Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road
Default I- Tunes onto a Driod

So I am a "have to buy CD" person. I love taking the CD and looking at the insert book while I listen to new music. I have only ever bought one album on I-tunes. I have been taking my CDs and uploading them to a hard drive to save them.
I'm heading on a trip and thought that I'd transfer some of my music onto my Droid (Lg Thunderbolt to be exact). I have all the music onto my SD card, but the only thing that won't show up on the music program is the one I-tunes album. It is also the only music that when I look at the properties is "protected".
What am I missing here? Can this album not play on my Droid? they are all MPEG4 files so I don't see why it can't except it being protected.
Thanks for any help.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I- Tunes onto a Driod

Try Double Twist, it's basically an I-pod for your droid. You have to go onto http://doubletwist.com/ and synch it to your phone, I have had no problems with it. It's free unless you want album art then there is a fee. Let me know if you have any problems.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

or try google music. you get all of your music and it doesn't take up any space on your phone.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
or try google music. you get all of your music and it doesn't take up any space on your phone.
never knew this or heard of it thanks for the info.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
assuming you have an internet connection... in a 2G area? Wont work well... looking to listen on that long plane trip? Have to pony up for the in-flight internet...

Otherwise, you still store stuff on your phone.

I use a program called Cubed (superscript-3 in the market) and love it, even has an EQ. Free album art and can use local pics or internet for the art source.

To get around your m4p issue from iTunes, google how to convert m4p to mp3, theres alot of free programs that will do that.

And fwiw, you have an Android phone, not a Droid. A Droid is a line of phones from Motorola... I hate that they did that, it causes so much confusion.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
And fwiw, you have an Android phone, not a Droid. A Droid is a line of phones from Motorola... I hate that they did that, it causes so much confusion.
Your right, sorry!!! My bad

I will try to download another program. Was trying to avoid another program but looks like that's what I'm going to have to do. Is there an I-tunes program? Maybe I'll look into that too.
Thanks guys!! Looks like I'll do a little research before the football games today.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

It doesn't matter what type of app you use to play the music. The problem is that you're trying to play an MPEG-4 protected file. You need to convert it to an MP3 and then it's easy to play. There are programs on the internet you can use to do this they cost around $40. Since you only have 1 album to convert you can just burn the songs onto a blank CD and then re-load them to iTunes as MP3 files off of the CD. The downside to this method is then you'll have to type in the name, artist, and album info for each song. I recently did this for a couple hundred songs when I switched from an iPhone to a Droid. It was a major hassle for that many songs and I should have just bought some software. If it was just one album it should be no problem.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

You can select the songs in iTunes and have it create mp3 versions. Select then right click, select create mp3. Then just copy to your phone.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
It doesn't matter what type of app you use to play the music. The problem is that you're trying to play an MPEG-4 protected file. You need to convert it to an MP3 and then it's easy to play. There are programs on the internet you can use to do this they cost around $40. Since you only have 1 album to convert you can just burn the songs onto a blank CD and then re-load them to iTunes as MP3 files off of the CD. The downside to this method is then you'll have to type in the name, artist, and album info for each song. I recently did this for a couple hundred songs when I switched from an iPhone to a Droid. It was a major hassle for that many songs and I should have just bought some software. If it was just one album it should be no problem.
I found out that the player program didn't work. there was a converter program that had a trial version that transfered the first 3min of each song. The good news was it was a Dropkick album so none of the songs were 3min!!! This did work. the CD burning sounds like a good idea too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
You can select the songs in iTunes and have it create mp3 versions. Select then right click, select create mp3. Then just copy to your phone.
I tried this and didn't seem to do the trick. Don't know if I did it wrong, but I couldn't get it to work on the phone.

Just another reason i hate Apple!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
You can't do this with protected MP4's only unprotected ones. When iTunes first opened up they were selling only protected MP4 files to quell the anti-piracy histerics going on in the record industry after the whole Napster thing. Later everyone relaxed and now they sell unprotected MP4's. When Apple made the change you could convert your protected files to unprotected ones for a discounted rate.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You can't do this with protected MP4's only unprotected ones. When iTunes first opened up they were selling only protected MP4 files to quell the anti-piracy histerics going on in the record industry after the whole Napster thing. Later everyone relaxed and now they sell unprotected MP4's. When Apple made the change you could convert your protected files to unprotected ones for a discounted rate.
Ah, forgot about this. You could always burn the tracks to a cd, then use any program to rip to mp3.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
goomer

Get an Iphone.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomer View Post
Get an Iphone.
Why would anyone want an iPhone when they could have a Droid. Android is a far superior operating system.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #14
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomer View Post
Get an Iphone.
Quote:
Why would anyone want an iPhone when they could have a Droid. Android is a far superior operating system.
I second Mikey. If you missed one of the earlier posts of mine: "Just another reason for me to hate Apple!!"
Plus the new I-phone isn't even 4G.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #15
Thrak

HUpmann

Actually, nothing in the US is 4G...

I hate apple, but the dual antenna '3G' speed of the new 4S is really impressive from a technology standpoint.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
Actually, nothing in the US is 4G...

I hate apple, but the dual antenna '3G' speed of the new 4S is really impressive from a technology standpoint.
Tell that to my Samsung Droid Charge on the Verizon LTE 4G network. I've run speed tests on it several times and it's around 10 times faster than the 3G network.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

My LG Thunderbolt is also running 4g. And my patient is the one that is setting up the
4g network in the area, ao I don't know what you mean by "Nothing in the US is 4G"
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Anyone here using At&t LTE? I read the initial deployment was blazing fast, but on the other hand so was 3g when it first dropped (relatively). I hope once it gets saturated it can still perform. I know Verizon's LTE here in ATL is amazing.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #19
Thrak

HUpmann

Quote:
Tell that to my Samsung Droid Charge on the Verizon LTE 4G network. I've run speed tests on it several times and it's around 10 times faster than the 3G network.
That still doesnt make it 4G, it makes it faster than 3G.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...iemTP5_a8DrlPg

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-201...gh-4g-baloney/

4G is 100mbps, which none of the carriers are even close to. Anyone who tells you different is either spouting their marketing bs, or is uninformed.

Last edited by Thrak; 01-24-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #20
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

This is the problem the music industry is having with the digital format. They refuse to adapt to it. When you buy a product you should be able to use it however you see fit, but unfortunately they see the digital format as an excuse to lock you into only being able to play the file on one device. Thus you have an entire market created for breaking the copy protection on files so people can play them on another device or burn them to a CD to listen to in the car. I understand they're trying to limit piracy, but treating your customers as criminals is not the answer.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote