Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Bed buying help

Hey friends. My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a new bed. The bed we currently have is a queen sized Sealy Posturpedic that is over 10 years old. I am still comfortable sleeping on it. The main reason I am looking to get a new one is the fact that my wife has some bulging discs and other health issues that I hope a new bed will make her a little more comfortable. I did some research on mattresses and thought I wanted a hybrid mattress with talalay latex and inner coil springs. I am now considering going with an adjustable bed with memory foam. Looking at a split king with each side being independantly adjustable. We are both side sleepers. We went by the Mattress Firm yesterday and looked at Tempurpedic, but a split king adjustable will run around $7000.00 and I just don't think I am going to pay that much. We got a price on the setup we want at a local furniture company with the mattresses being Bedboss Visco Heir ET, which reviews really well and most say it compares to the tempurpedic. I know that most are going to say whatever you like after laying on it and we are doing that. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers or info that might help in the choice?

The hybrid I was looking at is by a company in NJ named Charles P. Rogers. The downside is that the hybrid spring/latex isn't a good fit for adjustable frames.

Thanks
Greg
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bed buying help

Greg: We Have A Medium Price Tempurpedic We Bought For Around $3,000. Great Warranty & We Really Like It.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Tempurpedic also builds "no-interest" financing into their pricing. You can pay over 5 years (maybe 6). I used to have chronic back issues until I bought one. Bulging discs, like your wife. Within a week of buying the bed, the back pain eased. After a month, I was waking up like a normal person!

Had a queen sized bed for a couple years and liked it so much that we upgraded to a king when we moved. (Sold the queen for about what we originally paid.)

For back pain, you cannot beat the Tempurpedic. I will never own another brand.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Greg: We Have A Medium Price Tempurpedic We Bought For Around $3,000. Great Warranty & We Really Like It.
What is the name of it if you remember?
Old 08-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
What is the name of it if you remember?
Trying To Find It.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Consumer Reports' top rated memory foam is the Serta iComfort Savant EverFeel ($1600). Actually, when someone is making a large purchase, I usually suggest a subscription to CR. They ain't perfect, but they try.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Consumer Reports' top rated memory foam is the Serta iComfort Savant EverFeel ($1600). Actually, when someone is making a large purchase, I usually suggest a subscription to CR. They ain't perfect, but they try.
Yeah, I read quite a bit on this page while looking for info: http://www.oldbedguy.com

And the Charles P. Rogers has two mattresses on the innerspring side of CR.

I will check out the Icomfort for sure.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Greg: Can't Find The Model #, But It Was Just A Standard King. 10 Years Old & We Still Have Great Support, Especially For This Big Old Body Of Mine!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Greg: Can't Find The Model #, But It Was Just A Standard King. 10 Years Old & We Still Have Great Support, Especially For This Big Old Body Of Mine!
Thanks for trying. I will go back and try some more when I have the time to do it.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #10
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

On 10/30/2005, the wife and I drove over to Sit n' Sleep in Santa Clarita, CA. We tried out every bed (of decent quality) several times, including the Tempur-Pedic.

We kept going back to the Tempur-Pedic and it was a no brainer from our point of view. We went with the 10" thick mattress Queen, heavy duty frame, the Tempur-Pedic pillow (for me. Wife chose a different pillow). Sit n' Sleep delivered, set-up, took the old frame/mattress out (which they gave us a discount/trade-in for), and the total price then, including tax and license out the door was $2,749.52 (20 Year Limited Warranty). Like Vin stated, they do give you and option to pay over a 5 year period as well.

Its a great bed Greg. The reason we purchased was my wife has some neck and back issues, and this bed is a winner for her (and myself). I understand they have adjustable's too:

http://www.tempurpedic.com/TEMPUR-Er...96&rfcr=search

There is no other bed as far as we're concerned!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

One thing to keep in mind is that memory foam mattresses are warmer (sometimes much warmer) than "regular" mattresses. For some this is not an issue and for others it is a big issue. If it could be an issue for you, you may want to consider one that is vented.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #12
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

We love our temperpedic
Old 08-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #13
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Love my Sleep Number.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Hey Michael, that could be an issue for me. Not for the wife though she is always freezing and I get hot in the middle of the night, and I have read a lot about that and thanks for offering it up.

Update:
So I bought a split king that has two twin XL with a head and footboard. Not needed with adjustable but the wife wanted it so the wife got it. The adjustable part is a Leggett and Platt and the mattresses are made by Bedboss and are the Visco Heir ET, Linky I looked at reviews and we tested it out in the store. This mattress is compared to a tempurpedic pretty regularly. And it's quite a bit less money. I think we paid around $3600 delivered and set up but the stupid head/foot board was like $399 so it's not too bad. We slept on it last night and it was pretty nice. I like the adjustable for watching tv. Plus we did buy two of the Bedboss pillows as well and they are the ones that you flip one way for on your back and another it has the notch for sleeping on your side. We had the pillows for a week before we got the bed and the wife said her shoulders and neck hurts a lot less when she wakes up now. Thanks for all the input and ideas my friends.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Good deal Greg
Old 08-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #16
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Forgot to add that bedboss (and lots of others) have the top layer at a higher density bamboo infused. Sposed to keep it cooler. Time will tell. Didn't seem any hotter last night than our pillowtop Sealy posturepedic did.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #17
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Agree.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #18
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

We just went through the same process. We ungraded to a king. I read and read and read. I came to the final conclusion to test them for myself. In the case of mattresses, people's opinions don't mean squat, because how does anyone know how I like it? We went to numerous stores and laid around on all types of beds. We finally found one we kept going back to and got it. It was a Sealy something, don't remember and don't care. Feels great and sleeps well.

Good luck with your purchase, Greg.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #19
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
We just went through the same process. We ungraded to a king. I read and read and read. I came to the final conclusion to test them for myself. In the case of mattresses, people's opinions don't mean squat, because how does anyone know how I like it? We went to numerous stores and laid around on all types of beds. We finally found one we kept going back to and got it. It was a Sealy something, don't remember and don't care. Feels great and sleeps well.

Good luck with your purchase, Greg.
Thanks Jamie, and you with yours. We didn't go lay on a whole bunch. We did go and lay on several tempurpedics and a couple of other ones. The one we bought was ironically the first one that we went and looked at. I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the one we bought and the tempurpedics and we liked it a whole lot better than some of the other brands we did lay on. So far I am very pleased with it. The amount of satisfaction I have with the pillows we bought is what is surprising to me. Don't know why it is but we always bought fairly cheap pillows over the years. These pillows cost about 65 a piece and I am soooooooo glad we bought them to go with the bed.