Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #21
CEC_Tech
Old CS Gorilla

First Name: Armando
Trading: (5)
RyJ
CEC_Tech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alcohol on the cruise...

They will scan all your luggage before it makes it on the boat, as well as what you are carrying on. They will have some great deals on booze while you are on the ship. The bad part is, they keep it for you until the end of the cruise. I got 4 bottles of Bacardi for my wife at 10 bucks per bottle.

If you are really good, I mean really good at picking out real cubans from fakes, you can find some on your trip. But even then, it may be fake. Cozumel is supposed to have an LCDH. Do a search for it. Otherwise, there are fakes abound. Glass top boxes a plenty!

At a couple of the main restaraunts like carlos n charlies and Senor frog's, they do have small humi's with some real cubans, but way pricey. I paid 16 bucks for a Monte #4. On the beach, everyone has cohiba's, so watch out. Your cruise ship will have one brand of cubans on it, the best you will get is a Guantanamera.
CEC_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #22
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Cruise ships don't let you bring alcohol because it would kill their profit structure. That said you can bring it but it won't be allowed past security. They will tag and store it then release it to you after cleared with US Customs. They will declare the amount you bought for you so if you go apeshit on the purchasing you will likely be charged some IRT.
It depends upon the cruise line; Disney allows you to bring alcohol on board:

Bringing Alcohol aboard the ship
Alcohol is permitted on board. Any fragile items (including bottles of alcohol) must be brought aboard in a carry-on bag not to exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #23
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRyder View Post
Well thanks for all the pointers guys. I've done some reading on cruisecritic and other sites. Does checked luggage actually get searched or x-rayed? I just can't handle paying 30 dollars for an 8 dollar bottle of wine (and I'm sure there are plenty more alcohol injustices on the boat), I have to find a way to get it on there for free.
I am unclear on your question. Your original question appeared to be about smuggling alcohol into the USA. Now are you asking about smuggling wine out of the country?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #24
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I am unclear on your question. Your original question appeared to be about smuggling alcohol into the USA. Now are you asking about smuggling wine out of the country?
I think he is (now) talking about smuggling alcohol onto the ship in the US so that he does not have to pay shipboard prices for alcohol.

As for bringing alcohol on board in a port-of-call, I believe that most cruise lines will let you buy alcohol in a port to bring home, but I only know for sure about Disney -- and they will let you do this.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
kazzaca

If I remember correctly, on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity you are allowed to bring on 2 bottles of wine but no hard liquor. Don't forget to take a cork screw with you otherwise there is a crazy corking fee. Like many people have already said, anything you buy while on the cruise they will hold on to until the end.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #26
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I think he is (now) talking about smuggling alcohol onto the ship in the US so that he does not have to pay shipboard prices for alcohol.
Well Bob's post is technically correct. Cruise ships are registered in countries with flags of convenience. The minute you enter a cruise ship you have left the United States.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote