Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #221
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUguy View Post
Sweet potatoes should handle the heat with no problem. They are big business in south Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. They are usually planted around late spring/ early summer.
I'm talking either red or russetts. They need cooler weather.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #222
BC-Axeman

We just harvested some purple potatoes for dinner tonight. And corn. And squash, of course. And string beans, mmmmm. Tomatoes should ripen, now that we've had some hot days and warm nights. Stuff is just constantly delivering about now.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #223
BC-Axeman

Just some snapshots.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #224
BC-Axeman

Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #225
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Lance.... Are you using the green plastic fencing as runner strips? If so, what are you growing on them. I've considered that as a replacement to my bamboo poles for green beans, but am concerned the cleanup at season's end would be a nightmare. Any experience with that?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #226
BC-Axeman

Cliff- The greenbeans grow up an inch mesh screen made for that and it is hard to clean. They are going to grow on the corn next. I think the plastic fence would work great but has limited lifetime. It gets brittle and deteriorates from the sun.
The fencing material is for the cukes and squash. The cukes had other plans (first picture in second set). There is no gopher block out that direction.

I just planted some beet and carrot seed this afternoon. A lot of carrots. Mmmmmmm!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #227
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

I made a couple of trellises for my cucumbers this year. places them at about a 50-60 degree angle (supported with red-top posts at top). Worked fairly well, but still needed to train them to grow up the trellis. Still had "leakers" that wanted to grow on ground no matter what. But kept more off ground this year and was easier to see and pick. But still had half a dozen in weeds in the ground that I missed (until they got football size!). Hadn't considered that the plastic fencing would get brittle! Not worth the time if it's not good for at least 5 seasons. Still looking for alternatives to bamboo poles. They usually are good for 2-3 seasons, which is still shorter than I'd like. Tried twine last year. Didn't do a lot for me. Would have to have end posts 8 feet out of ground to give the beans running room. The 6 feet I used ended up with them growing up, over, and back to ground. Was a mess to pick.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #228
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Making a little more progress in the clearing of my garden area.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #229
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Very good. I can see dirt there! Hand pulling weeds and stuff? Or mowed and tilled? Going for a cool weather crop?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #230
Fordman4ever

Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Pulling weeds by hand and shovel. I only have 1 yard waste trash can, so I can only do a little bit at a time. I finally finished pulling all the weeds today. I'm probably gonna till it all up this weekend.

Anybody know of anything I can plant now? this is my first time having a garden this big, so I'm kind of new to growing anything other than tomatoes.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #231
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Earl, it's getting real late in season. You'd better focus on quick maturing and/or cool weather hardy selections. That included most leafy greens, broccoli may still have time. Root veggies Probably don't have enough time remaining. I'd think spinach, turnip greens, maybe leaf lettuce, cabbage. More expensive, but I'd go with starter plants on lettuce and cabbage, shave a couple weeks off growing time. Only problem might be finding plants and seeds this late. Many herbs are cold hardy. You may consider setting part of the area aside for herbs.

Good luck with what you end up planting. Hopefully you'll be in-country at the start of spring next year, and able to go full tilt on planting!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #232
Fordman4ever

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to get some stuff grown this year because I'm gonna be gone for 4 months of the growing season next year.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #233
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Picked a chitload of peppers yesterday! Those serranos are brutal. Brought the majority of them to work as my gut is about tired of them.

Picked up a dozen Blue Max collards this weekend. Fall/winter garden getting ready to go in the ground this weekend.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #234
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

We've been eating Honeydews that are heavenly. I'm going to cut a bunch up and freeze them for smoothies.
We've been making sketti sauce, too.
The new critters here turned out to be deer, ravens, and vine borers. They whooped my corn, punkins, and zucchini. Next year I'll figure out how to fight them all Pre-emptively. Shame about our corn, it was really nice.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #235
BC-Axeman

I have these peppers that on the label says "twice as hot as regular habaneros". I soon will find out what that means.
Never ending baskets of squash, 2 or 3 pounds of green beans at a time, tomatoes, tomatoes and more tomatoes, strawberries and raspberries are harvesting now.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #236
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
CoastGuard (Active)
Shawn hines will become famous soon enough

Little late on this one and don't have a garden going right now due to a deployment, but I have 100 Acres 170 pecan trees and 10 acres of peach trees(more coming this winter)
Old 09-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #237
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

CoastGuard (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
We've been eating Honeydews that are heavenly. I'm going to cut a bunch up and freeze them for smoothies.
We've been making sketti sauce, too.
The new critters here turned out to be deer, ravens, and vine borers. They whooped my corn, punkins, and zucchini. Next year I'll figure out how to fight them all Pre-emptively. Shame about our corn, it was really nice.
I know the way... 30-06 works ever time even from the back porch
Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #238
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

That's a crazy mess of trees to take care of. I don't think I could prune all those trees in a year.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #239
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

CoastGuard (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That's a crazy mess of trees to take care of. I don't think I could prune all those trees in a year.
How could I put this... A PAIN IN THE ASS, right now they look like bushes cause I am over here
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #240
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn hines View Post
I know the way... 30-06 works ever time even from the back porch
I live in a concrete suburban development since I got married a couple years ago. I've lived on a farm or in the country pretty much all my life. Imagine not being able to grab the .35 every time something's eating the garden. It's hell, my man. Sheer hell.