with a degree is History and Political Science. I'm looking for most anything that's permanent and decent paying. I've have been on a few interviews but have no news to date. Does anyone know of anything that could be of interest?
Posted via Mobile Device
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any leads? Philadelphia

Did you check Penn?

https://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/
Old 12-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
scoot
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Did you check Penn?

https://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/
I've applied to a handful of jobs there with the thought of facilitating a transition into one of their part-time grad programs, but I haven't heard a word from them. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

history and poli sci? your only choices seem to be grad school or teaching. I too have a ba in poli sci and can't find anything
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I was Philosophy and Political Science and my first real paying job was in real estate... There's no such thing a permanent job in Commonwealth of MA. Do you have career aspirations? Degrees in the subjects you have, tend not to see things from a vocational stand point.

Election time is right around the corner. I would start hedging your bets on a few political figures you think can win and get your ears wet on campaigning. If your candidate wins, you'll get a job out of it for sure.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
scoot
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I was Philosophy and Political Science and my first real paying job was in real estate... There's no such thing a permanent job in Commonwealth of MA. Do you have career aspirations? Degrees in the subjects you have, tend not to see things from a vocational stand point.

Election time is right around the corner. I would start hedging your bets on a few political figures you think can win and get your ears wet on campaigning. If your candidate wins, you'll get a job out of it for sure.
This is one of my options, but it requires me biding my time until campaigns get off the ground, and, after that, working for little to no money until the general elections in November. And there's always the possibility that the candidate doesn't win.

I've applied and interviewed, in some cases, for positions in the banking, insurance, and legal industries as well as a number of federal and local government positions.

As I said before, I would like to get back to school but, I already have a good amount of outstanding loans from my time as an undergraduate making graduate school a financial impossibility without a permanent job. I would potentially like to get a masters in public policy or government administration and get into policy/intelligence research.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions so far.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You can try the Federal Contracting companies and look through career opportunities. If you can become secret cleared, that can help. Work on your resume so it sounds like you have experience and have accomplished things.

I let my immediate needs of making cash over rule doing something scholatic when I graduated. Paying bills is a mother...
Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
scoot
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
You can try the Federal Contracting companies and look through career opportunities. If you can become secret cleared, that can help. Work on your resume so it sounds like you have experience and have accomplished things.

I let my immediate needs of making cash over rule doing something scholatic when I graduated. Paying bills is a mother...
That is something I have yet to do. Is there a communal place to look at Federal Contractor opportunities, or is it something that has to be done company by company? Thank you for your help.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
That is something I have yet to do. Is there a communal place to look at Federal Contractor opportunities, or is it something that has to be done company by company? Thank you for your help.
Best thing to do is look through each Federal Contractors sites, you can also try http://usajobs.gov/. Personally, I am not a fan of actually Civil Service jobs; they're too much of a PITA with KSA's and so much BS to apply. Then again, we are at different stages of our careers. The Federal Contractors are lot less hurdles to jump through.

I'd go after contract opportunities rather than a "permanent" opportunity as you're more likely to find employment, get a higher wage, and build your resume experience much quicker. Many people turn their nose to contracting, but I have been doing it exclusively for 12+ years and have had very little bench time during my career. Most gigs I end on a Friday and start the new contract on Monday... That being said, there are a lot of people who more technically skilled, yet are sitting on their rears waiting for work.

Your best chance at getting a job you like is while you are working. Your confidince is higher and your mind is clearer. Nothing worse than going to an interview desperate. Hiring managers can sense it and you may not come off as collected and calm.

So, if I were you, I'd take a non-career job in the short run and work on an opportunity that is more career-like. The crappy job for immediate cash does not need to go on the resume either. You want your resume to have focus. If you want to be an analyst or something, posting your waiting tables jobs is doing little, just as the opposite would be true if you wanted to wait tables... Not knocking waiting tables; my cousin makes almost 100K doing it and is friends with half the Red Sox & Celtics that want him to be their waiter.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
I've applied to a handful of jobs there with the thought of facilitating a transition into one of their part-time grad programs, but I haven't heard a word from them. Thanks for the help!
Keep following up, get in anyway you can because they love to hire from inside.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

You might want to consider picking something up like a foreign language to give you a huge edge on one the best times ever of economic growth. China, India, and Brazil are growing economies like crazy; that is where the opportunities are. I'd be hesitant to run to Brazil as there are already many engilsh speakers with western/euro herritage.

If you learned Hindi or Chinese, to at least conversational and basic read/write, you could latch on to opportunities in business, lobbying, or hi-tech quite easily. Hindi is not too difficult to pick up.