Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Problems with Western Caliber III Hygrometer?

I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with their Western Caliber III hygrometer? Mine doesn't seem to be holding at one point.

A little background:

I have 3 storage devices, all with Shilala HCM beads. All have the quantity of beads Scott recommends for the volume of the storage device. In my coolerdor I have an Acu-Rite Digital Hygrometer you can buy at Walmart for about $7 - $8. The coolerdor has 65% beads, and the hydro holds steady at 66%. No problem.

In my flip top mason jar that Shilala bombed me with, there are 67% beads, and a HygroSet Adjustable Digital Hygrometer that Scott calibrated and included with the bomb. It holds at 67% perfectly.

In my desk top, I've got 65% beads and a Western Caliber III hygrometer. When I calibrated the hygrometer doing the salt test, it came in at 62%, and I marked it with a "-3" so I would remember it was 3 percent low. Recently it had been reading 59%, and I assumed I needed to put some moisture back in the humi, so I put some distilled water in one of those black plastic dealies with the green foam inside, and put it in my humi. The hygrometer crept up to 60%, and then dropped back to 59%. Of course this made no sense as I put more moisture in the humi. So I took the HygroSet that I got from Shilala and put it in the humi. After a couple hours it was steady on 65%, just like it should have been since I have 65% beads in there.

So I can only assume that my Western Caliber III is no good since it 1) won't hold at it's normal deviation from the 75% salt test, and 2) dropped back to 59% even though I had added more moisture to the humi.

Do any of you have suggestions or thoughts? Is this Western Caliber III junk? Thanks for your help!