Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-20-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
thecatch83

Default 65% HF beads reading 70%???

I know yet another bead thread, but this is a strange one. I have 2 ounces of 65% HF beads in my 100 ct desktop humidor that I seasoned for a week (see thread) and both of my digitals (both recently calibrated with boveda calibration kit) are reading between 69-70% I used the formula to see if I'm using enough beads and according to my humidor dimensions, 2 OZ. is plenty.

In my 54 ct. coolidor with four cedar trays, and 5-6 boxes of sticks, I am using the remaining 14 oz. of beads in a dish and my digital is reading 65%. I swapped out digital hygrometers just to see if there was a difference, and the desktop digital (from my cooler) ended up going up to 70%, and the digital in my desktop (that I moved to my cooler) ended up going down to 65%. It's my understanding that adding more than enough beads won't increase RH but will only improve the overall efficiency of said beads...........so what gives? How is it possible that 65% beads are holding RH in a seasoned humidor half full of sticks at 70%?

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42972
Old 03-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
thecatch83

Default Re: 65% HF beads reading 70%???

Some photos for clarification.

My only conclusion is that there aren't enough un-moistened beads to collect excess swings in humidity.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Did you have the beads in the humi while seasoning or add them once it was seasoned?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
thecatch83

No, I used bowls of DW and a seasoning packet from Boveda during the week long seasoning.........the beads, I just added a couple days ago. Maybe things will settle over time?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
No, I used bowls of DW and a seasoning packet from Boveda during the week long seasoning.........the beads, I just added a couple days ago. Maybe things will settle over time?
That's what I'm thinking. Give it time to level out as I think the humidor(s) are seasoned to 70%. Might be faster if you leave the beads out for a few hours to let some of the moisture in them go, then put them back in so they can pull in the "extra" humidity.\

Also, if your cigars are smoking up to par, then I wouldn't worry yourself too much. As long as you're enjoying your cigars then it really doesn't matter what RH you have.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #6
thecatch83

Precisely what I was thinking MJ.....furthermore, the last couple of cigars I have smoked both needed a relight, and smoked a little too green for my liking. I'm going to pull out my HF tube from my desktop for a day or two and reevaluate the RH.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Just remember to have patience with it. I've been in your situation a bunch of times and I always tried cutting corners to get the RH to exactly where I wanted it (the opposite of you though, I alway had to bring up the RH) and it never ended up the way I wanted it to. I ended up waiting anyway for the RH to come back naturally, only it took 2-3 days longer because I had to deal with my screw up.

Rest assured, your humi WILL reach your desired RH. Its only a matter of time. If your cigars feel a bit too squishy or moister overall, I'd plan ahead and drybox a cigar or 3 for when you'll be wanting a smoke later on.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
thecatch83

Thanks MJ....great advice and input! The beauty of it is, I have nothing but time. I have done all the research, taken all the right steps in regards to seasoning, humidification, digital hygrometers etc., and I know the rewards will be great!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
thecatch83

One note, what is the fine white powder at the bottom of my dish? Is this a normal byproduct of the beads when you add DW?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

You should have purchased Shilala beads!!

The fine white powder is dust from broken beads.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
I have found that when seasoning a humi, it usually is in excess and the RH is higher than needed. My vino trays were close to 80RH when I seasoned. I had to open the door for 24 hours and then put my sticks back in.

Give it time to drop and it will stabilize.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

If your beads are over-saturated, they will not pull humidity out of the air. I don't know if that is the case, but if you pull them out and leave them sitting out, they will release some of the moisture in them and presumably have more capacity for pulling excess moisture out of your humidor.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Patience. If your cigars or humidor are above 65% it will take days or weeks to bring the Rh down to the desired range.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Patience. If your cigars or humidor are above 65% it will take days or weeks to bring the Rh down to the desired range.
also, the beads won't magically make the humidity 65% if there is more humidity than that amount can absorb. Full beads means no more lowering of the RH via that route. Your pics seem to indicate that the beads are mostly full.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #15
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
also, the beads won't magically make the humidity 65% if there is more humidity than that amount can absorb. Full beads means no more lowering of the RH via that route. Your pics seem to indicate that the beads are mostly full.
Update: I pulled apart my bead tube in my desktop and they were almost entirely clear (which would explain the humidity spike), so I infused some heat from a hair dryer, and turned 25% of them back to white. Time will tell....and in regards to the dish of beads in my coolidor, they are holding RH at 65% (see hygrometer) and should be good to go.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Humpdebump is on a distinguished road

I have the total opposite. I just got done seasoning my new Humidor, had a bowl of distiller water in for 2 weeks and it pretty much stayed at 70%. I then added my beads for a day or two then added cigars. My Humidor is 150 ct and I have the extra large 70% heartfelt tube and my hygrometer is reading at 60 - 61 %. I know some people like their sticks around that but I'm curious as to why it's not 70%, and yes my seal is tight, it's from waxing moon forgot to add that I did test my hygrometer and it's 5% off

Last edited by Humpdebump; 03-20-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Forgot
Humpdebump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #17
thecatch83

There have been several issues with HF beads not holding their prescribed humidity. Over at BOTL, numerous brothers have beads that are showing 70% on calibrated digitals despite being 65% beads.......a possible mix up at the factory?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #18
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Humpdebump is on a distinguished road

It seems like it's still holding at 60%, I wonder if it's because it's so dry in my house or what. Like I said, I figured the extra large would be sufficient. I just don't want ot to fall below 60%.
Humpdebump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #19
thecatch83

I guess I would rather take 70% over 60% because you can always dry box......but after all this trouble of doing extensive research, and buying supplies etc. I would much rather prefer to have the luxury of just pulling out a stick on a moments notice and have it smoke perfectly......planning out what I will be smoking three days down the road is too much work for me right now with all the Nuclear BS and Tsunami relief flights I have been making here in Japan.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #20
Ruggshod

I'm having the same issue. I ordered a large 65% puck in January and it has been reading closer to 70%. I am storing my sticks in tupperware with a few sheets of cedar. But, they're smoking okay for now. Just wondering what will happen when the temperature goes up in a couple months.