Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
the jiggler
ˇtaste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about
Default Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

The short:

Does anyone else ever avoid buying (or even smoking) a cigar specifically of because of some negative, personal association you have with the name (cigar or brand)?

The long:

I am sure most would admit that they have tried a cigar solely because the name or label resonated with them for some reason. I mean who doesn't want to try a MUWAT just becuase it has the word Uzi in it? If someone made a cigar called Appetite for Destruction, I would buy a fiver on principle alone. What I am interested in is sort of the opposite of this effect. Avoiding a cigar solely because of the name or the label regardless of the amount of positive press it gets.

Trying to not come off sounding like a nut job...I wonder if I am the only one (willing to admit it publicly) that avoids trying certain cigars because of what they are called. As an example, I avoid cigars with names like Devil's Weed, Warlock, Vudu, Ghurka's Evil or even Illusione's Illusione 2 and Crowned of Thorns because of the names. As a Christian (my hypocrisy knows no bounds), I am just uncomfortable smoking something called Evil.

Or take Swag. The word swag is so over used by my kids and kids of friends that I won't smoke one because I am sick of the word even though a good buddy and fellow member of this board really likes and highly recommends them.

I could go on but we'd quickly get into deep down places I don't like to talk about at parties.

Anybody else with me?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

Not to come off sounding like a jerk, but Uzi is acceptible, but Illusione isn't?

FWIW, I don't like what I precieve as overly marketed (priced) cigars such as Gurkas. I feel like I've been taken if I overpay for a particular smoke. With that said I don't mind paying for quality, and a smoke I enjoy.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

Who cares, they are only words. It's the taste that matters.
I'd smoke cigars called goat turds if they tasted good.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

I can understand your trend of thought. As an example, when I pledged my fraternity, my Dean's line name was Son of Satan. In return, since my line would be his last line to be the Dean of, my line name became..."The Last Seven Sons of Satan".. I refused to put the word Satan on any of my line clothes...so it became.."The Last Seven Sons".

If a name makes you uncomfortable, who are us to judge? Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
keith_mahoney
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Keith
Trading: (0)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
keith_mahoney is on a distinguished road

Ha, I actually have a negative feelings about MUWAT ever since I first saw it. It just comes across as a stupid gimmick trying to cash in on kids thinking it's so cool to be gangsta.
Cigars bring peace and relaxation to my mind. I like to read a book and sit back and sip on some whiskey and water not slam some fotey's while raw-dogging some randoms.
keith_mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
LOL! Agreed. I'm sure some of us smoke something another would call a "goat turd" that we enjoy...it is what it is.
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_mahoney View Post
not slam some fotey's while raw-dogging some randoms.
Huh?
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

I personally don't let names and labels dictate what I choose to buy. That goes well beyond cigars, and extends into just about any consumer product out there. Some people only buy Sony TVs, some only drive American cars, some people won't buy stuff made in China, and some buy only Apple products (or intentionally avoid Apple products).

I think a lot of what you see with cigars is a carefully constructed marketing campaign to get you to buy them, as well they probably should, since the boutique cigar market is getting crowded. Some cigar manufacturers will spend a fortune making a "cool looking box" a la Gurkha, but the cigars in them aren't very well regarded. And some, such as Illusione, use an overall theme to their line of cigars.

The beauty part is, you get to decide to buy what you want or feel comfortable with.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
Huh?
It's not English, Seth.
You can check urbandictonary.com for a translation.
I know I had to.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Did anyone else think of George Carlin based on the title?

To answer your question, me I don't want to try a MUWAT. I don't care how fancy of a name they give the cigar it certainly won't sway me into purchasing one. However it might completely turn me off of ever buying them.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Did anyone else think of George Carlin based on the title?

To answer your question, me I don't want to try a MUWAT. I don't care how fancy of a name they give the cigar it certainly won't sway me into purchasing one. However it might completely turn me off of ever buying them.
So if someone sent you some MUWAT sticks that were un-banded in a trade and you thought they were one of the best cigars you have ever had, Your telling me that you wouldnt buy anymore after you had found out what they were based upon the name of the cigar?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
keith_mahoney
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Keith
Trading: (0)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
keith_mahoney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So if someone sent you some MUWAT sticks that were un-banded in a trade and you thought they were one of the best cigars you have ever had, Your telling me that you wouldnt buy anymore after you had found out what they were based upon the name of the cigar?

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but since I am also avoiding these I will give you me answer.

If someone gifted me one even with a band on it, I would try it and give it a fair shake. What I won't do is go out of my way to spend my money on something which seems to be a gimmick.
keith_mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_mahoney View Post
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but since I am also avoiding these I will give you me answer.

If someone gifted me one even with a band on it, I would try it and give it a fair shake. What I won't do is go out of my way to spend my money on something which seems to be a gimmick.
Well I can appreciate that. I just don't understand people that won't even try a cigar based on it's name. If you smoked one and liked it, what difference does it make what the name of the cigar is?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Relax Josh, Bill didn't say _why_ he had no interest in the MUWAT, it might have nothing all to do with the name. All he did say that the name alone wouldn't convince him to buy it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Agreed.

Relax Josh, Bill didn't say _why_ he had no interest in the MUWAT, it might have nothing all to do with the name. All he did say that the name alone wouldn't convince him to buy it.
He kind of did say it was because of the name unless I am not understanding him correctly.

Quote:
I don't care how fancy of a name they give the cigar it certainly won't sway me into purchasing one. However it might completely turn me off of ever buying them.

Don't take what I said the wrong way. I'm not upset or trying to start a fight. Just friendly discussion
Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I bought a MUWAT. I may even smoke the darn thing this summer. I really have no trouble with the names of the cigars I buy and/or smoke. If I smoke them and like them, I'll buy more.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Don't take what I said the wrong way. I'm not upset or trying to start a fight. Just friendly discussion
Understood.

Honestly, the biggest complaint I've heard about the MUWAT isn't the name, it's the size, 60rg, that turns people off.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Understood.

Honestly, the biggest complaint I've heard about the MUWAT isn't the name, it's the size, 60rg, that turns people off.
I can respect that, I'm not a fan of the big rg sizes either.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jiggler View Post
I avoid cigars with names like Devil's Weed, Warlock, Vudu, Ghurka's Evil or even Illusione's Illusione 2 and Crowned of Thorns because of the names. As a Christian (my hypocrisy knows no bounds), I am just uncomfortable smoking something called Evil.
Just to clarify, Dion wrote something a while back explaining his naming conventions for the illusione line. On the ~2~ he said:

"No explanation here is really needed. 2 is the son of God doing battle against evil, the enlightened one, the soul-saver, all forgiving."

So you're probably safe with ~2~... Now, ~1~ "The Dark Prince" OTOH, is another story

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I would buy a cigar named Goat Turds even if they tasted bad, simply on principle.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote