T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Score!

Finally managed to talk to one of the knowledgeable butchers in town today, asked him if he could get lamb breasts, and his answer was something like 'Denver ribs? Yeah, I've got three or four cases in the freezer. No one around here knows what they are and never buys them, so I don't put them out. How much do you want?" I bought a 4.5lb sealed cryopack (4 racks, half-racks? cant' see though the vacuum seal membrane well enough to count ribs) - he even knocked the price down from $5.99 to $3.99/lb.

It's not quite the same cut as what you get Luke, these are trimmed much tighter, more like a pork sparerib trimming job and no breastbones. But for the price and for as many apprentice butchers I've had to talk to who had no idea what I was talking about? Hellz yea!

Thawing in the refrigerator now. Tomorrow one or two of them go in the smoker.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #862
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

niiiiiiice
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #863
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Well, did the Ribs today, semi BRITU run...

But I only managed to get a 'going on smoker' shot... picture tomorrow.

Wife says I have to do these more often. Our friends who came up agreed.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #864
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Smoked one section of the Denver Ribs yesterday. Coated with a fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, pepper, salt, oinion & paprika wet rub. After 2 hours, I added a piece of chicken slathered down with the same wet rub to the smoker. Total cook time was about 4 hours. Smoked with oak. Probably could have pulled the lamb about 30-45 minutes earlier than I did, but it had so much fat in it that it didn't really matter. Also, removing the membrane on the back of the denver ribs is a motherfracker, way, way harder to pull than the ones found on pork ribs (extreme meat shrinkage due to the membrane being removed, so there was nothing to hold it in place and prevent it from contracting/shrinking)

Also, just smoked 1/2lb of cheddar slices and 1/2lb of jalepeno pepper jack slices over almond wood this morning. (no photos, sorry).
Old 07-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #865
bsmokin
Slippin... Fast.

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (15)
RA
bsmokin is on a distinguished road

Wholly cr-p!!!! That looks amazing!
bsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #866
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I made two racks of babyback ribs with my usual "special" dryrub and glaze.
Then along with them, I made a bacon cheeseburger fattie that Mr B helped me with the process.
The fatties turned out pretty good! I had grilled it a little too hot and the bacon got a little scorched. Problem was, I used a grill to grill and them moved it to my smoker. I used my nieghbor's grill for the first part and the heat was way too hot for it. Next time, I will use my smoker/grill for the whole process since I know how to control the heat on it better. Next time I will put more cheese in it too. I was affraid of having too much cheese, and ended up with not enough!

Thanks Mr B for your help on the fattie!!
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #867
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
Wholly cr-p!!!! That looks amazing!

DayUM!!!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #868
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

No pics... yet again, but I wanted to let you all know I am loving the whole Hot and Fast method. Maybe Myron Mixon is right....

I have been doing a good deal of Chicken lately and I love how I can get a nice smokey flavor, juicy meat and great color in just 2 hours. For a long time I was intimidated by Chicken because of it's tendency to dry out, but lately I have been having great results.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #869
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
I made two racks of babyback ribs with my usual "special" dryrub and glaze.
Then along with them, I made a bacon cheeseburger fattie that Mr B helped me with the process.
The fatties turned out pretty good! I had grilled it a little too hot and the bacon got a little scorched. Problem was, I used a grill to grill and them moved it to my smoker. I used my nieghbor's grill for the first part and the heat was way too hot for it. Next time, I will use my smoker/grill for the whole process since I know how to control the heat on it better. Next time I will put more cheese in it too. I was affraid of having too much cheese, and ended up with not enough!

Thanks Mr B for your help on the fattie!!

Right on Brother Glad it turned out well for ya. I said the same thing about mine too "more filling next time"
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #870
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Adam, the lamb looks real good. Very nice color. That rub sounds perfect for lamb. good job.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #871
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Thanks guys.

Brent, you're right, the wet rub / slather was great for the lamb. It was a bit much for the chicken, not enough "meat flavor" in the chicken breast to stand up to all that garlic. Probably be fine for thighs though.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #872
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

How did it taste Adam?
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #873
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Well, this weekend is supposed to bring a "cool front" to the midsouth, so I guess I need to tip my
hat to Mother Nature and roast up some of her creatures as an homage to her kindness. It remains
to be seen what a mid July cold front has to offer, but if you believe the 7 day, low 90's and mid 70's
overnights. It's that second part I don't care for.

3 racks of ribs, and two nice ribeyes a food guest brought me two weeks ago, shall die on the pit.
I am going to make up some king of potato deallie with cream cheese and sharp cheddar to
round out the feast. Plus whatever I find at the Piggly Wiggly Sto in the reduced rack might
find it's way on as well.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #874
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxpuff View Post
How did it taste Adam?
Lambelicious.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #875
Slow4v

I want a smoker so bad right now!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #876
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4v View Post
I want a smoker so bad right now!
Dude, do you have a charcoal burning grill?

If yes, then you have almost everything you need right there to have a smoker.

You can do it with a couple of firebricks ($3/each), some heavy duty aluminum foil or layers of foil (pennies) and any old foil pan or pie tin as a drip catcher ($3 tops) and you have an instant smoker.

You could even just mound the coals in one corner of the grill and set a loaf pan full of water on the grate above the fire to work as a heatsink while you put food on the other corner of the grill.

I think Brad (OLS) has a larger grill and he just mounds coals on one side of his grill for smoking, no heatsink.

Just depends how big your grill is and how the air control is, what you can get away with.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #877
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Wow. I forgot how clean my rig once looked. LOL.

Everything in there is jet black and completely coated now. I think the layer on the bottom of the drip pan is about an inch thick now (and I do dump out the liquified grease, I just don't bother to wipe the crud up).

I really ought to go get a new pan before I have a pit fire from the crap in the bottom of the pan.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #878
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

You are right, but I tell you, I would NOT be opposed to the installation of
a few bricks. The advantage I have is that my Char-griller has a little
bit of extra length that allows me to get away with it without wasting a lot
of cooking room. Oh, man I am already salivating.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #879
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
You are right, but I tell you, I would NOT be opposed to the installation of
a few bricks. The advantage I have is that my Char-griller has a little
bit of extra length that allows me to get away with it without wasting a lot
of cooking room. Oh, man I am already salivating.
My char griller has a firebox on the side so I don't need the firebricks for that but I still think I'm going to get some. Looking at the pictures it occurred to me they would be great for when I only want to grill a few things for the wife and me. The char griller is so huge that I feel like I don't get the full heat out of my charcoal when I'm using a small fire. The bricks would stop the coals from wasting their heat on the whole grill right? Especially if I wrapped foil around them.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #880
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
My char griller has a firebox on the side so I don't need the firebricks for that but I still think I'm going to get some. Looking at the pictures it occurred to me they would be great for when I only want to grill a few things for the wife and me. The char griller is so huge that I feel like I don't get the full heat out of my charcoal when I'm using a small fire. The bricks would stop the coals from wasting their heat on the whole grill right? Especially if I wrapped foil around them.
No.

The firebricks simply work as a small heatsink and buffer for the heat. Unless you are going to build a wall of them inside your grill that stretches from the bottom, through the grate and to the top of the lid, they won't do anything along the lines of what you are looking for.

Also, wrapping a firebrick in aluminum is not only unnecessary, but it is also defeating the purpose of the material.

I would recommend that you swtich to a hotter burning fuel for your situation, like some of the natural lump hardwoods that burn 150+F hotter than KF. Or pick up a smaller grill for those times when you want high heat and don't have much to cook on it.