Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
BUCASmoker
Where the sun never sets

First Name: Vadim
Trading: (9)
BUCASmoker is on a distinguished road
Default Humiditiy issue

So I live in Newport, which is very humid in the summer. As of 2 days ago, my humidor is at 81%, and my sticks are coming out pretty wet when it's time to light them (they lite, but theyre hard to cut since they just squish under the cutter blade).

I just recently ordered some beads from Scott, and after 2 days they still haven't brought it down much (78%).

Anything I can do? Or should I just wait out the summer?
BUCASmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Darrell

Default Re: Humiditiy issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCASmoker View Post
So I live in Newport, which is very humid in the summer. As of 2 days ago, my humidor is at 81%, and my sticks are coming out pretty wet when it's time to light them (they lite, but theyre hard to cut since they just squish under the cutter blade).

I just recently ordered some beads from Scott, and after 2 days they still haven't brought it down much (78%).

Have you considered pulling out all humidification sources and seeing if that helps?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Anthem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (18)
Bolivar
Anthem is on a distinguished road

I keep my cigars in the basement since it's cooler than upstairs. Unfortunately, it seems to be more humid in the basement, but I picked up a dehumidifier, and I run this in the basement when I find the RH creeping up in the humidors.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

You could make a dry box and put the cigars in there a few days to a week or more before you smoke them.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Mike
Trading: (11)
Prospector will become famous soon enough

The beads should work but humidity stabilization is not a quick process, especially if the sticks are squishy-wet as you say. Give it some more time.
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCASmoker View Post

Read the directions. Please.
That's why I go through all the trouble to write them, print them, and send them.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
BUCASmoker
Where the sun never sets

First Name: Vadim
Trading: (9)
BUCASmoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Read the directions. Please.
That's why I go through all the trouble to write them, print them, and send them.
I read through them, I am just not sure if its the beads or something wrong with the humi... Should I wait a week like your instructions say before I start panicking?
BUCASmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
ChasDen

I use Scott's beads and they are great. Once things get under control you will be fine. Don't panic. Like he said read the instructions for drying out the beads so they can absorb the excess moisture. I have had the same problem in the past and it can be frustrating. Scott will shoot me for what I am about to say, but if its getting way too wet too fast and you don't have any dry beads to work with you can also try some of the kitty litter beads that have been mentioned around the forums. Granted they don't work well at releasing moisture and maintaining the RH but they do do what they were intended for and that's suck up moisture. We went through a wet period last year where it rained for like 18 straight days and the RH in the house was like 100%. I used them to keep the RH down then and then removed them when the weather dried out.

Chas
Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

You can also get some DampRid and use that to bring the humidity under control and then use Scott's beads to regulate the humidity.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
You can also get some DampRid and use that to bring the humidity under control and then use Scott's beads to regulate the humidity.
I've done that myself in the past, too.
Especially when I'm starting a new humi or cooler I built to pull water out of the wood and the new wet cigars.
Patience is the key.
That's what this hobby's about. It ain't a microwave world.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
BFallehy
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
BFallehy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That's what this hobby's about. It ain't a microwave world.

So your saying I shouldn't be microwaving my cigars when they are too wet?
BFallehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
It ain't a microwave world.
Reminds me of my days pushing papers for a yoga studio. These soccer moms would call up and basically demand we fax them karma - NOW.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

most empty boxes have scrap cedar in them if you have any laying around the house add it to the humi it will slowly absorb a little moisture. Otherwise your local B&M should have plenty
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:55 AM   #14
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
I will 2nd the DampRid it works great
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
I will 2nd the DampRid it works great
I'll third it, cause I have a can in my wine fridge beside my desk, and I went with sofaman to walmart to get it.