Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default U.N Meatballs

This started out with a basic Swedish Meatball recipe, but with the other spices I throw in, my friends christened them U.N. Meatballs.

1 small can condensed beef stock
6 Tbsp flour
16 Oz sour cream (1 container)
3 lbs ground beef
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp curry powder

Now, for the meatballs, sometimes I'll cheat and buy the frozen packages. If I'm making them from scratch, I like to make them like this:

Take two slices of white bread (crusts removed), dice up, and mash into a thick paste with milk, A-1 sauce and granulated garlic. Mix well with ground beef, then form into meatballs and pan-fry. (This is also a great way to prepare hamburgers for the grill. You can sear them nicely and they'll still be nice and moist on the inside.)

Once the meatballs are done, set them aside on paper-towels to drain. Drain fat, then pour the beef stock into the same pan and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the flour to make a rue. Bring the rue to a simmer, then begin adding the sour scream a spoon at a time, mixing in well. Add pepper, paprika, and curry to taste. Keep in mind that curry has a tendency to "power up" as you cook it, so start slow. I also occasionally use a bit of turmeric. Just be careful, as it can turn your sauce an unappetizing yellow if you use too much.

Once the sauce is done, add meatballs and sauce to a crockpot set to warm. You can prepare the sauce early and refrigerate, but you'll probably want to reheat a bit before adding to the crockpot to make it easier to stir.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote