Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #1721
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Smoked Lamb Chop

Its amazing.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #1722
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

so i'm gonna try hot wings... think 2 hrs at 325 is enough time?

should i put the wings on top or under the ribs?
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #1723
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacboy View Post
gonna turn on the bradley this weekend for some ribs... last time i did ABT with them... want to try something new this time as a appetizer... any rec?
Chicken wings.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #1724
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Cabbage is done. Its amazing

Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #1725
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
Smoked Lamb Chop

Its amazing.
Licking my chops here!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #1726
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Never would've thought about lamb chops. Now just need to pick some up and try myself.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #1727
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero95 View Post
Great stuff guys. Has anybody ever bought any spices from this place http://texasbbqrub.com/texasbbqrub.htm

Thanks for the website Aaron. I personally have not, but maybe others have...
Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #1728
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

After all the pellet smoker talk this morning, I decided to throw together a quick fatty this afternoon and toss it in the smoker.

Grabbed some ground turkey, seasoned it up to taste like the typical Americanized stadium bratwurst, stuffed it with sauerkraut, cheese, some chopped onions, pickled jalapeño & fresno peppers, relish and mustard; rolled it up, froze it for 30 minutes and tossed it into the smoker with oak, cherry and a touch of apple.

Came out quite good save a bit too much smoke for the brat, it kind of overpowered the bratwurst flavor a bit, but not too much smoke to eat. I need to up the spices next time or use less smoke.

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #1729
mariogolbee

Adam, that looks fantastic!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #1730
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Looks good, Adam!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #1731
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

My first attempt at freshly cured and hickory smoked bacon today.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #1732
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
After all the pellet smoker talk this morning, I decided to throw together a quick fatty this afternoon and toss it in the smoker.

Grabbed some ground turkey, seasoned it up to taste like the typical Americanized stadium bratwurst, stuffed it with sauerkraut, cheese, some chopped onions, pickled jalapeño & fresno peppers, relish and mustard; rolled it up, froze it for 30 minutes and tossed it into the smoker with oak, cherry and a touch of apple.
Mouth watering Adam! ...So where's the Cilantro?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #1733
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Thanks guys.

The 'kraut fatty still needs some tweaking, but it'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
My first attempt at freshly cured and hickory smoked bacon today.
Pete, very nice coloration on the bacon. Is that an Alton Brown terracotta pot style smoker?

Last edited by T.G; 04-03-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #1734
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Thanks guys.

The 'kraut fatty still needs some tweaking, but it'll get there.

Pete, very nice coloration on the bacon. Is that an Alton Brown terracotta pot style smoker?
yeah... Didn't have the appropriate terra cotta-ish top for it, so I just plunked my kettle grill cover over it. I had the large bottom already, and a electric element burner, so I thought I would MacGyver it up a bit.
It turned out well, sliced a smidge off the end for sampling off the smoker, a bit salty and extra smoky, but that's normal for an end I suppose/hope. The slab is in the chill chest now for slicing later, so I hope to see happiness. I don't imagine it will kill me in any case, so what the hell.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #1735
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
yeah... Didn't have the appropriate terra cotta-ish top for it, so I just plunked my kettle grill cover over it. I had the large bottom already, and a electric element burner, so I thought I would MacGyver it up a bit.
It turned out well, sliced a smidge off the end for sampling off the smoker, a bit salty and extra smoky, but that's normal for an end I suppose/hope. The slab is in the chill chest now for slicing later, so I hope to see happiness. I don't imagine it will kill me in any case, so what the hell.
Cool. Have you done other cooks in the terracotta smoker or is this the first? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on their performance after you've done a few cooks.

I've never made bacon, but I have done other low temp smokes and yes, it's always really smokey around the ends because of the greater exposed surface area.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #1736
txsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero95 View Post
Great stuff guys. Has anybody ever bought any spices from this place http://texasbbqrub.com/texasbbqrub.htm
I have been a customer for years and also receive the free monthly newsletter. I just stocked up on more...they are running a special that expires tonight or tomorrow. Thought I would share it with you. My favorite is the grand champion.

http://www.texasbbqrubspecials.com/?page_id=2
Old 04-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #1737
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Cool. Have you done other cooks in the terracotta smoker or is this the first? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on their performance after you've done a few cooks.

I've never made bacon, but I have done other low temp smokes and yes, it's always really smokey around the ends because of the greater exposed surface area.
Just the one, sir. Complete rookie (both me and the smoker). I have put in countless hours in front of a grill, but I imagine any Smoker, BBQ'er, or Charcutier would say that doesn't count for spit.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #1738
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
To get rid of some of the salt, you can par-boil the bacon in some boiling water. Just a min or so. That'll help draw out some of the salt plus help it crisp up really nicely.

Did you take the skin off before putting in the fridge? It comes off much easier when warm. You could always leave it on and cook up with the bacon. Built in crackin's.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #1739
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Yes, I had read that in Ruhlmans book, and if I have oversalted, that was my attack. Skin was removed, rather well, and with a nice cap left. Kudos to the butcher on that.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #1740
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Keep up the good work Pete. Just don't make the mistake of giving away some of your bacon to family/friends. You'll forever be hounded with the question, "When are we going to get some more of your bacon?".