Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default Barefoot / Minimalist running

Anyone else into barefoot or minimalist running?

I had never been a runner, and still don't consider myself a good one but a couple years ago I started researching barefoot running and thought that it could be the solution to my problem. Ever since I was a teen I've had problems with my lower back. High impact activities like running made the disks in my lower back swell up and anytime I would run, the next day I could barely walk.

I wanted a pair of Five Fingers, but apparently my gorilla toes have separation anxiety and did not want to go into their appropriate places. I ended up with a pair of New Balance Minimus and have been loving them for the past 2 years.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Barefoot / Minimalist running

I'm usually barefooted sitting on my ass on the couch; that almost counts, doesn't it?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

That sounds pretty minimalist.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Newge
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Brad
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Newge is on a distinguished road

I do CrossFit and typically never run more than 3 miles at a time. All of my running is in a pair of New Balance Minimus Trail shoes. This is their version of the minimalist shoe. I went with these as opposed to five fingers because I wanted a real toe box. Other than Olympic lifts and squatting, all my other CrossFit activities are done in these shoes. My biggest piece of advice is if you decide to go to a minimalist shoe do so gradually. If you just throw a pair on and go out and run a few miles your legs are going to hurt like hell!

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-MT...ywords=minimus
Old 05-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

While at the outdoor shop yesterday I decided to give the VFFs another try. Things went much better this time and I walked out with a new pair of Komodos. I'm running in an event this weekend so I'm not going to try running in them till next week, but I'll be wearing them around until then.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

I run with a bare of Nike Free's. They're literally the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn when running.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Like Darren, I do the absolute minimum running. If less is more, then none is all, right?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I only run barefoot when I get a loud knock on my door in the middle of the night. The knock is normally followed by someone from some department yelling "search warrant" or something like that. Never stuck around long enough to hear them finish the phrase.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

[IMG][/IMG]

I picked these up after Christmas and I use them for running and Cross Fit... although I have been out of the gym for over a month due to a back injury... But best workout shoe/running shoe ever!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Are those the road gloves?

I know a lot of people rave about the trail and road gloves, I've checked them out a couple times and was never that impressed, but I may have to give them a serious look once the Minimus' finally bite it.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

I read "Born to Run" and became a believer. I got NB minimus and have have been easing into it the last couple months. So far no knee pain (from t bands) but I haven't begun running for speed yet. That is when the knee pain always started. Pulled calf last week and have been on bike and stepper only.

I am just concentrating running on my toes and staying off my heels and hoping form will follow function but I am wondering if I need to look into some more technique info. Maybe YouTube videos?

Read "Born to Run". I found it fascinating especially about the anthropological evidence.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Are those the road gloves?

I know a lot of people rave about the trail and road gloves, I've checked them out a couple times and was never that impressed, but I may have to give them a serious look once the Minimus' finally bite it.
Trail Gloves, its like wearing socks but a really firm sole. Best Gym/Running shoe I ever had!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarue View Post
I am just concentrating running on my toes and staying off my heels and hoping form will follow function but I am wondering if I need to look into some more technique info. Maybe YouTube videos?.
Check out some videos on Pose, and Chi running. I'm not completely convinced these are the best at least for me, especially the high kick back taught in the Pose method but if you can pick something up from them it may help.