Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
barbourjay

Default is it wrong to withold a source?

i'm not even talking about CC's in this case. some other person on another forum saw me post about opus being in stock locally and the issue i have is that i've had sources ruined just as recent as 2 months ago by people i don't personally know but ran into and told them where get some HTF's. i had a local source who use to hook me up and call me every time something came in and charge me a reasonable price. i gave this source to a few people to get a few things and it turns out one of them runs a website selling opus and other HTF's for huge amounts and now the source doesn't even call me because the other guy will pay 20$ for a single robusto opus.

so what do i do when someone asks me who i don't know? i tell them i'd rather not out of protection of my source but they get mad and tell me i have a poor attitude. yet they have hardly any posts or reputation on the forums and just expect me to trust them 100%. is that right? am i caring to much about this? i got called a f-stick recently for politely declining to tell the party where i get them from now and i've never even met or seen this guy on the forums. thoughts? doesn't the same apply to CC sources? BTW, this person is not on these forums.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
piperman

Default Re: is it wrong to withold a source?

If I had a source and someone wanted it, it all depends. But I would not worry one bit if I said no and was called names, I don't even know them so why care. So no it is not wrong.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

No- it's up to you to do with your source what you want. If the guy calls you names for doing so that only proves how right you were not to give it up. On the other hand- and I'm not saying you do or did this- some BOTLs really need to cool their jets about bragging about their latest pick-ups- esp. with CCs. After all, these ARE illegal here- and in theory should not be any anyone's hands that lives in the USA.

But- to answer your question succinctly: No.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
No- it's up to you to do with your source what you want. If the guy calls you names for doing so that only proves how right you were not to give it up.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Nothing wrong at all with it, especially if stock qty. is an issue.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

If it were me... yes... you would be wrong to withhold said source. Otherwise, no, it would be fine. Plus, if they throw down a name then you know you did right.

Last edited by Smokin Gator; 02-17-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
If it were me... yes... you would be wrong to withhold said source. Otherwise, no, it would be fine. Plus, if they throw down a name they you know you did right.

i have no problems sharing sources with you if you asked. i know you or at least i know of you and your amazing BBQ
Old 02-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

I think you have every right to not share sources in that case. The HTF fuente stuff is HTF for a reason and some joe off the street should not expect to get something just handed to him without earning it through reputation.

If he called you some nice choice names, then he proved you right for not giving him the source!
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Stogieboy

It is only wrong if you are withholding your source from me.
Otherwise, your source is your source.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
No- it's up to you to do with your source what you want. If the guy calls you names for doing so that only proves how right you were not to give it up.

Now, witholding info from your fellow inmates is subject to scrutiny, of course....
Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

That is kind of like fishing holes. I might take someone there, but I don't just give secrets away.

I told one guy about a great quiet little stream. I get there one day, my day off no less - and there he is with three of his buddies. He gives me the, "Hey Todd, um, sorry to say this, but we were here first. You're going to need to find a different spot."

We were talking later about some walleye fishing. He asked where I was fishing. I told him, "Oh, a local lake."

"Which one?" he asks.

I simply smiled and said, "Hey, I had to work to discover it myself, and I only get one day off a week. You have two. Do a little trial and error."

He called me some names too.

Just smile.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
That is kind of like fishing holes. I might take someone there, but I don't just give secrets away.

I told one guy about a great quiet little stream. I get there one day, my day off no less - and there he is with three of his buddies. He gives me the, "Hey Todd, um, sorry to say this, but we were here first. You're going to need to find a different spot."

We were talking later about some walleye fishing. He asked where I was fishing. I told him, "Oh, a local lake."

"Which one?" he asks.

I simply smiled and said, "Hey, I had to work to discover it myself, and I only get one day off a week. You have two. Do a little trial and error."

He called me some names too.

Just smile.
Exactly... I have a very nearly same story when I was guiding. This one was on TV and I went back to the spot and saw the camera man in the spot. I nearly jumped off of my boat and strangled him.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

It's your source, you did the legwork to find it. And, a source is "unequal information", if you will...it's valuable because it's not common. Once others start to know it, it declines in value fast.

Why should you be under any obligation to give it up to just anybody? That's like giving away money to a stranger. You worked for it, why should you just give it away?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

As long as you share them with me and no one else... I won't call you names!!!

Seriously, your sources are yours to give or keep!!! Name calling is for the immature!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

i would have no problem sharing sources....but some are better left unsaid
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I'd would not withhold from a friend/BOTL.
It's obvious that you sell some cigars,most of your comments are from buyers.All positive comments I might add
I personally have bought some things from you in the past and was always happy with the transaction,so that's not a issue at all.
I'm just curious if your trading plays into your question.

Please don't answer if you don't want to my friend
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmaz00 View Post
i would have no problem sharing sources....but some are better left unsaid
you would share sources with someone you've never met or someone who is a total newb with minimal participation in the community?

as stated above, i have no problems giving these sources out to people i know i can trust.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #18
tunes
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (3)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
tunes is on a distinguished road

I recently asked a member of this forum for a source for some cc’s. Having never purchased them before, I was a little reluctant. Being new to this site and all, I also told them that I fully understood if they didn’t want to offer any assistance. As it turned out, they were more than happy to oblige. Had they not, I wouldn’t have started a rant or name calling. So I guess what I’m saying is it’s all up to you and how you feel about the person that’s asking - hindsight, after the name calling, you did the right thing! God I love this place.

you can always point them to CI...
Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #19
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I'd would not withhold from a friend/BOTL.
It's obvious that you sell some cigars,most of your comments are from buyers.All positive comments I might add
I personally have bought some things from you in the past and was always happy with the transaction,so that's not a issue at all.
I'm just curious if your trading plays into your question.

Please don't answer if you don't want to my friend
i would answer but call me slow, i don't really follow your question

it's not direct enough for my young brain to process.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #20
Cyanide

I work in a field where I get alot of opportunities to work 24 hour shifts in small towns on the weekends for thousands of dollars a shift (which helps to pay off my education bills and keep my family from wanting). During the week, I work at a military clinic. I was recently asked by one of my fellow military clinicians at the military clinic where I worked on the weekends. I told him. Next thing I know, I find he is working the shifts that used to by mine to pick up; further, he has trumped up a bogus reason why he can't leave on taskings during the week and told this to our commanding officer. Now, I am getting tasked all over the place, am missing out on many weekend shifts because I am gone and he is fully benefitting financially from this.

So, once bitten, twice shy. If the other person has not earned access to that "special information" then you are likely harming yourself with no chance of reciprocation by giving out the information. If the person gets angry, then likely they would never have earned access to that information (and probably would never deserve it). If they graciously accept the decline, then they may, at a later date, earn that information.

So, not telling them, is completely legit, without a relationship of trust existing prior.

Thats just my view

John