Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #21
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sam Leccia's Debut on hold

Typically NC's don't hold up too well in court. The last one I remember was an exec. leaving Microsoft for Google. MSFT tried to sue but got no where. I am not sure with the case of Sam though because it is very direct competition, also I would not be surprised if his new cigar was very similar to the Cain and NUB cigars he already made.

I would like to put my self on the top of the list for guys to receive all those cigars that are just going to be sitting in a warehouse somewhere for an indefinite amount of time.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #22
bigheadmark
Uncle Jun, how was Boca?

First Name: MARK
Trading: (1)
bigheadmark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
non compete clauses are fairly standard in many industries especially when their is a significant investment made by the company into an individual (as in this case)
bigheadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #23
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Regarding the 5 year Non-Compete clause, I'm wondering:

Does the clause begin when Leccia started employment with Olivia in or around 2008 (ends in 2013), or when Leccia left the employment of Olivia in or around 2010 (ends in 2015)?

Old 07-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #24
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Regarding the 5 year Non-Compete clause, I'm wondering:

Does the clause begin when Leccia started employment with Olivia in or around 2008 (ends in 2013), or when Leccia left the employment of Olivia in or around 2010 (ends in 2015)?

Assuming it's valid, it's the latter option: 2015.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #25
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Typically NC's don't hold up too well in court. The last one I remember was an exec. leaving Microsoft for Google. MSFT tried to sue but got no where. I am not sure with the case of Sam though because it is very direct competition, also I would not be surprised if his new cigar was very similar to the Cain and NUB cigars he already made.
The fact that Oliva was able to get an injunction means that they were already able to persuade a judge that they have a good chance (legalese = "substantial likelihood") of succeeding in their overall suit to completely enforce the agreement. That's not a guarantee that Oliva will win, but it's a strong indicator.

Also, Sam's Debut line was directly matching up with, at least to some degree, Studio Tobac's NUB Plus plans: the announced Debut vitolas were 5x60, 7x60, and a 7x52 figurado.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Oliva put a lot of time and money into the creating, promoting and distributing the NuB and Cain line and had the foresight to make someone like Sam the face of it. It seems Sam thought he was going to able to immediately transfer the success given to him by Oliva to his own company. Apparently Oliva had different ideas and knew this when they put the non-compete clause in his contract. If he had left on good terms, would they allow him to compete immediately?

Also remember that Sam was going to need another large cigar company to make, promote and distribute his new line. Again, Oliva probably doesn't want to allow him to transfer the image/success they created for him to another 'competitor' in the industry. Not knowing much about competition amongst the large companies, it may be to prevent him from helping another company or it may be out of spite based on the nature of the split from Oliva.
This was annouced a little while back. Looks like Torano Cigars was/is going to distribute Sam's new cigars.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #27
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

So did Sam actually create the blends for NUB and Cain lines?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #28
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseboston81 View Post
Also, Sam's Debut line was directly matching up with, at least to some degree, Studio Tobac's NUB Plus plans: the announced Debut vitolas were 5x60, 7x60, and a 7x52 figurado.
I am thinking this is where his problems lie. If his three sizes are the same as the nub plus sizes then Olivia would have a very good case.
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #29
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

Wow... Thats bad... Hopefully they can settel it down in a good term...
Old 07-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #30
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
I am thinking this is where his problems lie. If his three sizes are the same as the nub plus sizes then Olivia would have a very good case.Posted via Mobile Device
For negotiation purposes:

Maybe Leccia could offer up his entire inventory of the above sizes to Olivia, and agree to not create these size vitola' for the next 5 years. In exchange;

Olivia would be asked to drop their law suit/non-compete clause, and allow Leccia to continue forward with his line of cigars, but in different size vitola' other than the size vitola' in question.

Just a thought...
Old 07-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #31
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

there's a good way to do this and then there's the way that oliva did it. they could have let sam go to rtda and then settle this for a good portion of his profits for the next 4.5 years and then none of us would be having this discussion
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #32
aaron72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (4)
aaron72 is on a distinguished road

I knew something had to happen. I didn't see how he was going to just be able to come out with his own line without some sort of agreement with Oliva.
aaron72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #33
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
So did Sam actually create the blends for NUB and Cain lines?
No.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #34
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
i don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from anyone trying to stop someone else from making a living. when you're knowledge and experience is in one area, i don't see how you can limit a person from using that to provide for his family
As a completely objective observer who has never smoked or had any interest in this guy's cigars, I have to agree. Is Oliva truly concerned that Sam Leccia is going to put a dent in their bottom line?

On the other hand, NC clauses are standard for most employment contracts, but 5 years? That's crazy and he probably should not have agreed to it in the first place.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #35
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Is Oliva truly concerned that Sam Leccia is going to put a dent in their bottom line?
Likely not. But remember, Oliva created NUB and Cain and to some extent the image of Sam and he likely didn't leave in an admirable way. It may be purely out of spite by Oliva for Sam thinking he was larger than life when he left. Its all speculation, but they likely wouldn't be trying to blackball him had he left under good terms.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #36
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

This is crazy, I have a feeling it may hurt Oliva and help Sam
Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #37
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
This is crazy, I have a feeling it may hurt Oliva and help Sam
No. Particularly if Sam has to wait 5 years to work in the industry, by the time he can re-enter the market place the mood of the industry may have changed and not crave the 'rock-and-roll'/'bad boy image' that seems to be so popular of late.

Oliva is one of the most respected/consistent/affordable/well-made/highly rated cigars across the board and Studio Tabac seems to be just another step in the right direction for them.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #38
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
No.
yes
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #39
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
yes
no
Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #40
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
At the same time it's not like these sizes are not becoming the norm among cigar manufacturers. As much as some us agree that they will never be our go to sizes these sized sticks do sell very well. I know at my local the larger RGs always sell out first.