Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-25-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Don Lino Africa duma

I think it was Conch who gave me this 5 x 50 Don Lino Africa Duma, but I could be mistaken, I’ve been bombed way too much in my 9 months that I’ve been on club stogie and the cigar asylum. The cigar is nice and the wrapper is dark and has quite some veins, a flashy colorful band and the designer looked good at African art when designing this band. The predraw is fine and leaves a sweet flavor in my mouth.

This is a full flavored cigar; straight from the start I can taste a sweet, slightly bitter cacao with some coffee. After a centimeter the cigar becomes peppery with chocolate on the background. The pepper fades away quickly and is replaced by woody flavors with still the chocolate on the background. The pepper makes a return for a while and disappears after 2/3rd when the cigar produces flavors of wood, coffee and some sweet chocolate on the background. The finale is wood, coffee and pepper.

I get a lot of smoke from this cigar; the ash has both dark and light spots. The draw is fine, but the burn is somewhat crooked. I would rate this cigar as full flavored medium bodied with a hint of vitamin n.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yeah, probably as they are not expensive at all

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 01-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Don Lino Africa duma

Thanks for the review. I really like these cigars - they have a certain yummy tang to them.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice review! I really like these cigars.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Nice review.
When the Don Lino's are on they are great.
I have had a couple though that had bad, crooked burn issues.
Now might be a good time to get a few. I've seen them at a B&M , and a couple online sellers on close-out.
Are they being discontinued??
Old 01-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
totallytentative

Thanks for the review! I have a 5-er of these exact cigars lying in wait but haven't gotten around to try one yet. They sound really nice.

I'm glad to hear these only have a "hint of vitamin N".... for some reason I was expecting these to have "a lot of vitamin N"? I've seen some reviews of people saying these were "strong".....

They don't appear to be on closeout at Atlantic (where I got my Duma 5 pack - $17) or at Famous. Hopefully it's just some retailers not carrying them anymore or something.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review and pictures.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Bao sent me one of these a few months back and I thought it was a pretty nice smoke.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I think it was Conch who gave me this 5 x 50 Don Lino Africa Duma, but I could be mistaken
Thanks for the review and photos Ferdinand. What other smoke would you compare the Don Lino Africa Duma to?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
KazzTheMurse

I had a don lino africa yesterday (torpedo however). It didn't blow me away, but it was a good smoke and burned well. I got the same sweetness from the prelight draw that you did. It was a lot lighter in flavor and strength after the light than it looked when I picked it up while I was working.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Nice review.

I agree and only wish the pepper would have stayed a bit longer. It wasn't an over powering flavor and actually complemented the slight sweetness nicely.

Not a bad smoke and for the prices you can pick these up around town, they are a real bargin.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

I have smoked a lot of these and I think these smokes are a great value, but I have had consistency problems with them. A good one is tough to beat since they can be had pretty cheap on cbid and on other sales. Bonus points for the awesome boxes they come in.

I have also heard that they will be discontinued, but do know know if it is true or rumored.

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote