Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #181
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: (Official?) Pocket Knife Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I think I just turned green with envy! Will trade photo lessons for knives
I Think You Would Lose There, Brother! I Think I'm A Hopeless Case In The Photography Dept.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #182
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I can teach anyone. Give me a weekend. Im not a classroom teacher im a real world teacher we'll go on a weekend expedition to a park and Ill learn you real good.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #183
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Does anyone here own a Mad Dog Taiho (the original 9" model)? They're discontinued now as I understand it, and newer models are out.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #184
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I can teach anyone. Give me a weekend. Im not a classroom teacher im a real world teacher we'll go on a weekend expedition to a park and Ill learn you real good.
I'm in......assuming your talking about educating me on knives...
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #185
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Anyone have recommendations for a decent Punch Knife? My daughter wants to get her Marine husband one for Xmas.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #186
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If looks is the final factor thats up to you. But for less money you get a better blade steel CPM S30V opposed to the 154CM of the Protec. Im sure you'll be happy either way
You know I have been thinking about this and I really like the 154cm much better than any of the sv variants. I have one knife that is sv20 and another that is the 30. Both are hard as hell to get sharp and I would say don't hold an edge any better than the 154, which is just a little harder to sharpen than 440.

I got the Monaco and really like it. The only thing that bugs me is that the bolster black is different than the blade black, but I think that is due to the steel vs. aluminum. Will post up a picture is a bit.

-M
Old 12-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #187
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
You Were Smart, Bill! I Can't Seem To Part With Mine.
IMO there is only 2 knives you NEED. A Hinderer XM-18 and a Strider SMF. Call it the beauty and the beast. However Knife buying is like cigar buying....none of us NEED half of what we have but we all justify it. I still will hunt for that elusive retardedly expensive XM-18. They are fantastic knives and if you can score them for $380-$415 or so it's a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Anyone have recommendations for a decent Punch Knife? My daughter wants to get her Marine husband one for Xmas.
Yes, I bought my brother a Benchmade punch knife, they are fantastic. Paracord wrap the handle and it's a great knife. There aren't too many punch knives out there, you could look at cold steel but there over the top marketing has me not buying their knives. More recently I gifted him a Microtech UTX-85. So far both knives are .

Of course these are just my opinions and everyone else might not have the same opinion. Knives are definitely a preference.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #188
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

I figured since everyone is getting all fancy about their photography skills I ought to step up my game(seeing as how I call myself a professional and all that)

These are my three favorite fancy knives.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #189
Whynot
Living the dream...

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (11)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
Whynot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not really a punch knife, but I listed this several pages back. I have a couple and they have served me well on several deployments. http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php
Old 12-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #190
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Now that you mention HAKs....I think also a nice waved knife would be a good gift. Anything from Emerson, I also like the Tarani Karambit. I'm about to send mine out to get waved I'll post up a picture in a month or so. Basically you just pull the knife out of your pocket and it's blade is deployed in that one swift motion.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #191
cigars_n_scotch

How many of you who daily carry a knife work in a white collar job? Or maybe the question is do any of you who are white collar workers carry a knife? The reason I ask is because I like knives but I find it hard to justify carrying one daily because of my job and the type of work that I do (there's really no need for one on a daily basis) I wear either a suit to work (if I'm meeting with clients) or slacks/khaki's and a button-down dress shirt. Most of the time I just leave it in my truck.

Sometimes I wish I did something more casual, but this pays the bills...
Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #192
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigars_n_scotch View Post
How many of you who daily carry a knife work in a white collar job? Or maybe the question is do any of you who are white collar workers carry a knife? The reason I ask is because I like knives but I find it hard to justify carrying one daily because of my job and the type of work that I do (there's really no need for one on a daily basis) I wear either a suit to work (if I'm meeting with clients) or slacks/khaki's and a button-down dress shirt. Most of the time I just leave it in my truck.

Sometimes I wish I did something more casual, but this pays the bills...
I Carry One To Work Maybe 1/2 The Time To Open Boxes, Etc. I Always Carry A "Cheaper" Knife In Case I Lose It.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #193
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

If you work in a white collar job just keep a nice folder with you. I use my knives to open packages and letters mostly. I don't work white collar jobs but no one is going to frown on you for carrying a knife. Get a nice CRK and people will find it quite classy. You can always remove the pocket clip and let a knife sit in your pockets. Attaching a paracord lanyard helps but it kinda loses the gentleman effect. I always have at least one knife on me, sometimes two.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #194
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Might want to check out Tops. I have a couple of their knives and they work great here is one http://www.topsknives.com/product_in...products_id=78 .
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #195
nomadicwookie
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
nomadicwookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
Not really a punch knife, but I listed this several pages back. I have a couple and they have served me well on several deployments. http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php
Be cautious of hideawayknife.com. Front Sight has developed a very bad reputation with customers and virtually every knife maker they have collaborated with. I would recommend trying to find one on the secondary market. Just my
nomadicwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #196
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Im by no means a white collar guy, however, my father worked his way up through the banking ladder from delivery boy in 1950 to Sr VP in 2009. He always had a nice folder in his pocket. In my case I refer to this style as a Church knife. The picture attached would be a nice option with a good combination of form and function. (click the picture to go to the website for price)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #197
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post

These are my three favorite fancy knives.
I still call dibbs if that Kestrel comes up for sale.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #198
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

PL

Quote:
I still call dibbs if that Kestrel comes up for sale.
If I ever sell it, I will talk to you first.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #199
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

Im not a huge knife guy but I do love me some Balisongs!

Christmas gift from my buddy (Benchmade 51 Morpho)

And the small but ready to grow collection
t2b
BM 51 Morpho, Bradley Kimura II, Bradley Kimura VII, Bradley Mayhem titanium

From what I understand the Bradley's are all made by other knife companys under the Bradley name, The Kimuras are made by Kershaw and the Mayhem by Benchmade.

~Kyle
Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #200
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Nice balisongs I've always wanted to try flipping one of those....someday.