Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough
Default Cigar burning issue

Ok all... When you read this, keep in mind that I consider myself as a newb!

Since the weather in NW Ohio has been too cold to smoke outside, I've been going to my local B&M quite a bit to smoke, and have been sampling a wide variety of their smokes. Over the past couple of weeks, each cigar that I've had there seems to be burning inside and leaving the wrapper intact. I gently use my lighter to toast the wrapper where it's shrunken around the burning inside, and the cigar takes off again. Am I doing something wrong? Drawing too fast or too slow? I've tried numerous different types of cigars, and they have all had the same trouble. I don't know if the cut matters, but I've been using a punch rather than a straight cut.

Any ideas? I appreciate the help!

Nick
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigar burning issue

This is called tunneling and is an indication of over humidification.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
This is called tunneling and is an indication of over humidification.
To elaborate further, many B&Ms keep their humidity higher than recommended in order to compensate for the humidity that is lost every time a customer opens the door. The result is that sometimes their cigars are overhumidified.
Posted via Mobile Device
jesseboston81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

Bolivar

I was wondering if humidity was the issue here. Is there anything that I can do to remedy this when I smoke their cigars while I'm there?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

you can dry box the smokes if you buy them and take them home.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
you can dry box the smokes if you buy them and take them home.
Take the ones home that you buy and bring back the ones you bought last trip to smoke. This should not be a problem as you are still smoking their cigars. Also, many shops do not mind you bringing your own cigars as long as you purchase something. Its best to ask the shop owner if this is permitted.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
liltim
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Partagas MarineCorps (Disabled Vet)
liltim is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if punching will cause this effect. I have wondered it a bit myself. I used to punch most of my cigars but have switched to cutting for fear of the same effect. Most of the cigars I smoke have been sitting in my humidor for at least a month. The humidity is kept between 68 and 70%.
liltim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltim View Post
I'm not sure if punching will cause this effect. I have wondered it a bit myself. I used to punch most of my cigars but have switched to cutting for fear of the same effect. Most of the cigars I smoke have been sitting in my humidor for at least a month. The humidity is kept between 68 and 70%.
From my experience, no, a punch cut, in and of itself, won't cause the tunneling the OP describes, but the over-humidification that Bob described will.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Dr Voss

I go about 50/50 between a punch and cutter and can't say that I have seen any difference in tunneling. I mainly find the difference to be in draw, which makes perfect sense. I have a punch on my torch and like the convenience but I do tend to prefer a cut cigar.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
JPH
Ted Peffer

Trading: (0)
JPH is on a distinguished road

I have not had a cigar do that to me for probably 5 years... And I'm sure not every cigar I smoke is perfectly humidified... So that makes me think maybe it does have to do with smoking speed/style or maybe fatter rg cigars are more prone? I'm smoking mostly corona size nowadays... Just food for thought, it may be multifactorial...
JPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Simple temperature difference can also cause this(as humidity is relative to temperature). Most places have gotten cooler(even inside) by now. Its cheaper to run the heat lower so the lounge may be a slight bit cooler than the humidor itself, and that difference in temperature can cause the humidity within the cigar to skyrocket(some water vapor may actually be condensing on the wrapper acting as a fire retardant). I typically expect to have a lot of burn issues when I smoke outside and its below 60 for the same reason.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Take the ones home that you buy and bring back the ones you bought last trip to smoke. This should not be a problem as you are still smoking their cigars. Also, many shops do not mind you bringing your own cigars as long as you purchase something. Its best to ask the shop owner if this is permitted.
Sounds logical.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
I have not had a cigar do that to me for probably 5 years... And I'm sure not every cigar I smoke is perfectly humidified... So that makes me think maybe it does have to do with smoking speed/style or maybe fatter rg cigars are more prone? I'm smoking mostly corona size nowadays... Just food for thought, it may be multifactorial...
Multi-factorial? You must be an engineer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Simple temperature difference can also cause this(as humidity is relative to temperature). Most places have gotten cooler(even inside) by now. Its cheaper to run the heat lower so the lounge may be a slight bit cooler than the humidor itself, and that difference in temperature can cause the humidity within the cigar to skyrocket(some water vapor may actually be condensing on the wrapper acting as a fire retardant). I typically expect to have a lot of burn issues when I smoke outside and its below 60 for the same reason.
I hadn't thought about that fact. Their humidor appears to be at "normal" room temperature, but the smoking areas are fairly chilly. They have an exhaust fan that sucks the smoke out, and it brings in cooler outside air. Maybe that could be a factor, too.

My other thought is an interaction between 1) larger RG smokes that I gravitate towards, 2) punching the cigar that only draws air from the center, and 3) my tendency to smoke a cigar fairly slow. Maybe I'll try to change back to a straight cut to see if that affects anything.

My excuse to smoke more cigars!