Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough
Default XBOX 360 Question

Is this system really worth it and is it necessary to have an HDD in it?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Darrell

Default Re: XBOX 360 Question

Hell yeah it's worth it!

Well, it's good to have a HDD so you don't need to rely on a memory card for saving games.

Now that the new dashboard is upgraded and if you have an XBL gold account and Netflix, you can watch streaming movies.

XBOX 360 rocks!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Check around, you can get a refub premuim for $150.00 shipped.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Kneo
The Second One

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (3)
Kneo will become famous soon enough

Yes, it is worth every penny. I have all three major systems on the market right now and each one is worth it IMO. The Xbox is great for online gaming and has a great selection of games.

a HDD is a must in my book!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Hell yeah it's worth it!

Well, it's good to have a HDD so you don't need to rely on a memory card for saving games.

Now that the new dashboard is upgraded and if you have an XBL gold account and Netflix, you can watch streaming movies.

XBOX 360 rocks!
Darrell what is the dashboard. I have a 360 and have never used it.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Yes it's worth it, and yes, get a HDD. If you don't have internet, and don't mind memory cards, then you can get away without an HDD. But I would suggest it.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
Darrell what is the dashboard. I have a 360 and have never used it.
It's the menu system on the XBOX. It shows your achievements, gamer points, friend list, etc.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

I was just signing on to post this question! My kid wants one for x-mas and I don't know a darn thing about them. What is the difference in the models other than 20gig, 30gig, etc.?
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
cigars_n_scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
Is this system really worth it and is it necessary to have an HDD in it?

Thanks!
Yes it is truly worth it, just for LIVE it's worth it. And yes, you really should get the HDD for mere storage space.

There are so MANY great titles for Xbox, right now is the time to get it because of the drop in price. My fiancee is quite mad she paid almost $100 more last year for my xbox than what they are going for now. DO IT!

Go here for information on the diff. models, prices may me different now with the price drop but you'll get the point: http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-the-...box-360-Models

Last edited by cigars_n_scotch; 11-20-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added webpage for model help
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophernut View Post
I was just signing on to post this question! My kid wants one for x-mas and I don't know a darn thing about them. What is the difference in the models other than 20gig, 30gig, etc.?
Not much, other than HDD space. As far as I know. I know their is no "souped" up processor or anything, all of the processors are the same across the board, so it must just be the HDD space.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info. Are there any accessories that would be "required" for this assuming it's going to a 12 year old boy?
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
cigars_n_scotch

Definitely wireless controllers. A Wired headset comes with it and that's fine unless you wanted to opt for the wireless bluetooth looking headset. He's going to want to talk to his friends. Perhaps also the battery charger and packs, I go through a ton of batteries. Extra controllers.

Xbox Live membership and the networking adapter

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/accessories/
Old 11-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Not much, other than HDD space. As far as I know. I know their is no "souped" up processor or anything, all of the processors are the same across the board, so it must just be the HDD space.
There also used to be a difference where some models came with bulit in HDMI support and others required an additional adapter. I'm not sure if that is still true but it is something to look out for.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
kwoody

And of course the token 360 > PS3
Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Check around, you can get a refub premuim for $150.00 shipped.
No No and NO.

These things have atrocious failure rates. The ONLY saving grace of the Xbox 360 is the 3 year warranty that comes with it when you buy it brand new.

Do not buy a used one or a refurb. Period.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoody View Post
And of course the token 360 > PS3
That's so false, I don't even know where to begin.

They're about on par right now and it pretty much boils down to the exclusive game franchises you like, or the new emerging franchises.

The extra hardware cost of the PS3 can easily be justified for the blu-ray player.

While the PS3 may lose a few points in the exclusive titles department, it makes up for with free online play versus having to pay for a yearly subscription.

It really depends on what you want out of the system.

I own both consoles, and love both. The failure rate of the Xbox 360 (that's not even factoring in the annoying and abundant disc read errors... know how frustrating it is to spend an hour trying to beat a boss, you finally beat him, then get a disc read error at the cutscene before it saves?) and the requirement of a yearly payment online are my two biggest gripes with the platform as a whole.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #17
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

My orginal 360 took a dump on me "ring of death" and flashed the three red lights. It was a hardware failure on Microsofts part and they sent me a brand new 360. I haven't had any problems with the new one. I like the 360 and now you can get them for $200. I don't like having to pay for a yearly subscription to xbox live though.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
My orginal 360 took a dump on me "ring of death" and flashed the three red lights. It was a hardware failure on Microsofts part and they sent me a brand new 360. I haven't had any problems with the new one. I like the 360 and now you can get them for $200. I don't like having to pay for a yearly subscription to xbox live though.
Same thing happened to me and no problems here either. I'll PM you tomorrow when both of our 360's crap out tonight, because we jinxed ourselves.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Same thing happened to me and no problems here either. I'll PM you tomorrow when both of our 360's crap out tonight, because we jinxed ourselves.

I made a comment on how my Xbox had been running fine. No issues. It just must be how people treat them or what not.

2 weeks later, it was RRODing.

I think you two sealed the fate of your 360's. The only way to prevent failure is to accept it LOL.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #20
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
No No and NO.

These things have atrocious failure rates. The ONLY saving grace of the Xbox 360 is the 3 year warranty that comes with it when you buy it brand new.

Do not buy a used one or a refurb. Period.
Ok thanks for that.

From what I have read some people feel the refurbs are actually a better bet since they have been through the process, get a new fan or whatever and have less of a chance of failing than when they were new. You still get a one year warranty, so it's not like you get nothing.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/u...furbished.aspx

For what it's worth I have one of the 360's with the "new" chip that are supposedly less susceptible to failure. But I barely every use it.