Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
apNgb

Default Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo

The Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo was released at the 2009 IPCPR Trade Show in New Orleans. LA. Building on the popularity of the regular Antano line of cigars, the Dark Corojo sports a very dark Corojo wrapper that is grown in the Jallapa Valley of Nicaragua. The tobaccos inside the Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo are aged for 3 years and consists of all Nicaraguan Tobacco. The Dark Corojo is said to be the strongest cigar that Joya de Nicaragua manufactures and is meant for the Full-Bodied cigar smoker.

Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Made In: Nicaragua
Size: El Martillo – 5.5×54
Price: $38.75 per 5 pack or $131.75 per box of 20 from Smoke Inn

Appearance & Construction: The Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo is one big dark log of a cigar. This cigar is packed full of tobacco and is solid from head to foot. The wrapper has a nice oily sheen to it and there are some medium sized veins and one larger vein on the wrapper. The boys at Joya de Nicaragua did a nice job of the bands on the Antano Dark Corojo. A gorgeous black and gold primary band grace the cigar, along with a nice looking foot band that came off very nice and is always appreciated.

Burning Characteristics: The Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo has a decent draw to it. The burn is completely off on this cigar and required multiple touch ups along the way. The ash is solid and compact and only has minor flowering that proved to be a nonissue.

Flavor: Wow, the Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo starts with a major pepper blast that got the back of my throat a little dry. There is also nice dark fruit sweetness there along with some coffee notes. As the second third comes and goes there is still that nice dark fruity sweetness along with the coffee, but the pepper has backed down some and is really quite enjoyable. The body of the JDN Antano Dark Corojo is ultra-full bodied and the strength is definitely full bodied.

Final Thoughts: Man, the Antano Dark Corojo kicked my ass in the strength department and I loved it. This cigar is defiantly a nice night cap from a stressful day on the job. The cigar is very rich, very flavorful and is one of the better ultra full bodied cigars I have had in a while. This cigar is no chump, it is in your flat out, in your face with bold flavor and strength.

Cigar Rating: Above Average/ Great