Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default 2014 Tatuaje Black CG in the Jar

FWIW, New Havana has them in/coming in, ready for order.....

http://www.newhavanacigars.com/Tatua...014-jar-19.htm
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2014 Tatuaje Black CG in the Jar

Yes, they are quite good!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

the new jars look interesting, but i love them old jars. Wish I still had one full of that tat black goodness. How was the tatouage?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

The Tatouage was quite tasty. I will probably pick up a few bottles once they are released.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Sorry to derail the thread a little, but did he give any info on when it would be released? I've been dying to try some
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Just ordered a jar yesterday from New Havana.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

I'm halfway through my second. I have to say I'm rather disappointed in these. They're pretty darn green, which ain't a good thing, but something that can be worked with, the jars are clearly not melamine which they're marketed as(not a huge issue, but still, its BS to market them as such), plus wrapper issues galore. My first one didnt make it past the cutter before a one inch crack down from the cap came about. This second one had a small crack under the band, which wasn't a huge issue, but let me take it out the damaged pile at work, and unfortunately that wasn't even the half of it. About half an inch in a nice half inch crack came at the foot, plus the wrapper leaf at the halfway point cracked and started to try and unravel, and the crack with that only got worse, peaking at a 2 inch crack down the side of the SOB, and as I type this a crack just showed up a quarter inch from the bottom of the cap. Not to mention, I didn't even really cut it, just used my fingernail to pry the cap right at the little bump on the cap, out of fear it would crack again.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
I'm halfway through my second. I have to say I'm rather disappointed in these. They're pretty darn green, which ain't a good thing, but something that can be worked with, the jars are clearly not melamine which they're marketed as(not a huge issue, but still, its BS to market them as such), plus wrapper issues galore. My first one didnt make it past the cutter before a one inch crack down from the cap came about. This second one had a small crack under the band, which wasn't a huge issue, but let me take it out the damaged pile at work, and unfortunately that wasn't even the half of it. About half an inch in a nice half inch crack came at the foot, plus the wrapper leaf at the halfway point cracked and started to try and unravel, and the crack with that only got worse, peaking at a 2 inch crack down the side of the SOB, and as I type this a crack just showed up a quarter inch from the bottom of the cap. Not to mention, I didn't even really cut it, just used my fingernail to pry the cap right at the little bump on the cap, out of fear it would crack again.
Interesting, I am halfway thru the pre-release bundle I picked up and had some wrapper issues on three or four of them. Not to the extent that you had but I was wondering if they need more humidity when I was having issues. I typically keep my tower at 65% which is usually the sweet spot for any Pepin/Tat stick. Being so tightly packed probably isn't helping either. I have a jar coming so we shall see how they smoke but the pre-releases are smoking beautifully right now.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #9
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
the jars are clearly not melamine which they're marketed as(not a huge issue, but still, its BS to market them as such)
What do you think the jar is made of? I received mine yesterday and, although I'm certainly not a plastics expert, it seemed like melamine to me.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Well I've smoked two more since then with no wrapper issues which is a major positive, but they're still a touch green to me yet.

The jar seems to be made of just some regular old plastic, not melamine. The fact I can bend the top of the jar to the point of almost breaking, plus the complete lack of a metallic feel(as you would get out of melamine) is pretty damning evidence to me that they're not melamine.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Oh hey look - a picture of me, haha.

Strange that you've had so many issues with the pre-release bundles? I've smoked about ten of these since the bundle release and haven't had any major issues.

The jar I got the other week hasn't been opened yet though, so I can't speak to their quality or smokeability.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Oh hey look - a picture of me, haha.

Strange that you've had so many issues with the pre-release bundles? I've smoked about ten of these since the bundle release and haven't had any major issues.

The jar I got the other week hasn't been opened yet though, so I can't speak to their quality or smokeability.
I've been smoking from the jars we received, not the bundles(which we were supposed to receive, but then Pete of course pulled them from everyone but NHC). I may smoke one more for breakfast tomorrow, still deciding if its gonna be a pipe or cigar day.