Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Am I the only one...

...who doesn't think Opus X are all that great?

Don't get me wrong. They're good cigars, but I'd only be a buyer at about half the price they go for.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Am I the only one...

That is sort of two different issues. Are they "great"? Maybe. Are they too expensive? For me, decidedly.

Truth be told, were I able to pay through the nose for a cigar, I'd sooner go for a VSG or a Padron.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
That is sort of two different issues. Are they "great"? Maybe. Are they too expensive? For me, decidedly.

Truth be told, were I able to pay through the nose for a cigar, I'd sooner go for a VSG or a Padron.

100% agree. If I had money to blow on pricey cigars, I'd buy something other than Opus.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

IMO, they are what they are. Can be stinkin' fantastic and worth every penny or another good cigar. One of my the best cigars I've ever had was a FFOX, remember it like it was yesterday. There are only a handful that have done that for me, like years later I remember the flavor, not just the company and moment. That said, I don't pay premium for them, would rather a BRC or FDC for less than half the price. When buying in bulk. I like to have a few around to grab, when the moment is right, because when it's on, it's on.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

I hve only had one, but I was extremely underwhelmed by the experience.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

I think I have one buried somewhere. Let me dig it up and see what my thoughts are
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Ok just finished smoking the OpusX I had and it was about five years old.

I posted pics in the what are you smoking thread.

Overall I enjoyed the cigar but the price point is why I haven't bought any in five years. Smoke them if you have them and I certainly wouldn't turn any down offered to me hah
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:27 AM   #8
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

In my opinion Of the 5 or 6 different opus I have had, they are well made and flavorful right out the box. They mellow with age and are about the same for me as smoking some of the Fuente options at 1/3 the price or less. Plain and simple I feel that most of the opus options you are paying for a name or a status symbol. If you need the status symbol buy one save the band and put it on a shark, queen bee, #46.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The Opus X flavor profile is not for me -- I don't hate them, but they are not worth the money. I do like the Fuente Hemingway line.

If I am going to splurge on an NC I will go for Padron Maduros.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:10 AM   #10
hudd
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
hudd will become famous soon enough

I've had a couple (splurged). Wasn't all that impressed. Had sticks just as good for less money.
hudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
Throb
Out of the Ocean!

First Name: Michael
HUpmann
Throb is on a distinguished road

I have had about 5 which i purchased from all different places and vendors. After smoking each of them, I said the same thing...WHat a waste of time smoking that.

Now I always buy a dozen or so Sharks every year and let them rest for a full year...and I have never been let down by them. Every single one has been phenomenal.

Had a few short stories and other types of AFs, and liked them so I do like AF...but I just cant bring myself to purchase and smoke another $25 stick that leaves me wishing I smoked something else.
Throb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Not a huge fan of the Opus X, but I have had some good ones that had a few years of age on them.

If you can ever get a hold of one that has been aged for 3-4 years then I recommend giving it a try.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #13
Sooner
Formerly JJCigarReview

First Name: Jordan
PL
Sooner is on a distinguished road

Only ever had one. Smoked it with some Johnny Walker Blue. They went together very nicely. But that was well before my palate developed to where it is now. I felt semi-underwhelmed by both.

My buddy has a few that we are planning to smoke one of these days. I look forward to giving them another go.

But the way my cigar budget is, I happily smoke cigars a half or a third of the price and get a ton of excitement and flavor from them. There have been some cigars with huge followings that I am just not a huge fan of. If you don't like them all that much, so what! Smoke what you like. Heck smoke 4 of them for the price of 1 Opus!
Old 12-02-2015, 04:40 AM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

There was so much hyped to them when they first came out and I did not find them any better than the Don Carlos and preferred the Cameroon wrapper over the DR wrapper... From that initial point and rising prices of Opus X, I just never chased them.

The wrappers can be a little too oily and they burn seriously slow for my taste. That being said, I would smoke them if given to me. How nice of me...

I've never had an opportunity where I saw Opus X in a size I like for a price similar to Habanos that I am use to paying.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been an Opus fan, but it's because of the flavor profile. It's certainly distinctive, and it's the only cigar I've ever smoked that's delivered that much citrus.
I can see why guys like them, for sure.
Anejos are another thing. I absolutely love them. I like to set them back for about a year just to dry them out, but the fresher the better.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #16
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I consider opus to be very unique. not necessarily the best of the best, but a unique smoking experience, particularly with the really old ones. I have some that are over 10 years old, and they can't be compared to anything else in terms of flavor profile. I don't buy them, but I keep some around in case I want to smoke something that doesn't taste like anything else that I normally smoke (in a good way )
Old 12-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #17
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Agreed. If I can get them on a deal, I will horde them as trade fodder for Padron 64s.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #18
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I've tried quite a few and fresh, they're flavorful, but underwhelming for the price. I've given away more than I've smoked. For the money I'd rather have a handful of Fuente 8-5-8 maduros.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #19
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

If you can get them at a good price and let them sit for a few years, then they're a damned good smoke. There's a B&M not too far from me that carries them and doesn't mark up the price ridiculously, so about twice a year I grab one and put it away for a long nap.
But I'd rather have an Anejo if given the option.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #20
dave
Have My Own Room

Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I have never had a bad one. I'd prefer not to pay retail, but that is the case for every cigar I buy.
As to Anejo vs. Opus...well, IMO Opus wins hands down all day every day. I've had lots of Anejos that I was disappointed in...never happened to me with Opus