Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Most powerful cigar you ever smoked?

When I say powerful, I mean nicotine strength!!!

You know that one that kicked your can all over the place!!!

The one that made you hurl!!!

The cigar that made you want your mommy!!!

What is your story???
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Most powerful cigar you ever smoked?

As you may have read, last October I got to smoke two El Cobre by Oliva cigars, a torpedo and a robusto. The El Cobre is a very heavy cigar, nicknamed ‘the lobotomizer’ and ‘el muerto fuerte’ and till this month only available at Brian Shapiro’s shop but now Non Plus Ultra in Den Bosch will start selling them too. As the torpedo’s were not available, I ordered a bundle of toro’s. When I got them last Thursday I thought that there was a mix up, as there toro’s look more like coronas to me with the 152mm length and ring 46.

The El Cobre cigars have a very nice appearance, dark wrapper and a sophisticated black and copper band. The wrapper has some nice veins which give it a strong and rough look, the aroma is heavy and full but the cigar does feel a bit hard, rolled to tight and that causes the predraw to be kind of heavy. The cigar was a bit dry though, so hopefully it will improve if I let them rest for a while in my humidor. The predraw gave a black pepper flavor.

The pepper is also clearly there when I light the cigar. It’s like being kicked in the balls, this cigar is heavy, very heavy. There was a piece of paper at the bottom of the bundle warning me, it said “super fuerte” but I thought I was a big boy, until I lit the cigar, damn, what a power. To the palate again, heavy black pepper with leather and after a couple of centimeters a few hints of dark chocolate. The pepper is so strong it completely overpowers the chocolate and all other flavors, if there were any. I do notice that the pepper is not really consistent, with some puffs the pepper is stronger then with the next puff or the puff before, sometimes is heavier and spicier then the other time.

At about ¾ of the cigar I start to feel light headed, like I drank too much wine in a short period of time. This cigar is beating me, it’s too strong for me. I felt like Michael Spinks in a fight with Mike Tyson (Spinks was the reigning champion in the light heavyweight champion who had the idea that he could beat Tyson back in 1988, “the fight of the champions” lasted 91 seconds). I try to take control and keep on smoking, but like a fish on a line, I know I will lose the fight anyway. This cigar got me and it got me good.

The draw is heavy, maybe because the cigar is too dry. The smoke is white, but it could be fuller and the burn is pretty and straight. The ash is fantastic, strong and firm. It breaks only once.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Hardcz

Had a tat east or west coast...not sure which. Had a small breakfast, went to a smoke shop during my lunch break and was smoking it....*brought it with me* I loved this cigar, great flavors and spices.... though last 3rd I was like a crack addict... needed food or something..got two large pepsi's and some kfc snackers, by the time I finished this thing I was shaking, had downed one of the large soda's and ran to the men's room..... not sure if it was something in the cigar but I had to run.... =)
Old 10-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Fresh Diesel by RP...
Old 10-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

RP Edge Maduro (kicked my ass)
JdN Antano (pretty strong)

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Litto Gomez Diez Chisel
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have smoked a couple of RP edge maduro and quite a few Antonos and I don't get that nicotine rush. Probably because i use smokeless tobacco.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

It was a fresh Opus... right off the truck and I was still wet behind the ears with smoking... the nicotine made me turn white in the face lol... I never hurled but I did let the stick die early since I just couldn't handle it...
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

For me it has been the Joyo de Nicaragua Antano and the Tat J21!!!

Every vitola of the JdN Antano has done me in! Even with sugar I get shaky and light headed. The last one I had was the lancero. I thought this doesn't look so scary and then it snuck up on me and punched me in the head!

Back in March, Tony (Beagleone) in Irving Texas gifted me a Tat J21 and then I smoked another a few months later and both times felt like I was drunk after I stood up.

I enjoy the taste of these two wonderful cigars... Yet I have since vowed not to smoke either again!

Last edited by Skywalker; 10-28-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
SSatVT
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Seth
Trading: (2)
SSatVT has disabled reputation

The first time I smokes a JdN Antano. It was around midnight and I needed a break from studying. It had been sitting in my humi for a few weeks, so I decided it smelled the best and was something new.

I took it outside, toasted/lit it. First half was great, then all of a sudden all the nicotine hit me. I got half way through the second half, and just had to put it down.

I went inside, drank some water, more water, and ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich (my handover fix). Sat down, 30 min later it was back, so this time I just tried to sleep it off (it was about 2:30am), so I laid down for a nap (as I still had some studying to do).

Next thing I knew was my alarm clock was going off and it was time to go to class.

That is what I get for having a fast metabolism, not eating for a few hours, and smoking a somewhat strong cigar.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
CoroHo

DC Maximususus, Opusususus, Ashton VSGs - no problem - but a Padilla Obsidian Beli will hammer me every time...
Old 10-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
Joan

[watching this thread with great interest]

Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Macanudo... kills me every time.
doctorcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road

Probably the third or fourth cigar I ever smoked. I don't remember what it was exactly but it was in the Camacho lineup. I bought it based on the rating that my B&M had stuck to the box. I smoked it sitting down outside and tried to walk back to the dorms. I remember stumbling like a drunkard back to my room and sleeping until noon the next day.

Fast forward 2 years. Had a RP Edge Maduro a few weeks ago. It kicked my ass, but in a good way. I never felt sick, but definitely light-headed. I really enjoyed it. I guess I needed a good asskicking.
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
jechelman
Smokin' Longhorn

First Name: Frank
Trading: (5)
jechelman is on a distinguished road

Probably a toss up between a young OpusX Robusto and a young Tatuaje Reserva J21. Both gave me a serious butt kicking.
jechelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #16
dunng
MassHole

Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRyder View Post
Probably the third or fourth cigar I ever smoked. I don't remember what it was exactly but it was in the Camacho lineup. I bought it based on the rating that my B&M had stuck to the box. I smoked it sitting down outside and tried to walk back to the dorms. I remember stumbling like a drunkard back to my room and sleeping until noon the next day.
My guess would be a Camacho Croyolor (black band)...
Old 10-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #17
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

My most recent fall from the cliff came from a Tatuaje Cabaiguan...there was no net waiting for me at the bottom!!!
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #18
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Something from Top Shelf Cigar - very tasty smoke but all I remember is halfway through it I was swallowing a bunch of sugar so I could make it all the way through

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
Python

A JdN Antano is the strongest I have smoked so far.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I got a couple of laughs out of this thread and a couple of ideas...

The only one I remember really kicking my butt was a RP Sungrown at a Gator game. Now I had been drinking... but I was sitting in one of those really low slung chairs... and when I stood up I nearly fell down!!!
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote