Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default How Durable is your Wineador?

I'm back and forth on buying a wineador after buying a large cabinet last year. I got to thinking how long do these things last? 1 year? 2, or 10? I know it depends on make and model but I would like some input on how long you guys have had yours. Right now I'm looking at the Newair 28 on Ebay shipped for 175. I don't want to drop (370$ with trays beads and ETC x2 to hold my stash so thats 740$) the dough if it's going to crap out in less than 3-5 years, I would like it to last 10.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
MNSmoker
Well Adjusted

First Name: Chris
Trading: (13)
Cohiba
MNSmoker has disabled reputation
Default Re: How Durable is your Wineador?

I don't know the length of time they're supposed to last, but I have two 28-bottle Vinotemps that are still running perfect after more than two years.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

2 years and a little more on one Edgestar 28 TEDS that has had to run pretty hard for a while. Bought another recently. However I do have concerns over the older one as it has recently started to make a bit of noise when it starts to cool.

They can be had for $200 easily and the one I got recently was $100 scratch and dent. So at those prices I'm not concerned.

Plus I think you are over thinking the costs of getting it running. At most you are looking at $50 in beads and its ready to go. Shelves another $15 each, drawers maybe $75.

At your prices I'd be concerned. But if you change it to, $160 for one shelf and beads to store boxes in, like my new one, and its a diff story.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
fbillings14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Plus I think you are over thinking the costs of getting it running. At most you are looking at $50 in beads and its ready to go. Shelves another $15 each, drawers maybe $75.

At your prices I'd be concerned. But if you change it to, $160 for one shelf and beads to store boxes in, like my new one, and its a diff story.
I just bought the same cooler you are looking at on ebay and had ceder treys made and shelves with beads was close to $400 after all is said and done. I cant say to how long it will hold up but i do have a good friend who has had 2 vemos for more then 5 years and both are still running strong.

Last edited by fbillings14; 05-02-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

the cooling unit on my 28 bottle vino broke, they sent me the wrong part to fix it and it won't go below 68*. so now it's unpluged but holding humidity well
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

I've had my edgestar 28 bottle for almost 2 years now. I love it. Works great, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

I have the Edgestar 28. It is in my closet and has been there for a year now. I got it from Compact Appliance for $130 shipped. It was brand new and their customer service was outstanding.

I bought Sheila Beads and Chasdor drawers and shelves for it. It holds a good 65-68 degrees and around 65% humidity with no problems. Oh, and I have never plugged it in, never needed to. I have the drain port in the back plugged well and she is pretty full of sticks and temp and humidity are solid. Unless it gets hit by a truck, I think it will last a good long time.
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have had my Vinotemp 28 for a little over 2 years. Had to change one of the fans out but that only costed 7 dollars. If I had it to do over I would go ahead and get a compressor model that is bigger and call Scott Shilala and get the specs from him on what to do to it to make it work. I know, I know some of you are going to say compressors aren't good for cigars, but Scott is way smarter than me when it comes to humidors and he says it can be done and done well if I remember correctly. It seems like he had two that were compressor models that worked very well.

Scott chime in and recollect me.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I've built a bunch of compressor driven models, Greg. You just have to make some mods that involve some wiring and messing around.
There's no reason a compressor-driven Frigidaire won't last a lifetime, or close to it. The Vinotemps seem to last most guys a few years before the board or fans go out. They're not real good stuff.
Thing is, you can use your shelves and beads and so on in another model if you can't still land a TEDS. (It may take a little trimming here and there, but at least all is not lost.)

To the OP, you're well on your way to a nicely done Aristocrat or something sweet you can find on Craigslist. Quality costs money, and with humi's, that plays just the same as with anything else.
If I were gonna lay down $740, I'd definately be looking at a different direction than two vinotemps, for lots of reasons. Not that Vinotemps aren't awesome, because they are, but you're heading to "big storage land" and I think you can spend your money way better.

Either way, Congratulations, my brother. You're gonna have fun!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I've built a bunch of compressor driven models, Greg. You just have to make some mods that involve some wiring and messing around.
There's no reason a compressor-driven Frigidaire won't last a lifetime, or close to it. The Vinotemps seem to last most guys a few years before the board or fans go out. They're not real good stuff.
Thing is, you can use your shelves and beads and so on in another model if you can't still land a TEDS. (It may take a little trimming here and there, but at least all is not lost.)

To the OP, you're well on your way to a nicely done Aristocrat or something sweet you can find on Craigslist. Quality costs money, and with humi's, that plays just the same as with anything else.
If I were gonna lay down $740, I'd definately be looking at a different direction than two vinotemps, for lots of reasons. Not that Vinotemps aren't awesome, because they are, but you're heading to "big storage land" and I think you can spend your money way better.

Either way, Congratulations, my brother. You're gonna have fun!!!

I'm a little late on this but thanks Scott for the info 2 wine coolers is about what my current stock is at in my Montague humi which as long as I can keep my house around 72f this summer (In Va) will work fine, if not I'll look at selling it and upgrading to something that regulates temp.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote