Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Fresh Rolled Cigars?

I'm not to sure what "fresh rolled" exactly means but I am guessing it's basically what it says it is.

A cigar that has no ageing time?

Are these best smoked right away or should they be aged?

I am thinking about trying the AJ Fernandez Fresh‑Rolled cigars but I want to be sure that I know what I am buying.

Teach me about the fresh rolled cigars please.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
levrac68
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Todd
Trading: (0)
levrac68 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fresh Rolled Cigars?

I've bought a few cigars that were specifically made for me by a shop near my house. My experience with them is that they're a bit moist for my liking, so I let them sit in my humi for about 2 weeks. As far as aging is concerned, a cigar will change over time. The flavors will blend together and depending on how you store it, it will mellow with time. If you buy a few, there's nothing wrong with a little experimentation.

Enjoy
TF
levrac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Fresh rolled to me means right from the roller's hands to me. I have smoked a few in my time, and as TF said, I find them a bit wet to enjoy, but the experience itself made it worth my while.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Same experience for me. I consider a fresh roll something that was rolled right there or at least rolled within a couple of days.

I am not sure I would consider something I buy in a box as a fresh roll. Might be more of a marketing gimmick. If the box sits around for six months, not exactly fresh anymore.

With that said a lot of NCs are aged before they are shipped, so this is probably the distinction they are trying to make.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

From what I have read about some, the tobacco's used are already aged, then rolled and shipped, no aging after they have been rolled. So fresh rolled.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

From what I've seen online the reviews for these are good for a cheap smoke
Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Tom on this one...right from the rollers hand to mine. And as others have stated, something to experience, but way too wet for my liking.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Close by in downtown Chucktown, Lianos Dos Palmas rolls 'em fresh daily. They're great as soon as the pectin dries.

Last edited by jjirons69; 04-11-2012 at 06:35 AM.
jjirons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

With a cigar that just finished rolling - I've found that 24 - 72 hours was perfect for letting the pectin dry and the cigar tasted perfect. Anything more than that and it tasted too fresh. Don't ask me why - but my cigar age window seems to be 1-3 days or 3+ months
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
With a cigar that just finished rolling - I've found that 24 - 72 hours was perfect for letting the pectin dry and the cigar tasted perfect. Anything more than that and it tasted too fresh. Don't ask me why - but my cigar age window seems to be 1-3 days or 3+ months
Posted via Mobile Device
Rule of 3's?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

There's a place in the Bronx that makes them and they are OK. Fun to smoke if you can get a blend and size you enjoy.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

i find that fresh rolled cigars are (as said before) a bit wet. however, they can show a progression in a cigar that you cannot get otherwise.

think of it this way, most cigars that you buy online have had some serious time in an aging room. that room is there for a reason. when you make a cigar you are adding moisture to the mix. (this is why most think they are too moist for them) this moisture actually re-starts the fermentation process. if you are able to have a cigar within a day or so of it being made that is truly fresh rolled. after that, you may end up getting some of the ammonia flavors that are a by-product of fermentation. until the cigar settles down (most of the reason for the aging room) it will be unpalatable to many.

if you do get fresh rolled cigars, smoke a few very quickly. then hold on to the rest for quite some time before you light up.

or try them a few weeks out. see whats goin on in there.

As for the AJ freshrolled, i have no idea how long ago they were rolled. days? weeks? months? i have no clue. who knows where they are in the process.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzi16 View Post
i find that fresh rolled cigars are (as said before) a bit wet. however, they can show a progression in a cigar that you cannot get otherwise.

think of it this way, most cigars that you buy online have had some serious time in an aging room. that room is there for a reason. when you make a cigar you are adding moisture to the mix. (this is why most think they are too moist for them) this moisture actually re-starts the fermentation process. if you are able to have a cigar within a day or so of it being made that is truly fresh rolled. after that, you may end up getting some of the ammonia flavors that are a by-product of fermentation. until the cigar settles down (most of the reason for the aging room) it will be unpalatable to many.

if you do get fresh rolled cigars, smoke a few very quickly. then hold on to the rest for quite some time before you light up.

or try them a few weeks out. see whats goin on in there.

As for the AJ freshrolled, i have no idea how long ago they were rolled. days? weeks? months? i have no clue. who knows where they are in the process.
Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand now. I might buy a mazo of them and sit on them if I can. I could have bought them for around $1.00 a piece last night but didn't. Maby I should buy one and give it a try before I order a bunch.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have received a handful of fresh rolled Torano sticks at an event in 2009. Smoked one a few months later and it was very good. Then, smoked another about two and half years later and all the flavor was gone.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
smitty81
Have My Own Room

hmm...........well, maby I will just skip these.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand now. I might buy a mazo of them and sit on them if I can. I could have bought them for around $1.00 a piece last night but didn't. Maby I should buy one and give it a try before I order a bunch.
I think you guys are talking about different things. Smitty are you referring to particular brand called "fresh rolled" or a line within a brand? can you post a pic of what you are looking at?
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Here we go.

AJ Fernandez Fresh Rolled

Heres the description.

It isn't easy producing quality cigars at an affordable, everyday price, but thankfully AJ did us a solid. We asked for a fresh-rolled blend we could deliver every day; a blend designed and then initially rolled by AJ Fernandez himself.

If you're not familiar with Fernandez, he's responsible for the highly famed Man O' War brand, among a plethora of other premiums he produces for himself and other top-notch manufacturers such as Gurkha and Rocky Patel.

AJ's fresh-rolled cigars feature premium, Nicaraguan long leaf tobaccos all concealed with his acclaimed Ecuadorian-grown Nicaraguan-seed Habano wrapper for a full-flavored, medium-bodied experience. Masterfully constructed under the supervision of AJ Fernandez, these fresh-rolled cigars are a true testament to the art of cigar making.

Last edited by smitty81; 04-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

OH AJ STUFF! In that case...buy them and send them to me and I will protect you from smoking green cigars. I'm here to help.

Is there no description? these might be greenhorn's practice cigars too.

>>>Here's the skinny on the fresh rolled..

No bells and whistles but a great value. He had some off color habano ecuador wrapper and excess fillers he needed to use so we came up with this little brand. Good value day in and day out. It dawned on me that we really didn't have a bundle item as even his inexpensive stuff is boxed like Nica Libre etc. If you like the value line stuff out of his camp you will like this. Just a solid everyday smoke. If you are going in expecting a Man O War, Diesel or Ave Maria, you will be disappointed but if you want a quality made medium bodied habano, can't go wrong with these. Its really the first and will most likely be the only stick he makes under $2
Alex Svenson
Chief Merchant
Cigar.com <<<

Last edited by jluck; 04-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Pepin actually recommends your rule of thumb for the sticks he rolls at events. He hands em out and tells you to either smoke it within a day or after 1-2 months of rest. And from my own experience with rolling my own, I'd have to agree.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

The AJ Fresh Rolled cigars are one of the best cigars you can get for the money.
Well worth it. I am burning through a bundle of coronas and plan on buying more.
Do not hesitate!!!!!

Also, the Perdomo fresh rolled are great too.