Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #21
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My First French Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
Care to give a step by step?
These are the instructions for the Toddy system, although I'm sure the same concept works in a french press as well.

http://www.toddycafe.com/customerser...structions.php
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

We've been doing the French press thing now for a couple of years, and there is just no going back. I'm hooked on Mr. Jerry's "Killer Beans" and have done business with him for several years. I have started to check out the local roasters, though...some good stuff here in PDX.

In addition to the French press, I bought a Baratza grinder a couple of years back. No, they aren't cheap...and there is no comparison to the blade grinders. A good conical burr grinder will give you the most consistent grind imaginable. This is one of those dumb things that makes me smile every time I use it.

Lastly, as a friend of mine put it....here's the "next step off the cliff"....home roasting. Haven't gone there yet, but I'm looking into it.

Cheers - N.F.H.
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #23
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Two things to remember, though, coffee should NEVER be made with boiling water. If you boil water,
let it sit for 5 or so minutes before using it to make coffee. And secondly, if you use hot water from the tap,
make sure you do not have a conventional water heater. If you have that kind of instant heat deal,
that's OK, but drinking hot water from a conventional tank water heater is not good for you.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #24
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
It's really easy...get one of these. Cold brewing is said to reduce acidity of coffee by 2/3.

http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Cold...0578869&sr=8-1

Basically, you just let the grounds/water soak for ~ 12 hours and filter it into the glass. It's a concentrate and you add water to each cup. Give it a try...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
This is my auction, I have a few of them, if anyone is interested, and priced them well.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Two things to remember, though, coffee should NEVER be made with boiling water. If you boil water,
let it sit for 5 or so minutes before using it to make coffee. And secondly, if you use hot water from the tap,
make sure you do not have a conventional water heater. If you have that kind of instant heat deal,
that's OK, but drinking hot water from a conventional tank water heater is not good for you.
Could you elaborate on these? Depending on the ambient temp and the container the water is in, 5 minutes could put it below optimal brew temp.

As far as the other.... No real reason that water would be harmful, in my experience. If you were on a well, with untreated water, and you had some high temp biological contamination, that might be an issue, but in general not an issue for 99,999 people out of a 100,000. What are you referring to? Soft water? Not really an issue, as the sodium levels in softened water are so low that for it to impact your health you would need to drink bathtubs of it to affect you. Daily. The sodium, in a softened water system are used in the ionic exchange process in the softener, and the resin bed is flushed of virtually all free NaCl in the final bed rinse.
Curiosity killed the cat, I suppose.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #26
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
let it sit for 5 or so minutes before using it to make coffee.
When I made coffee this morning, like every morning, I wait for the water to just start to boil. I turn the stove off, count to ten, and pour it into the french press. The Specialty Coffee Association of America recommends a temperature of 195-205F for making coffee. My guess is that if you boiled water (~212F +/-) and let it sit for five minutes, you'd be well below their suggested minimum.

Now I'm curious; I'll stick a thermometer in the water tomorrow and find out where I'm at....
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #27
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
This is my auction, I have a few of them, if anyone is interested, and priced them well.
That looks to be a good price for ease of use. I wouldn't want to pay $35-40 for a Toddy if I don't need to. Do the filters in the Ronco need to be replaced?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #28
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
That looks to be a good price for ease of use. I wouldn't want to pay $35-40 for a Toddy if I don't need to. Do the filters in the Ronco need to be replaced?
It comes with 2 of them, and I really am not sure of the replacement. I will check the package.
Edit, the pads appear to be washable along with the other components per the directions.
Sorry for the psuedo threadjack, fellas.

That being said, you can also boost the temp of the water by putting it in a glass mixing bowl and nuking it for minute or two. No harm, no foul in that.

Last edited by replicant_argent; 03-21-2011 at 11:59 AM.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #29
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Some good reading here...might pick up a french press today to give it a try.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #30
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

OK, it's official, after doing a little more reading, cold brewed just seems like way to much work for a cup of joe. I really don't want to take 18 hours to make my coffee.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #31
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
OK, it's official, after doing a little more reading, cold brewed just seems like way to much work for a cup of joe. I really don't want to take 18 hours to make my coffee.
It's not any more work to make cold brewed coffee than it is for a french press and honestly, french press is probably more work. With the cold brewed coffee, you have the initial element of time obviously, but you have a concentration that will yield a LOT of coffee to drink over several days. Add water to your preferred dilution and you're all set. You could make up enough in one batch of the cold brew to last a week. I now make coffee once every 6-7 days compared to daily with the french press. The process is much the same, but the yield/taste of the cold brewing is night and day. With the french press, you're boiling water, brewing, and cleaning up every day.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
It comes with 2 of them, and I really am not sure of the replacement. I will check the package.
Edit, the pads appear to be washable along with the other components per the directions.
Sorry for the psuedo threadjack, fellas.

That being said, you can also boost the temp of the water by putting it in a glass mixing bowl and nuking it for minute or two. No harm, no foul in that.
Even though it comes with filters, I know on my system, it's recommended to change them every 3 months, so that may be an issue if the Ronco doesn't have filters that are readily available. Just like any other filter, it'll get clogged over time and your flow rate diminishes, even if you do wash it every use like you're supposed to.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
One nice aspect of the Toddy is the ability to get new filters/plugs any time you wish from Amazon or anywhere else. Other systems may not have that luxury.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #34
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
It's not any more work to make cold brewed coffee than it is for a french press and honestly, french press is probably more work. With the cold brewed coffee, you have the initial element of time obviously, but you have a concentration that will yield a LOT of coffee to drink over several days. Add water to your preferred dilution and you're all set. You could make up enough in one batch of the cold brew to last a week. I now make coffee once every 6-7 days compared to daily with the french press. The process is much the same, but the yield/taste of the cold brewing is night and day. With the french press, you're boiling water, brewing, and cleaning up every day.
Do you drink it cold? Sounds pretty good for summer. Can you reheat if the weather calls for hot coffee?
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #35
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
Do you drink it cold? Sounds pretty good for summer. Can you reheat if the weather calls for hot coffee?
I drank it cold, at room temp, and heated. It can't really be "reheated" since it was never heated to begin with. I enjoyed the same coffee each way just the same.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #36
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
I keep the concentrate in the decanter refrigerated, pour in a glass, add water from the water dispenser in the fridge, add a little vanilla or hazlenut creamer and spenda, and voila. Might add an ice cube or two to make it really cold. I prefer that over the hot coffee nowadays.

My wife microwaves her coffee in the morning, but prefers the iced coffee in the afternoons.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #37
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Damnit, this is starting to sound tempting.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #38
mariogolbee

Quote:
Damnit, this is starting to sound tempting.
It's really that good. Please excuse my semi-overcomplicated description of the process last night. It really takes little effort and is well worth it.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #39
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I realized after that waiting 5 minutes was way too long, but my 15 minutes of time to
edit were up and I blew it off. When I came back and saw the debate was on, I figured I would
come on and eat my crow. 15 seconds maybe to wait?? As long as it is not BOILING water.
And that's from the coffee Experts at Community Coffee.

As for the tank water, higher concentrations of lead and I am guessing also contaminants from the
fiberglass tank itself.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #40
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

The only drawback to the Cold-Brew would be if you wanted it hot. Coffee never has the same, good, fresh brewed flavor if it is reheated. No matter if its in a pot or the micro, it never tastes as good.

I will stick w/ the Press for hot coffee. I will probably try the cold brew this summer though.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote