Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road
Default Edgestar 28 (or equivalent) or regular Humidor

I was just wondering (because I don't know the answer).

If I purchased a Vino temp or Edgestar 28, would I have to plug it in to make it work as a humidor? If the location was cool enough (mine is) the only parameter I would need to work at would be humidity, correct?

I am trying to decide whether to go with the fridge or a wooden, regular humidor. Either way, I want something that really is nice and tight and does well at keeping the humidity inside.

It seems to me that the fridge, with the added shelves/draws, cost just as much as a decent (with sureseal) humidor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edgestar 28 (or equivalent) or regular Humidor

You can use any of them, you just have to plug the drain and use some sort of humidification device. Lots of guys unplug their wine coolers in the winter, doesn't harm a thing and it extends the life of the unit.
I think the draw is that they look very nice, especially when they are all pimped out with drawers and stuff. A fridge, not so much. A fridge isn't very sexy for showing off a very expensive collection, ya know?
Have fun, brother!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

The main consideration for a wine fridge as a humidor is the cooling ability in warmer climates.

One can use it as a wine fridge as a humidor without plugging it in if you are simply looking for anesthetics. Otherwise a coolerdor is a much cheaper alternative.

The simple answer to your questions is YES.
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

A good cooler will out perform a wooden humi if it seals well. A beautiful wooden humi beats the pants off most fridgadors in the looks dept. It really does boil down to what you want to spend, and what you want to get out of it. I probably don't need to plug in my fridgador 90% of the year. My desktop, even though it seals very well, in the RH of winter in Minnesota, with the furnace on, and humidity swings, the beads need recharging a bit more often. The marine cooler with the good seal, and kept fairly full and not opened very often? Rarely needs recharging. The fridgador with being opened more than 30 or 40 times a month seems to need recharging more often as well. I root around in it fairly frequently.

Beads are your friend, there are a couple good varieties with good reviews on the board here.

Form, function, cost, quality, all important considerations. Maybe you could tell us the rough size of the collection you have/maintain/wish to have, and a budget and space constraints, and we could better (maybe) guide you? What is important to you aesthetically?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

With humidification, nice drawers (ChasDen) & shelves & hygro(s) for a 28 bottle unit (assuming you find a good price for the unit) just figure $400 - $500 so if you don't need cooling just shop humidors with that in mind. All from experience of my recent 28 bottle conversion.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

One thing with both a cooler or wine fridge is that you need to seal up the drain plug. Most coolers have a little screw cap, but I would still recommend filling the drain with silicone. Same for the wine fridge.

Many on this site will argue that you should not seal up the drain plug in a wine fridge, but by analogy you would not leave big hole in your wooden humidor, would you? So plug it up.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
One thing with both a cooler or wine fridge is that you need to seal up the drain plug. Most coolers have a little screw cap, but I would still recommend filling the drain with silicone. Same for the wine fridge.

Many on this site will argue that you should not seal up the drain plug in a wine fridge, but by analogy you would not leave big hole in your wooden humidor, would you? So plug it up.
when setting mine up I tried it both ways to see and it definitely had to be plugged to hold humidity. I just put some black electical tape over mine and works fine.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

I am looking to hold about 300-500 sticks for seasoning. I have a desktop 25 stick and a (RH bleeding, cheep ass) wooden humidor that holds about 60 sticks. The desktop is a keeper (plain, but it works nice), the larger one needs to go.

I don't smoke a lot (1-2 a week) but I have noticed that holding the sticks for a while and letting them age makes a difference (to me anyway). I would like to buy some boxes and samplers of different brands and season them a bit before smoking.

I want something that looks decent (curb appeal) and is reasonably priced. I have seen some very nice wooden one here by a few folks and I am considering one of the smaller versions (cost consideration) for show and tell.

I would like the Edgestar (with draws and shelves) or an Aristocrat type for long term storage.

I am open to comments and suggestions.

Also, with the beads, which is the best way to go in that department?
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
captain53
Have My Own Room

Shilala Beads now sold by Cigar Nut right here in the Nut House are the best I have tried and I am very happy with them after 8 months of use in my Edgestar.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If you want to get some additional information on Shilala's Beads feel free to ask me questions or check out the web site (www.shilalasbeads.com).

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
irklak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDVC View Post
I am looking to hold about 300-500 sticks for seasoning. I have a desktop 25 stick and a (RH bleeding, cheep ass) wooden humidor that holds about 60 sticks. The desktop is a keeper (plain, but it works nice), the larger one needs to go.

I don't smoke a lot (1-2 a week) but I have noticed that holding the sticks for a while and letting them age makes a difference (to me anyway). I would like to buy some boxes and samplers of different brands and season them a bit before smoking.

I want something that looks decent (curb appeal) and is reasonably priced. I have seen some very nice wooden one here by a few folks and I am considering one of the smaller versions (cost consideration) for show and tell.

I would like the Edgestar (with draws and shelves) or an Aristocrat type for long term storage.

I am open to comments and suggestions.

Also, with the beads, which is the best way to go in that department?
I'm very, very happy with my Edgestar 28 bottle for aging. I have drawers on the way from ChasDen as well.

I think that is the way to go imho. I think they look fantastic too. I have not had to run it yet, and only plan to in the summer. It is 70/70 in there with Heartfelt beads without running at all.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
nater

For the size, I think the edgestar is hard to beat cost wise. Hence why mine is being delivered today