Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wounded Warriors Refuses Donation

I don't disagree with Kysid, however, I'm a little skeptical as to 'real' reasons and motives. If this were a government program, I could more easily understand political pressure -- seems there's been a couple big media blow-ups the last couple of years when someone quite visible took a public stand regarding reducing or restricting tobacco use in military. Little doubt there's huge financial advantage to the government in reducing tobacco use amongst military and retirees. So, if this were a government program, it would be easier to understand someone leaning on them. However, to the best of my knowledge, Wounded Warriors is a private non-profit - and I can't see that they receive any direct government funding. Could be wrong, however -- there are a couple of homes built in WW name on post here that had to have been at least partly supported by gov't.
Anyway - I would like to know what 'behind-the-scenes' pressure was put upon them.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
But that's the point Scott, money gets to the troops, the company can say they donate to so and so organization, I buy from that company because I like the fact they donate....win/win.
You are sadly mistaken if you believe the bulk of your donations go towards supporting the cause you have chosen. Almost all charities are self sustaining, using money raised to raise more money. With some of the more unscrupulous charities administrative costs run as high as 80-90%.

The Wounded Warrior Project is a fine charity but as stated above they have the right to accept corporate donations from the companies they choose. Perhaps they have an agreement with other donors that precludes the tobacco donations. There are many other worthy charities working with injured soldiers, maybe one of those would be more willing to work with the OP.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
You are sadly mistaken if you believe the bulk of your donations go towards supporting the cause you have chosen. Almost all charities are self sustaining, using money raised to raise more money. With some of the more unscrupulous charities administrative costs run as high as 80-90%.

The Wounded Warrior Project is a fine charity but as stated above they have the right to accept corporate donations from the companies they choose. Perhaps they have an agreement with other donors that precludes the tobacco donations. There are many other worthy charities working with injured soldiers, maybe one of those would be more willing to work with the OP.
I have no illusiones that the bulk of the money goes to where they say it's going, and I see Dave's point that if they are taking government money then there is no doubt they are being pressured into not accepting certain donations.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I have to agree with others, in that an anonymous donation would most likely would have been accepted. You have to understand that Wounded Warriors is a business (Corporation). With any big business, you have to understand they are concerned about perception and how they think they are being perceived. A quick look at their audited financial statements show they aint exactly small by any means.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org...statements.pdf

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

So this was money, not cigars being donated, right? Kinda jaw dropping, frankly. I won't say anymore lest I be banned for being too political.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #26
miamicigarco
Miami Cigar & Company

First Name: Barry
Trading: (0)
RA
miamicigarco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
Took me a bit. I'm a little slow. I understand kydsid's point now. if it's truly about charity, then an anonymous donation would be fine. if it is about marketing, then I understand why the company's would be bothered. "Behold, they have their reward."
The company chose to make a donation to Fisher House if anyone is curious.

Fisher Houses provide a place for families of servicemen to stay while their injured family members are being treated in VA hospitals. You can read more about them at www.FisherHouse.org
miamicigarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
miamicigarco
Miami Cigar & Company

First Name: Barry
RA
miamicigarco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
So this was money, not cigars being donated, right? Kinda jaw dropping, frankly. I won't say anymore lest I be banned for being too political.
Yes it was a financial donation. The tobacco shop was running an event with sponsors throughout the cigar industry getting on board. The owner of the shop who was running the evnt reached out to Wounded Warriors about the donation and was told that Wounded Warriors would not accept the donation due to the ties to tobacco.
miamicigarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicigarco View Post
The company chose to make a donation to Fisher House if anyone is curious.

Fisher Houses provide a place for families of servicemen to stay while their injured family members are being treated in VA hospitals. You can read more about them at www.FisherHouse.org
Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #29
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Tobacco must be a recent addition to their policy on fundraisers--from their FAQ

Are there any fundraisers WWP does not support?
WWP fundraisers can not be sexual, political or religious in nature, and cannot be partnered with alcohol brands or the exchange of firearms. This messaging conflicts with our mind, body, and spirit approach to programs. As everyone is aware, alcohol and substance abuse have been a significant problem with segments of the Wounded Warrior population, often with deadly consequences. WWP would not be honoring and empowering Wounded Warriors if the warrior population perceived partnerships with these types of events as encouraging the use of products that contribute to that problem.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org...rter-faqs.aspx

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road

That's Bullshit. The need an Enema in the front office
Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

It's unfortunate that WW has forgotten the true purpose of their existence. This group does great things, refusing money that could help pay for rehab counseling or prosthetics based on the community it comes from is truly discouraging.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #32
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Absolutely nuts!!! Nothing else to say but that is just ridiculous!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #33
tengel78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
Absolutely nuts!!! Nothing else to say but that is just ridiculous!
+1
Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #34
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
To assume that someone, or an orginization must accept a donation is telling of your own position. It is their right to operate as they see fit just as it is our right to donate to those we choose to do so. The virtue of our donations does not abide us a position or greatness that entitles us to assume we are more virtous.

If you believe in the mission of the charity, why not simply donate it anonymously? For your donation is not because of an interest to your own agenda, or is it?
bump
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #35
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

You know, fellas, that I'm sending cigars to a "wounded warrior" on rehab in a Texas facility.

Looks like this group is missing on a great aid because they've been too caught up in the PC world. Very sad indeed- and, frankly, good to know which organization NOT to support!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #36
LigaPrivadaT84

Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #37
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
You know, fellas, that I'm sending cigars to a "wounded warrior" on rehab in a Texas facility.

Looks like this group is missing on a great aid because they've been too caught up in the PC world. Very sad indeed- and, frankly, good to know which organization NOT to support!

Down range we started calling our cigar get togethers "counseling sessions". I did some of my best and most productive counselings over a cigar.

Not to mention they kept me sane as well
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #38
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Tobacco must be a recent addition to their policy on fundraisers--from their FAQ

Are there any fundraisers WWP does not support?
WWP fundraisers can not be sexual, political or religious in nature, and cannot be partnered with alcohol brands or the exchange of firearms.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org...rter-faqs.aspx
Hmm, they have a bias against firearms too, I see. While some of the warriors the group is trying to help were perhaps injured with a gun, others perhaps used a one to save themselves from death when attacked. Firearms are not inherently evil, they are a thing, a tool.

I suppose there are a few veterans who sustained their injuries from being stabbed, or run over with a vehicle. Would that preclude WW from accepting Kershaw's or General Motors' donations?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #39
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

This is humorous to me.

Over this past weekend I participated in the Virginia State American Legion Annual Bowling Tournament held in Norfolk this year.

During the event a NASCAR jacket was raffled off with the proceeds going to - wait for it - Wounded Warriors.

I wonder if they would be accepting the donation if they knew it came from a bunch of cigar/pipe/cigarette smoking groups who gambled away $10, $20, $30 or more.

Just humorous.

So sick most days of the United States of PC.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #40
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Pc bs
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote