Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #61
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Official College Hoops 2012-2013!!!!!!

My Heels finished off their final exams break, then finished off East Tennessee State Saturday, in what was no test at all. They were up 42-12 at the half, then cruised to a 78-55 final. Nothing especially shocking here, but this stat was . . . even to an old Heel like me. UNC had 31 baskets in the game, and 30 assists. The sole hoop that wasn't off a key pass came on a stickback after a blown dunk.

Damn, that's some team ball there.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #62
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

It has become rather too common for schools to leave their old conferences for greener fields, but now it seems a conference may be leaving its schools. The Big East was founded as a baskteball conference, and those members who competed (or tried to compete anyway) in football have felt they got short shrift in the matter. It's been a long time since BC and Miami left for the ACC in an attempt to rectify this slight, and Syracuse, Pitt, and Notre Dame are soon to follow in their footsteps. Well, with the Big East bringing in MORE football schools in an attempt to redress this imbalance, it is now the basketball schools who are feeing dissed.

Original members Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova, plus newer members DePaul and Marquette, none of which either do or wish to play D1 football, are contemplating a vote to DISSOLVE THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE COMPLETELY! They feel that the true focus of the Big East is being diluted, and they question whether or not they wish to remain a part of this. As the schools leaving get no vote, and the newest schools being added yet possess the right to vote, these seven alone constitute the needed 2/3rds majority necessary to break up the Big East.

Is this about money, or principles, or simple spite? I dunno, but it does leave the OTHER Big East teams hoping they receive offers from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC . . . SOMEBODY, PLEASE!!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #63
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Carolina spoils Jeff Lebo's homecoming to Chapel Hill by holding on to defeat the scrappy East Carolina Pirates 93-87. The Heels built a comfortable double-digit lead by the half, but a late flurry of scores cut the margin to 4 with 30 seconds left. The win lifts UNC to 8-2, and drops EeeSeeTeeCee to 6-2.

Those Pirates are a tough and well-coached squad (as you'd expect from one of Dean Smith's students), and will give others problems for the rest of the season. Best of luck to them, and to Jeff.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #64
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Well that sucked.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #65
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whee View Post
Well that sucked.
I assume you mean the Hoosiers getting hosed by Butler's Bulldogs. Hey, you don't come to play, you go home with a loss.

Did you really think they'd go 40-0?

Console yourself with the fact that, not all that long ago, IU couldn't BUY a ranking, even with UK money.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #66
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I assume you mean the Hoosiers getting hosed by Butler's Bulldogs. Hey, you don't come to play, you go home with a loss.

Did you really think they'd go 40-0?

Console yourself with the fact that, not all that long ago, IU couldn't BUY a ranking, even with UK money.
Man speaks the truth.

Sorry I vanished. Only will be back for a few days.

UK should stay unranked for now. If they beat UL, I say rank them 20-25 at best. Still don't deserve anything better. Pretty frustrating team to watch right now. Even when they beat some shitty team by almost 40, they still don't "look" good.

IU will be fine, still don't think they will win the championship, but who knows. Pretty weak year.

I need to watch more basketball.

And damn does the SEC suck this year or what? Pathetic.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #67
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
And damn does the SEC suck this year or what? Pathetic.

Maybe you should add some of those basketball schools what just broke up the Big East. I mean, it works to strengthen hoops in the SEC, where they ALSO don't play football, right?

Sorry, I meant "don't play it at Kentucky".
Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #68
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Twelve of the Top 25 are in action tonight, though none in head-to-head action. Still, there's a few shots at "upsets", like with Xavier/Cincy, Tulsa/Creighton, and UNC/Texas.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #69
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

UK wins BIG today!!! I'll be glad when they get to the SEC schedule and quit playing stocking stuffers. They still are not playing well together yet.

My MSU Racers took loss #2 on the chin today, being beaten by a good Dayton Flyers team. They have a great home crowd, and props to 'em. We play Valporaiso next weekend before hitting the OVC schedule.

Watching a good Missou vs Illini game right now. The Tigers are going to be fun to see in the SEC.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #70
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Watching a good Missou vs Illini game right now. The Tigers are going to be fun to see in the SEC.
A true "bragging rights" game in this part of the world. I'm a Mizzou alum living in Illini country. A big win . . . will make it more fun at work.

Sure hope the Tigers do better against the SEC than they did in football. A bit worried about that away game at UK.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #71
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

I wouldn't worry just yet. The Tigers looked a whole lot better in that game than what I'm seeing in my Cats, so far. The Cats have already shown that they are beatable at home, for this team.

UK UL up next!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #72
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Well, 2 losses in a row for my Racers, and we did not defend home court against a non-com Valparaiso.

UK-UL game was MUCH tighter than I thought it would be. The Cats finally begin to have a team look about them, and played a much improved game,especially in H2.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #73
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

While your Racers and 'Cats were falling, Joe, my Heels finally got a good win over a ranked team. The # 20 Runnin' Rebels fought back from a double-digit deficit to take a one-point lead halfway through the 2nd, but UNC regained the edge and held on for a 79-73 win . . . to make up somewhat for their early-season loss LAST year to UNLV on a "neutral" court in Vegas.

Roy said his boys at last played a decent game. Don't know if these youngsters have turned the corner or not, but I'll take every W we can get this year.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #74
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Big Ten season kicks off today. Gonna be a tough, long season.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #75
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Just watched KU slap the Longhorns goodbye on the rump- now that's the kind of collapse I've come to expect from Rick's teams.

Missed the SEC matchup of the day, and really expected a closer match from Mizzou. I have not watched the Gators at all; are they that good?

Watching UL take over 'Cuse, after a slow start, but lots of game left.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #76
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Well, this poor thread is in as bad a shape as a team that has just been given the 1 spot in the polls this season. Any of you guys remember the last time #1 was such a carousel?
Got back to the house from the Murray State/Tennessee State game to see H2 and OT bonanza that was UL vs ND. Wow!

Miami #1 on Monday???
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #77
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

It has indeed been one of the strangest years in college hoops in decades. The last I can recall that even came close to this insanity was 1983. That was the year after NC won Dean's first ring, and began the preseason #1. Starting off 3-3, they fell out of the Top 25 altogether, then managed (with a lot of help from others, of course) to regain the top spot before the end of the season. NC also managed to win the championship that year . . . even though it was Valvano's Cardiac Kids of NCSU.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #78
dman4505
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Don
Trading: (4)
Navy (Served With Honor)
dman4505 will become famous soon enough

Can't believe they're still #1 in the AP but I'll take it go Hoosiers

AP Poll:

1 Indiana
2 Duke
3 Miami (FL)
4 Michigan
5 Gonzaga
6 Syracuse
7 Florida
8 Michigan State
9 Arizona
10 Kansas State

Coaches Poll:

1 Duke
2 Indiana
3 Gonzaga
4 Miami (FL)
5 Michigan
6 Florida
7 Syracuse
8 Michigan State
9 Arizona
10 Butler
Old 02-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #79
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman4505 View Post
Can't believe they're still #1 in the AP but I'll take it go Hoosiers

Good for them. It used to be that this and a nickel would get you a cup of coffee. Now, it's this and three bucks.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #80
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Are you and your boys ready for another whoopin Thomas?

Listening to this to get myself ready for game time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH98EBwDkTM

DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote