Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 02-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #21
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Burger Joints - What's Your Fav?

Was asking around recently, myself. Had a spectacularly crappy burger experience at TGIF recently. Love Ted's Montana Grill burgers....but, I have a little trouble swallowing the $50 check for two. I have been a fan of 5 Guys for years, but last couple visits were disappointing...not sure if it is them or me. I, too, like BK on rare occasion...the BK Junior is a good, little burger most of the time. And, I have to strongly disagree with the comment about McD's fries....they have sucked big time since they changed the oil...what, maybe 15-18 years ago? The BK fries are far and away better.

Denny's patty melt used to be as good a burger as you could get at 2AM...but they dropped it from their menu a couple years ago and I no longer see any reason to go near the place.

I've had good experiences at Red Robin and Fuddruckers, but neither for quite some time. I'm going to try both very soon...if only to get the taste of that TGIF burger out of my mouth.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
Strictly a west coast operation but I've been chomping down on these since the early 70's. Amazingly I'm still alive. Mostly.

Ooohh -- I do love me some Tommy's! Used to go to Tommy's all the time when I lived in SoCal.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #23
dave
Have My Own Room

Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Just checked... the McD oil change I was referring to was in 1990 (beef tallow to vegetable)....geez, I'm getting old
Old 02-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #24
Dux
Lebowski Urban Achiever!

Trading: (24)
Partagas
Dux has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Been going out of my way recently to hit Shake Shack. There's something about their Smoke Shack Burger and those delicious cherry peppers along with the bacon & their sauce (I add onion too) that just hits the spot for me.

Based on burgers only, my top three - in order - would be:

1. Shake Shack
2. In 'n Out
3. Five Guys

Shout outs to Johnny Rockets for their Chocolate Malteds, and you won't be able convince that McDonald's doesn't have the best fries when you hit them just right. Other places may have a better fry on a consistent basis, but when a McDonald's french fry is in the zone, there's none better.

What do you like? And why?

If I could have a SS burger with FG fries
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #25
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Was asking around recently, myself. Had a spectacularly crappy burger experience at TGIF recently. Love Ted's Montana Grill burgers....but, I have a little trouble swallowing the $50 check for two. I have been a fan of 5 Guys for years, but last couple visits were disappointing...not sure if it is them or me. I, too, like BK on rare occasion...the BK Junior is a good, little burger most of the time. And, I have to strongly disagree with the comment about McD's fries....they have sucked big time since they changed the oil...what, maybe 15-18 years ago? The BK fries are far and away better.

Denny's patty melt used to be as good a burger as you could get at 2AM...but they dropped it from their menu a couple years ago and I no longer see any reason to go near the place.

I've had good experiences at Red Robin and Fuddruckers, but neither for quite some time. I'm going to try both very soon...if only to get the taste of that TGIF burger out of my mouth.

I'd rather not eat fries than eat BK fries. And I loves me some fries, so that's saying something.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #26
dave
Have My Own Room

Partagas Navy (Retired)

Well...I'm willing to agree to disagree.

I will say, however, that while I also love me some fries....Wendy's fries are not even edible
Old 02-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #27
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
My favorite is Beinlichs outside of Chicago. They make a very tender patty, not too thick or thin. They only allow grilled onions and cheese to be ordered on the burger... they don't allow salads. It's a lodge type atmosphere with the short menu posted on the wall.
That's probably tops among the independants in Chicagoland, not sure why, but they're awesome. Introduced by the Dark Lord many years ago.

I remember when the chain first opened, Fuddruckers were really good. They went downhill over the years, and now they're not even around here anymore.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #28
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Nota bene, Harold & Kumar did NOT go to Mickey Ds.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #29
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Well...I'm willing to agree to disagree.

I will say, however, that while I also love me some fries....Wendy's fries are not even edible
Wendy's were great back when they were the larger fries and some had the skin on them. I don't know why they changed them, but yep, they're no good.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #30
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Without a doubt it would be Nicky's in Wrentham, Mass. The burgers are Old School; no frills, nothing fancy but... high quality ingredients, bakery buns, everything expertly prepared with the lettuce, tomato and pickles served on the side. The meat to bun to condiment ratio is perfect; everything is always perfect. It is quite simply the best diner in the Universe! I have no connection with it whatsoever but check out this menu:

http://www.nickysfamilydining.com/lunch-dinner-menu/
Old 02-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #31
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post

I'd rather not eat fries than eat BK fries. And I loves me some fries, so that's saying something.
Agreed. I Will Not Eat BK Fries. McD, Whataburger, Five Guys Fries Are Good!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #32
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Shake Shack
Old 02-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #33
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Without a doubt it would be Nicky's in Wrentham, Mass. The burgers are Old School; no frills, nothing fancy but... high quality ingredients, bakery buns, everything expertly prepared with the lettuce, tomato and pickles served on the side. The meat to bun to condiment ratio is perfect; everything is always perfect. It is quite simply the best diner in the Universe! I have no connection with it whatsoever but check out this menu:

That's a nice menu. I grew up in New England and miss the seafood. Not that the stuff down here is bad, but it ain't New England.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #34
ksknnr
Feeling at Home

First Name: Kevin
ksknnr is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm going to have to check this place out, only about 1/2 hour from me
Old 02-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #35
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Suprised no one has mentioned Minetta Tavern in NYC. The age of the beef comes through like I have never had on hamburger, but price like it too...

I like Wild Willy's which is a small chain around New England. Straightforward, but top notch. Actually one of my favorite regular family places to eat.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #36
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I didn't mention Minetta Tavern because I've never been to NYC.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #37
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I didn't mention Minetta Tavern because I've never been to NYC.
That's no excuse.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #38
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Come to Winnipeg - the ultimate hipster joint:
Nuburger

They are excellent - with burgers like:
Blueberry yum yum
Drunken Aussie
Etc

Otherwise I go with Five Guys
Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #39
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Well they aren't around anymore but in Somerville MA there was Worldly Wings, I worked there when I first got to Boston, we would trim down whole roast beefs to cook for sandwiches and take the trimmings and grind them for burgers while mixing in some chuck and other cow parts. They actually had great "steak burgers" as they called them. It was right next door to the Jazz club where Whitey used to meet with his boys.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksknnr View Post
I'm going to have to check this place out, only about 1/2 hour from me
Perfect.

Also this
Quote:
Extras: Jimmies $.10
You can tell New England by "Jimmies" even I Florida we grew up saying that as my family was from Boston, never sprinkles always Jimmies.

(All kidding aside, you can't beat the prices there!)

Last edited by AdamJoshua; 02-03-2017 at 02:30 PM.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #40
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post

Also this You can tell New England by "Jimmies" even I Florida we grew up saying that as my family was from Boston, never sprinkles always Jimmies.

(All kidding aside, you can't beat the prices there!)
Don't forget the Frappe (In New England frappes have ice cream, shakes don't).