Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road
Default 601 Red

As usual, below is the text from my review, pictures are available with the review of my site:

http://wolfandwhisky.com/601-red-habano/]601 Red Habano Robusto Review

Going further into the 601 line, I’ve made my way to the 601 Red Habano Robusto.

Construction: In the Red Label Habano, 601 provides a stick with a fresh and sweet pre-light smell that brings to mind marmalade and leather. There are two prominent veins, and no soft spots; it is rolled nice and tight with a good looking triple cap. Overall, the robusto is a good looking stick – well constructed with a solid weight and feel. I’m partial to the 601 band, too. There is a bit of detail, but not so much as to be too visually busy or gaudy. Plus, the consistency in design, with the exception of color, makes the various 601s line up nicely together, much in the same manner the Fuentes line up nicely.

A slow, smooth draw bring out plenty of white smoke, with more than sufficient amounts still being churned out at the final third. The burn was relatively even, although there were some uneven spots. I prefer to not touch up my cigar unless some environmental aspect (i.e. fan, wind, etc.) requires me to, and I let this one correct itself, which it did relatively quickly and without a problem. The ash was not particularly tight, but I wasn’t overly worried about it as it didn’t really have a noticeable impact on the burn or flavor. The first bit fell off at about an inch and three-quarters. To clarify, I mean it literally fell off – I thought I could get one more puff out of it before ashing, but was taken by surprise when it just toppled over. After that, though, it starting coming off in about quarter- to half-inch chunks.

Initial Flavors: The initial notes consist predominantly of cedar, with background hints of spice and to a lesser extent vanilla. The woody aspect of this was interesting, on the palate I attribute it more to cedar, but it wasn’t quite as sweet and may better be described as burning oak.

Continuing flavors: After about the first third, the spice picks up and runs in parallel with the cedar. The spice isn’t a particularly sweet spice, similar to what may be found in the Work of Art Maduro, but there are notes of cinnamon, and it is augmented by herbal notes.

At about the half-way point, the spice takes over, but the cedar remains in the background. This is the point where a hint of coffee becomes noticeable, which actually seems to bounce off the spice pretty well. An inch or so later, close to nearing the end, there is a very faint note of black licorice. To be clear, though, the spice and cedar are still the predominant qualities, with the coffee and black licorice more secondary aspects that complement and play off of the core palate. Think of them as the cheerleaders at a football game. They are there, and noticeable, but you don’t go to the game because of them. Well, maybe some people do.

At just under $4.00 per stick, this is an incredible smoke for the money. However, as I’ve stated before, I prefer to rate my smokes without price in mind. I can give this a solid 8.5, as it is complex, balanced, and well-constructed, and features a very amiable flavor profile. Stacking it up against my recollection of the 601 Green Habano Oscuro does leave it a little short, but the quality of both warrants a head to head between the two to confirm that the Green is a little more desirable.
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 601 Red

Nice review...I haven't tried to 601 Reds as I am "addicted" to the 601 Blues!!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
darkninja67

Nice review. I have tried the Green (love em) and the Blacks (very good too) but not the Blue (have one resting) or the Reds. Love the EO stuff though.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post
Nice review. I have tried the Green (love em) and the Blacks (very good too) but not the Blue (have one resting) or the Reds. Love the EO stuff though.
The Blue and Red were both very good, with the Green being my favorite as of now. I still have the Black to try.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

One of my favorites.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
skier171
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
skier171 is on a distinguished road

Nice Review! The whole 601 series amaze me, I think the blue is my favorite out of all of them.
skier171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

These are second only to the Blues IMO. I did notice that the wrapper on the Reds seems to be a little fragile. Other than that, an excellent smoke.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

Cohiba

Cigar Monster has a Best of 601 deal going on right now... 2 of each for $35. Not really much of a discount (typical Famous), but you can at least get a couple of each.