Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Steelergar

Default 5 Vegas Miami Torpedo

5 Vegas Miami Torpedo

B]SIZE="3"]Cigar Stats[/SIZE][/b]
[SIZE="2"]Brand Owner: Cigar International
Factory: Tabacalera Cubana
Vitola: Torpedo
Size: 52x6.1
Wrapper: Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan/Dominican Cuban Seed[/size]

Other Vitolas Available
Churchill (7.0" x 48)

Knuckle (4.5" x 60)

Petite Corona (4.5" x 44)

Robusto (5.0" x 50)

Shaggy Toro (6.0" x 52)

Toro (6.0" x 48)

[size="3"]Background[/SIZE]

The 5 Vegas brand (supposedly pronounced “Cinco Vegas”) has an interesting history even though it hasn’t been around very long. It was created in the boom years by World Cigars, Inc., and produced by Kiki Berger in Esteli, Nicaragua. The name evidently came from a story about 5 tobacco growers who came together to produce a single blend. But like many of the Boom cigars it did not survive into the 21st century. Keith Meier of Cigars International bought up the rest of the 5 Vegas inventory and scooped up the trademark while he was at it. 5 Vegas Miami first emerged in ealry 2007 out of a visit by Keith Meier to Pepin Garcia's El Rey De la Habanos factory in Miami.

a liitle info from their website:

5 Vegas Miami represents the most elusive blend in the celebrated portfolio of 5 Vegas. Carefully handcrafted with a blend of 1st generation Cuban-seed Nicaraguan long-leaf tobaccos that have been patiently aged and expertly fermented, the Miami caters to the most discerning of palates.

The Companion

The Smoking Experience

This cigar exhibits excellent construction and has a smooth wrapper dark brown wrapper with a few veiny spots. The pre light draw was a little on the tight side but did not seem like it would hamper the smoke. It has a spicy earthy smell to it and it was a bit on the soft side overall with a few soft spots.

It started up fairly easy and a good aroma came right off the start with a blast of pepper and woodsy. The begining flavor is woody, nutty with a earthy undertone. It burns cool with a salt and pepper colored ash. The draw was still a tad bit on the tight side effecting the amount of smoke I was able to draw and which is grey colored. The aroma is earthy remiding a bit of a Padron. It has a nice even slow burn and I would say Med/Full bodied.

I first ashed just before the halfway point. At this time I notice some subtle nutty and cocoa flavor and the earthy undertone has changed to leather and turns into full bodied toward the finish.

Final Thought

This is a very good smoke and while the draw was a little tight it did not prevent me from nubbing it. The draw losened up as I passed the soft spots. I loved the combination of flavors and the way they swithched up. I could almost swear I was smoking a Padron in the first half before the flavors switched. Anybody that likes earthy spicy cigars or the Pepin blue and black labels should like these as well.

MSRP:
Just over $7.00 a cigar on the CI website but I got mine on a 5 pack sampler special they have this month for just over $4.00 a cigar.

Like it: Yes
Recommend it: Yes for the reasons above
Buy it Again: you bet, especially for the price I got them at
Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 5 Vegas Miami Torpedo

I love that cigar. It is one of my favorite Pepin blends. Everytime I smoke one of them I am amazed at the sweetness that develops once the cigar opens up. I always swear I taste the faint sweetness of a grape. One of these days I'm going to put my finger on what that taste actually is.

Great review on a great smoke.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Steelergar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
I love that cigar. It is one of my favorite Pepin blends. Everytime I smoke one of them I am amazed at the sweetness that develops once the cigar opens up. I always swear I taste the faint sweetness of a grape. One of these days I'm going to put my finger on what that taste actually is.

Great review on a great smoke.
I will look for that next time I smoke one. I think I know what your talking about too, there is something like that in the begining.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Awesome review. Thanks for taking the time to post!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
auburnfan1980

This is one of my absolute favorite go-to "economy" smokes. Great review!

Jason
Old 01-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Nice review. These are good cigars, and you can pick them up at a good price on C-Bid, if you watch for them.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote