Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #41
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Official College Hoops 2012-2013!!!!!!

Whoa. Kentucky's 54-game winning streak at Rupp Arena comes to a screeching halt this afternoon, as Baylor takes them down 64-55, for their 2nd loss inna row, and their 3rd of 7 games.

I guess Dook is STILL flopping on them.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #42
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I guess Dook is STILL flopping on them.
I'll call the flop!!!

Cal, and we, the UK Faithful, are now receiving the not-so-fantastic benefits of recruiting highly tauted high school one-and-doners; they may be fantastic, but they may not come together as a team. This is not much of a team, yet. Been a while since UK lost 2 in a row, too. As bad as the Irish loss was, this Baylor game was horrible to watch. Hope there were no recruiting violations to get this class. It's going to be interesting to see how well Cal will be able to coach these freshmen up by tourney time.

Worked on a duck blind yesterday, so I didn't see much ball, except for the SEC Fball championship last night-great game. I DID note that Baylor's football team complimented the UK win with a win over OK State, a ranked opponent.

Finally, a pox on dook!!!
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #43
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

MCS
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #44
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
It's going to be interesting to see how well Cal will be able to coach these freshmen up by tourney time.
There's every reason to believe Cal might be able to turn them around, eventually. There is also reason for the 'Cat fans to fear the worst. Lemme espound:

I cannot help but think of UNC's 1983 season, the year after Dean Smith finally won his first championship. The Heels came into the pre-season ranked #1, despite the fact they'd lost PF James Worthy and PG Jimmy Black from that team. They lost three of their first 6 games, and fell from #1 all the way out of the Top 25. But they did gel into a very good team, regaining that #1 spot again in about 2 months, and finished with a highly-respectable 28-8 record.

Of course, THAT team had future NBA players Sam Perkins and Brad Daugherty, future coaches Matt Doherty, Buzz Peterson, and Steve Hale, some guy named Jordan, and a coach named Smith. UK doesn't have anything like that.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #45
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The college basketball community lost legendary coach (and jovial trencherman) Rick Majerus on Saturday night. He got his start in coaching as an assistant under the equally-cheerful Al McGuire at Marquette. In 25 seasons as a head coach at Marquette, Ball State, Utah, and Saint Louis he had a winning season in all but one of those, with 15 20-win and 2 30-win, led teams to the NCAA 12 times and the NIT 4 times, and finished his career with a most-respectable 517-216 record.

One thing you probably do not know about Rick, as it was pretty much an "inside, under-the-radar" story. When Dean Smith retired at UNC, leaving the reins in Bill Guthridge's hands as interim head coach (in reward for decades as assistant and to allow a search committe ample time to acquire a suitable long-term candidate), he lobbied strongly for Carolina to hire Rick Majerus. But somebody else, who should NOT have had more sway but DID with said committe, convinced them to hire his old teammate instead . . . which is how Michael Jordan pulled a backdoor on Dean and got Matt Doherty the job.

Rest in peace, Rick.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #46
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

I'm in hiding. I will come back out of my room in January.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #47
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
I'm in hiding. I will come back out of my room in January.
What year?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #48
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

I'm not going anywhere. I have missed back to back UK games for the first time I can remember. Life is crazy. Maybe thats why UK lost the last two games? Its all my fault.

I'm having sports withdrawal. Haven't been able to watch much of anything lately.

UK has an easy stretch. Perfect time to figure a few things out and get some confidence. Half the team deleted their twitter accounts. I'm sure they were hearing some not so nice things from the crazies. Lord knows there are plenty.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #49
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
:Half the team deleted their twitter accounts. I'm sure they were hearing some not so nice things from the crazies. Lord knows there are plenty.
That's funny to me. Last year a number of coaches banned Twitter for their entire team, fearing it would only lead to problems, and were praised for their foresight and decisiveness. The prevoius year, Roy Williams had banned the Heels from keeping Twitter accounts, and was loudly derided for being paranoid and overly controlling.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #50
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

College athletes and fans on twitter is just a bad idea. Hell twitter is a bad idea. People can't control themselves
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #51
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

If I was a coach, I would ban twitter during the season too. But maybe I'm biased because I don't and will never have a twitter account.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #52
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

You can't spell Twitter without "Twit".
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #53
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post

MCS
This is why I love you, MCS. You are the wind beneath my wings.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #54
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

Get another room for your circle jerk you two.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #55
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Get another room for your circle jerk you two.

Poll came out today. Something was missing. Hmmmmm, I wonder what it was...
Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #56
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

A team that doesn't deserve to be there. Talk to me January first. if they aren't ranked by then again, then I will worry
Old 12-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #57
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Did not know that about Majerus and UNC, Poet. I knew he was in bad shape, but did not realize he was beyond medical help. I was a fan, and enjoyed seeing him work his stuff at St. Louis when they hired him. He definitely loved the game and his students.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #58
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Did not know that about Majerus and UNC, Poet. I knew he was in bad shape, but did not realize he was beyond medical help. I was a fan, and enjoyed seeing him work his stuff at St. Louis when they hired him. He definitely loved the game and his students.
I wouldn't expect many to know that story, Joe, though some may have known what friends Dean and Rick had been. Fact is, though Dean loved Matt Doherty and Michael Jordan, as he did all his players, this diss p!$$ed him off so much that, before the first game of the season Coach Smith visited the lockerroom to wish good luck . . . to the opponent, Winthrop.

Funny coincidence here. While googling for that game to confirm the opponent, I saw that Matt Doherty confessed he made some early errors that doomed him at his alma mater in a radio interview a few days ago. One of them I could have told him at the time. Coming in as a replacement for a loved legend, he already had one strike against him. His second, before he even held his first practice, was to bring his coaching staff with him from Notre Dame, which meant firing the assistants already in place . . . which included Phil Ford. You don't start a job by firing a guy who's jersey is hanging in the rafters! Strike two!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #59
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Man, I just love how crazy college hoops can be. Last week the Baylor Bears got a huge victory by beating the Wildcats in Rupp Arena, snapping a 54-game W streak. Last night the Bears lost to the Wildcats, of Northwestern, on their home court in Waco.

You'd think you couldn't make this stuff up, but it happens alla time.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #60
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

15th-ranked Georgetown crushes Towson 46-40.

I guess "Hoyas" stands for "Hell-O? You! Anybody! Score!!"