Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
catfish2

Default I need help from my brothers in the south

This post probably belongs in the food section, but I’m hoping the mods will leave it here so that more people will see it to help me. I going down to Alabama in a couple weeks. My boss has asked me to pick him up some clear molasses and some caramel colored molasses. I brought up to him blackstrap and clear corn syrup. He told me that this stuff isn’t as strong as blackstrap. As far as the corn syrup goes he claims that it’s definitely molasses. I‘ve never heard of this. Has anybody in Alabama heard of these and if so would they know where I could get them. One last thing is that the clear stuff might be called light molasses.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
catfish2

Default Re: I need help from my brothers in the south

I'll give this one more try then I'll let it go.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Haven't been to down south for awhile,but I checked online and the Ala. grocery stores still seem to be Winn Dixie and Publix. My guess is that you could go into either of those stores or even a Wal Mart and find what you looking for. Just ask the cutest lady in the baking aisle to help you out. Never heard of clear molasses, but then that doesn't mean much.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Don: I've Heard Of It, But Don't Know For Sure Where To Find It. Like Was Already Suggested, Wal-Mart Or Winn-Dixie Would Be Your Best Bet. GL!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I lived most of my life in Louisiana which is pretty far south but syrups are a bit different from one area to the next. In LA this is what we use:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/condiment...-c-1_6_14.html
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I don't know about Alabama but around here we have fruit and vegetable stands that also sell lots of local honey, molasses and other local wares. Since we're all in the South it can't be that different, can it?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
catfish2

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can find when I'm down there. I just might have to tell him that he's out of luck.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish2 View Post
Thanks guys. I'll see what I can find when I'm down there. I just might have to tell him that he's out of luck.
Plain ol Karo Syrup in the bottle is light corn syrup that is used for cooking, my mother used it to make pralines with. It is sold pretty much everywhere in grocery stores.

Blackstrap is some really heavy thick stuff and super strong, I have seen it and tasted it before and was not good for much that I could think of.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Blackstrap is some really heavy thick stuff and super strong, I have seen it and tasted it before and was not good for much that I could think of.
That is pure blasphemy!!!!

All I can say is it is good on almost everything but can't be beat on bisquits!!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
catfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
That is pure blasphemy!!!!

All I can say is it is good on almost everything but can't be beat on bisquits!!

Sorry, but I have to agree with smokin gator. I put it on my biscuits, eggs, grits. I pretty much pour it onto everything on the plate. Come to think of it I do the same thing with hot sauce. What the hell is wrong with me.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Sorry, but I have to agree with smokin gator. I put it on my biscuits, eggs, grits. I pretty much pour it onto everything on the plate. Come to think of it I do the same thing with hot sauce. What the hell is wrong with me.
I will stick with my Pure Cane Syrup, you guys can corner the Blackstrap market.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I will stick with my Pure Cane Syrup, you guys can corner the Blackstrap market.
Just try this once... pour a couple inch circle of molasses on a plate. Put a 2 tablespoon piece of butter in the middle and mash it all together with a fork. Then spread it on a bisquit.

If you don't like it then I will respect it.... I won't understand it... but I will respect it.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
catfish2

Quote:
It's all a matter of taste. Some people like Rocky Patel, at the same time one guy that I work with likes Backwoods smokes.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Just try this once... pour a couple inch circle of molasses on a plate. Put a 2 tablespoon piece of butter in the middle and mash it all together with a fork. Then spread it on a bisquit.

If you don't like it then I will respect it.... I won't understand it... but I will respect it.
Based on your Wing Recipe I will give this a try next time I am back home and can get some premium stuff.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
catfish2

Quote:

God I forgot to mention the butter.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
And some put both on - at the same time.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #17
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Personally, I don't get the blackstrap or cane syrup. Tried numerous things with them and just didn't get it. Have a number of recipes that I will use them for, but to use it on pancakes, biscuits, or some such... just doesn't trip my trigger.

I love the people down south, their hospitality is how I think people should act toward others. There is some great fishing. Thoroughly enjoy some of the food down there; bar-b-q, seafood, catfish, and spicy stuff. But, I could never live in the south.
Reasons?
1) Climate. I cannot stand temps above 72.
2) Grits - I just don't get it.

Love you guys!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #18
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

Reasons?

Love you guys!

Todd, What's not to like

1. Climate - my blood doesn't even start to flow good until the temps hit 80*
2. Girls Raised In The South - love me some grits

the food version is pretty damn good as well. When I joined the Navy they served something called furina at breakfast and tried to BS me that it was the same as grits. The lieing sumbiatches -
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Reasons?

Love you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Todd, What's not to like

1. Climate - my blood doesn't even start to flow good until the temps hit 80*
2. Girls Raised In The South - love me some grits

the food version is pretty damn good as well. When I joined the Navy they served something called furina at breakfast and tried to BS me that it was the same as grits. The lieing sumbiatches -
80? That's like....

... hell! Unless the humidity is like 20% and there's a 30 MPH breeze blowing.
I love to be outside doing stuff, and when it gets warm (and 80 is way, way, way to hot) I'd rather be in front of an air conditioner. I know, when I get older it probably won't be the same, but they've been telling me that for the last 47 years.

Besides, coolin' is producive to cuddlin'. And I likes cuddlin' with my honey.

Good grits... bad grits... they're just nasty in the mouth. There is something about the texture that is just - just - wrong (). You cannot eat them plain, even the good folks down south say that you have to put something on them. Sorry, if they have no flavor of their own, what's the point?

I know I'm treading holy ground here, but I'm not trying to. I know people love grits. Hey, I'm sure there are things in my life that I love that cause people to look at me strange - like cigars. They just aren't my cup of tea (which is something else that I enjoy that many probably don't).

Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #20
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Hehe, just playing around with ya. Of course I have similar thoughts about people who live where the snowfall is taller than me. Wassup with that? Heat I can handle, the cold not so much. I'm from LA and AL and the wife is from PA and NJ..... Needless to say we have some very different ideas on how some things should be done, eaten, or handled. Makes for a fun marriage