Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold
Default Gurkha Holy Grail....

i see a lot of negative stuff here about Gurkha... now i know i have not put the "time" in as a cigar smoker but i know when i find something i like. now isnt that the point? find something you like and then expand from there?

i was given 5 Gurkha Holy Grail's and i must say i truly enjoyed them. i was doing some research on them and the only place i could find them was thompson's. even there they are a bit high $149 and i know they have their auction site sometimes i find a good deal. are there any other sites that carry them? thoughts from anybody who has smoked them?
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gurkha Holy Grail....

I'd be lying if I told you anything other than most find them to be crap. But that doesn't mean a damn thing. If you like them, that's all that matters.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Robulous78

Everyone gives Gurkha a hard time...

In actuality, I have had 2 Gurkha's I have liked so far... the Spec Ops and a Micro-Batch...

I believe the reason everyone has a reservation with Gurkha's is because they have like 1000 Blends they pump out and very few of them are home runs... Some are down right horrible, most are very mild (almost flavorless)...

As for finding them elsewhere, I wouldn't know where to tell you but a good start is always CI... Hope this helps...
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
SpruceBruce
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
SpruceBruce is on a distinguished road

I thought they were pretty good too, but I made the mistake of buying them before I really discovered what I like. I find them a little too mild for my tastes now (most of the time - sometimes I get in the mood for a lighter one once in a while).

I still have a bunch if you want to trade for 'em. Toss me a pm if you want.
SpruceBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Like what you smoke...smoke what you like.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Smoke what you like
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

thats what i was going do even if its the "un-cool" thing hahaha

dont get me wrong i stil have the RyJ maddie/vintage maddi, PAN/PAM, xikar HC, a couple of TATS running around in there and a few other singles. but a couple times a week i like pulling out one of those mild Gurkha's.

thanks all
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
see a lot of negative stuff here about Gurkha...
Yeah, I have not conducted a scientific poll but they seem somewhat unpopular. Again unscientific it seems for every two I enjoy one disappoints like The Widow Maker the other night. I need to pay attention to which ones are worth my time.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Big Maduro
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
Army (Served With Honor)
Big Maduro will become famous soon enough

The double maduro isn't bad. I really like the Cellar Reserve, but they are hard to find.
Big Maduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Like what you smoke...smoke what you like.
This.

I don't like them, but they sell like hotcakes, so a lot of people certainly do.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Smoke what you like for sure applies here.
And I commend anybody who can admit they like something many here do not.
I tried several Gurkhas in my time but never enjoyed a single one.
Did I try all of them, not even close.
Not only did I not enjoy the cigars but their marketing propaganda rubs me wrong.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
This.

I don't like them, but they sell like hotcakes, so a lot of people certainly do.
Tom, quit lying. You know you love Gurkha's
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Everybody here has said smoke what you like, which is great advice. If Gurkha's are your thing, that's great, I'm glad you found a cigar you enjoy

Having said that, I know personally cigars that I thought were amazing when I first started smoking are ones I can barely stand now. I can't say if my tastes changes or developed, but either way I have a handful of partially smoked boxes that I don't like any more.

My point being if you enjoy Gurkha's, that's fantastic, just smoke through a couple of 5'ers before you commit to a box
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Some of their very first lines were pretty solid. The first Black Beauty and Beast were damn good. That figurado was always solid too. Now, they are garbage. I am talking about 8-10years ago.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You asked where to buy them, try cigarbid.com. Gurkhas are usually nearly free.
I think guys rip on Gurkha mostly because they have no pride in their product. A blend that isn't offensive at release will be downright disgusting a short while later. They're all show and no pony.
If you've grabbed some you're liking, don't be surprised if the next you get are unsmokable. If you find them at cigarbid for a buck or two a stick, it's no big loss, but don't EVER pay anything close to MSRP. The price will go to pennies on the dollar in no time if you just wait and be patient.
Hopefully you'll be able to find some more good ones, brother!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Tom, quit lying. You know you love Gurkha's
I love to watch you smoke 'em, Dan.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

Do I think Gurkha are the best out there? Of course not. Do i think they are better then PAN/PAM or RyJ or Tatuaje Not really. Yes I personally think their marketing is outrageous and cigar names are outside the box to put it mildly. Speaking of mild.... most of their cigars are mild even for my taste but I usually smoke a medium to full cigar and I don't mind the miles every once in a while.

Will any of the above mentioned stop me from trying their 125th or Grand Reserve? Not today. Thanks for yalls thoughts on the matter, I just wanted to see what was so bad about them that most people had such a severe dislike for them.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Maduro View Post
The double maduro isn't bad. I really like the Cellar Reserve, but they are hard to find.
I have some of the Cellar Reserve and they are pretty stocked at a local shop in my area, I just pass on them cause I think they are over priced good but not that good
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
ihocky2
Just in from the Storm

ihocky2 is on a distinguished road

I've found I like the Black Dragon a lot and the Titan. But I refuse to pay close to MSRP, I only wait for good deals to buy. But for every Gurkha that I like I find 4 or 5 that I don't. Even the tasty ones have burn issues, but I can live with that if I like that taste. But I am finding a lot of other brands that I like as well, so while these will stay in my humidor, their numbers will probably decrease. I tend to get them from CI, but only when they are running a good special by email or Make an Offer. I have not ventured into Cigarbid yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #20
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough

Ive only had one or two sticks. They were both marketed as powerhouses and when i sat down to enjoy them they were very mild. smoked fine construction wise but flavor wise just hay and tobacco. Not a bad smoke. but not my thing.