Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Partagas Black Maximo

The cigar: Partagas Black Maximo

Nutritional information
Vitola: 6x50 toro
Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Connecticut broadleaf
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Nicaragua, Dominican Republic

Humidor time: 8 months

The marketing:
From JR: The Partagas Black is the same in namesake, and well-made in the same factory, but that is where the similarities end. Wrapped in a unique "medio tiempo" sun-grown Havana-seed leaf from the Connecticut River Valley, this is a very robust blend of Nicaraguan and Piloto Cubano ligeros. Flavors of earth, dark chocolate, and dark roasted espresso will overwhelm your senses - this is not a cigar for the timid.

From CI: An attractive sun-grown beauty unlike any other Partagas blends. Partagas Black is an enticing full-bodied cigar, full and rich. Its gorgeous, oily, medio tiempo sun-grown wrappers and large rings (54-60) are the perfect vehicles to deliver the powerful blend of Nicaraguan and Cuban-seed ligero fillers. Excellent construction, a gentle draw, and rich, robust character make this a bold and enticing cigar.

Prelight: On first impression, everything about this cigar says "power." It's a hefty SOB of a toro, one that seems bigger than its 6x50 dimensions. The tube is big. The wrapper is a thick, leathery, jet black, sun grown medio tiempo Connecticut broadleaf wrapper. The foot gave off notes of cedar and spice. I expected a full, peppery ride.

As it turned out, this cigar was quite a bit mellower than I'd expected. Maybe the girth diminishes the influence of the wrapper. Maybe the tubo mellows it. Maybe it aged at the retailer before it reached my humi, where it's been resting for 8 mos.

Construction/Burn: This was a beautifully made cigar. Yes, the thick broadleaf wrapper is tough looking, but it was well-wrapped, solid, and packed full. The draw was excellent and the burn perfect all the way to the nub. The ash was firm, light gray in color. (I'll note here that the tubo kept this cigar well humidified, even though it spent several days out of my humidor before I smoked it.) It burned quite slowly, lasting nearly 2 hrs even though I wasn't trying to nurse it.

Flavor: There wasn't a whole lot of action over those 2 hours. The flavor was full, predominantly dark tobacco and a good bit of cedar. A little pepper upon lighting, but not much thereafter. Occasionally I caught a hint of some dark flavors like chocolate, but it was pretty consistent and steady down through the nub. I'll admit that while the flavor was good, it did get a little boring; my palate grew tired of the same flavor.

I've got the rest of a box tucked away, and I'll certainly revisit them and likely enjoy them, but I don't see myself running out to buy more.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: Partagas Black Maximo

love these sticks!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

This one is my favorite of the Black series!!!

Sorry it didn't meet your expectation!!!

Thanks for the honest review!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
This one is my favorite of the Black series!!!
Mine too
Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Killjoy

First ever box of cigars I ever bought were A box of these..i need to go back and revist them.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

I'm going to have to smoke my way through the rest of the box and see how they develop.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

Love me some Partagas Black.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I still have half a box somewhere, don't smoke them too much except for the Pronto size, a good 20 minute smoke. I find I like them a lot better as a first cigar, they have a wierd bland taste if it's my second or later cigar of the day.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote