Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 AM   #201
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default Re: Yankees vs. Phillies W.S. 2009

I guess the strategy concerning A-Rod is not to worry about him, he's gotten pretty good at striking out after building up a lot of post season hype.

He needs to wake the hell up and in a hurry,

Teixeira finally earned his paycheck though.

Jeter was, well, Jeter as usual.

I never really had much of a chance to watch the Phillies before this Series and definitely didn't give them the credit they deserve. They are a solid ball club.

The umps blew some key calls as usual and I'd have to say Philly got the raw end of it on the double play call, although I woulda, coulda, shoulda sent the runnners.

Watched this one on my neighbor's back porch smoking a couple of nice cigars on a really nice night and enjoyed it immensely.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #202
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I wish the Phillies would have sent the runners too! But that's baseball for ya. It was still a good game to watch!
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #203
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Now to move forward to conquer the "Phillies in 5" one next.
I officially know how to get under Carlos' skin. And nary a reply from you regarding the stats/DH issue...did you see it?

I think Pete hit the nail on the head. Due to the lack of interest of AL affiliated fans watching NL games, and NL affiliated fans watching AL games, credit to the opposition in this series has been pretty low from both sides. I think I can say with some certainty that the best two teams in baseball this year are in the World Series. It's really shaping up to be a great series.

Go Phillies!!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #204
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What a great game to watch.

We are tied. Yankees did what great teams do. They win when they have to.
Hoping for that theme to continue.
.....like the Phils in game 1....Gotta hand it to Burnett....was hoping for a good series, and looks like we're gonna get it.....now if only the "real" Cole Hamels shows up Sat. nite....
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #205
ade06
Have My Own Room

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
.....like the Phils in game 1....Gotta hand it to Burnett....was hoping for a good series, and looks like we're gonna get it.....now if only the "real" Cole Hamels shows up Sat. nite....
We shall see, but I think he's still on paternity leave
Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #206
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
I officially know how to get under Carlos' skin. And nary a reply from you regarding the stats/DH issue...did you see it?

I think Pete hit the nail on the head. Due to the lack of interest of AL affiliated fans watching NL games, and NL affiliated fans watching AL games, credit to the opposition in this series has been pretty low from both sides. I think I can say with some certainty that the best two teams in baseball this year are in the World Series. It's really shaping up to be a great series.

Go Phillies!!

No doubt thus far, a great series.
I would be shocked if it doesn't go 7 games as I have felt from the onset

Quote:
Phillies needed one of the two games and they got it.
Yankees needed last night as a must win and they got it.
While I will gladly admit Lee was on fire the first game, I was blown away by the movement on Burnett's pitches last night. There were some that looked like they were headed for the batter and would move right into the strike zone at the last second. The dip on his breaking ball was amazing.
Both winning pitchers did an amazing job of shutting down great hitting.

I was laughing my butt off with the wife.
She despises Pedro and you should have heard the slurs being yelled in my family room by her.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #207
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I kinda got robbed out of watching the game last night.
It was on all night, but too much stuff was going on to pay close attention.
I did get to see aRod get beat up again. The Phils have definately made some sense out of moving the ball around on him. He's swinging, but they're staying one guess ahead of him. That's going to be a fun story to watch as it plays out.
I was surprised by the Phil's tentative baserunning late. That's always a tough call from the bench. Let it hang out and get skewered by the press or play it safe and rely on your bats?
The way they hit last night, I really thought they'd be more agressive when they had a shot. Kinda blew my mind.

The officiating is still subpar, but it seems to be coming around. I'd like to see the "FoxBox" go away completely. It's annoying and isn't helping anything. Balls and strikes are whatever the umpire makes them. If you see three pitches over the plate, as a hitter, you better jump. There's not a major league pitcher who's not going to take advantage of a 28 inch wide home plate when he's got it, and rightfully so.

Props to AJ and Pedro both. Man, I love watching good pitching.
There's some of the most brilliant minds in ball in this series. I can't wait for the next game.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #208
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

No doubt thus far, a great series.
I would be shocked if it doesn't go 7 games as I have felt from the onset

Phillies needed one of the two games and they got it.
Yankees needed last night as a must win and they got it.
While I will gladly admit Lee was on fire the first game, I was blown away by the movement on Burnett's pitches last night. There were some that looked like they were headed for the batter and would move right into the strike zone at the last second. The dip on his breaking ball was amazing.
Both winning pitchers did an amazing job of shutting down great hitting.

I was laughing my butt off with the wife.
She despises Pedro and you should have heard the slurs being yelled in my family room by her.

Gotta love "chicks" and baseball!.....
Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #209
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Gotta love "chicks" and baseball!.....
I swear I heard new cuss words that were yet to be invented.
We were both laying on our sectional sofa, shaped like a V, with our heads meeting at the center and our feet towards the two ends. Each time she yelled, I jumped. My left ear is still throbbing. I finally had to leave her alone and go to the bedroom to watch it. Then in the top of the 8th, she comes over to the bedroom. Thank God Pedro was out of the game by then.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #210
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

...... Now that's a WS moment to remember!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #211
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Interesting read.
The Phillies have Mariano figured out.
Will we just add them to the list that thought the same thing or will they indeed be added to the list containing the Diamondbacks? Time will tell.
Clicky
Old 10-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #212
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I like how the Phillies in that article brought up the double play the Yankees got when Utley was safe but they ignored the double the Phillies got which was also a blown call and would have given the Yankees the bases loaded with 1 out.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #213
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I like how the Phillies in that article brought up the double play the Yankees got when Utley was safe but they ignored the double the Phillies got which was also a blown call and would have given the Yankees the bases loaded with 1 out.

stop nit-picking....you got the win....I think we can all agree on one thing....the umpiring, thru-out the playoffs, BLOWS!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #214
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
stop nit-picking....you got the win....I think we can all agree on one thing....the umpiring, thru-out the playoffs, BLOWS!
It is truly shameful.
It has been horrific with all the series.

Unreal that six umpires gathered to make a call where the dirt was kicked up in the air by the ball, yet called it an out.
Given it was a close call to be exact, I truly wonder how the other five had a perspective in that discussion.
I wish I could have overheard it just for laughs.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #215
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
I swear I heard new cuss words that were yet to be invented.
We were both laying on our sectional sofa, shaped like a V, with our heads meeting at the center and our feet towards the two ends. Each time she yelled, I jumped. My left ear is still throbbing. I finally had to leave her alone and go to the bedroom to watch it. Then in the top of the 8th, she comes over to the bedroom. Thank God Pedro was out of the game by then.
Kinda off topic, but still interesting.

On one of my several trips to the Dominican Republic, I asked one of the kids in my bad spanish, why they all Red Sox caps and he replied, "because we are Dominican, and so is Pedro Martinez".

They start very young there and use anything they can get their hands on to fashion a bat, ball, and bases. I would say 90% of the hats you see are Red Sox hats.

I never could figure it out as just about every MLB team has Dominicans on the roster. I even sat with Jose Lima on a flight and never saw an Astro hat in all my trips, but he recieved a heros welcome in Puerto Plata airport.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #216
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
It is truly shameful.
It has been horrific with all the series.

Unreal that six umpires gathered to make a call where the dirt was kicked up in the air by the ball, yet called it an out.
Given it was a close call to be exact, I truly wonder how the other five had a perspective in that discussion.
hahaha....I was thinking the same thing.....gotta feeling "replay" buzz will be high at the winter meetings...
Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #217
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Kinda off topic, but still interesting.

On one of my several trips to the Dominican Republic, I asked one of the kids in my bad spanish, why they all Red Sox caps and he replied, "because we are Dominican, and so is Pedro Martinez".

They start very young there and use anything they can get their hands on to fashion a bat, ball, and bases. I would say 90% of the hats you see are Red Sox hats.

I never could figure it out as just about every MLB team has Dominicans on the roster. I even sat with Jose Lima on a flight and never saw an Astro hat in all my trips, but he recieved a heros welcome in Puerto Plata airport.
It's the "Nation".....plus Pedro, in his day was "the MAN".....any skinny Dominican kid had to idolize him....
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #218
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Interesting read.
The Phillies have Mariano figured out.
Will we just add them to the list that thought the same thing or will they indeed be added to the list containing the Diamondbacks? Time will tell.
Clicky
What did you expect them to say? "He's too good, we can't hit him."

This seems like a story about nothing to me.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #219
ade06
Have My Own Room

Trinidad

Quote:
I heard it... It went something like this.

1st Base Ump: "Oh shiit, big arss Howard blocked my view of the ball. I don't want to blow this call. You know everyone at home is watching the replay in slow motion."

The rest of the Umps: "Dude you were like 15 feet away from the play, if you didn't see it, how in the hell are we supposed to?" Here you go again, making us overpaid umps blow another play. Well let's all stand around sratching our butts, so we look like were taking this seriously."

1st Base Ump: "I got it, let's just throw a coin up in the air, heads the ball was caught on the fly, tails the ball one hopped. It's a 50/50 chance of making the right call."

Home plate Ump: "Sounds like a plan to me. Since I've been blowing calls all series, 50% sure sounds good to me."

The rest of the Umps: "Ok, now who has a coin... No one responds..."

1st Base Ump: "Man F this, Howard is a big dude and I'm not going back there and reversing my call. I'll take the 50% chance that I got the call right. It's only game #2 and neither team will remember the call when its all said and done."

The rest of the Umps: "Agreed!"
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #220
feznuk
Fish On!

First Name: Fred
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
feznuk is on a distinguished road

Ade, I bet you got more than half of that right on.

The way I look at it each team lost an opportunity to possibly score some runs, so I call it even. I don't feel like either call significantly influenced the outcome of the game. The Yankees got a good win and now it's time to get ready for game 3.
feznuk is offline   Reply With Quote