Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 03-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Best golf balls?

Let's hear from the golfers?
Old 03-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best golf balls?

Callaway Supersoft:http://www.amazon.com/Callaway-Super.../dp/B00GLL98Y6
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

I prefer free. I pick up whatever I find in the woods.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

It depends, if you are a bad guy you use, Slazenger.

If you are the good guy you use, Penfold Heart.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

He's got good balls,
And she's got good balls,
But we have the bestest balls of them all.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I like the fuchsia colored ones at the miniature golf course. They bounce better.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #7
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Though I can't hit them, would assume Titliest ProV 1's have to be in the conversation.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #8
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I'm a Bridgestone E6 guy, they're the best balls for me!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:11 AM   #9
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Based on my recent Eebaay sales, ProV1 are by far the choice, closely followed by NXTs.
Best is subjective. It mirrors the cigar hobby. What works for you today may change in a month or year. To paraphrase, play what you like, like what you play.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:23 AM   #10
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Based on my recent Eebaay sales, ProV1 are by far the choice, closely followed by NXTs.
Best is subjective. It mirrors the cigar hobby. What works for you today may change in a month or year. To paraphrase, play what you like, like what you play.
After taking lessons and speaking with several course pros and carrying score cards for the seniors when they played at the brickyard here and speaking to them about their collective balls. Their consensus was/is balls are a choice of like or desire. Get the swing right then find clubs to match and lastly pick your balls.

After all of that the ones that work best for me are the free ones. I like the feel of Titelist till I cut the covers and have to buy new ones. Rock Flight/top flite really help reduce my slice because they are so hard you cant put a spin on them.

Last edited by dijit; 03-22-2015 at 04:28 AM.
dijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #11
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Nike Mojos for me, the ball just works well for my swing.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #12
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Titleist Balata 90.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #13
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Noodle!

Or Bridgsetones
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
coach
Hiding in Klug"s Humi

Trading: (3)
HUpmann
coach will become famous soon enough

Really depends on your play. If you have a Low HCP then Pro V's or Callaway Tour or a soft cover ball would do you well. If you are Mid HCP then a two or three piece ball with a soft cut-proof cover and solid center like NXT, Mojo. If you have a HIGH HCP then a Low Compression ball would be best along with 2 piece construction, Noodle or Lady Bridgestones are the best. For me I usually play Callaway Hot Shots and NXT's and I have a 19 HCP.

IMO you really don't heed to drop $45+ on a dz of balls unless you play the game 3-4x's a week and have good control of your game. I also have 2 sites that I get USED Golf Balls at nice prices....$9dz for Noodles, $28 for 3dz Callaways.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #15
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
Really depends on your play. If you have a Low HCP then Pro V's or Callaway Tour or a soft cover ball would do you well. If you are Mid HCP then a two or three piece ball with a soft cut-proof cover and solid center like NXT, Mojo. If you have a HIGH HCP then a Low Compression ball would be best along with 2 piece construction, Noodle or Lady Bridgestones are the best. For me I usually play Callaway Hot Shots and NXT's and I have a 19 HCP.

IMO you really don't heed to drop $45+ on a dz of balls unless you play the game 3-4x's a week and have good control of your game. I also have 2 sites that I get USED Golf Balls at nice prices....$9dz for Noodles, $28 for 3dz Callaways.
Good advice right there. I was somewhat kidding in my reply above. When I was playing 2 or 3 times a week back in the day I used the soft balata cover, but now the cover would be cut off after maybe 3 swings. LOL
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #16
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

I'm a 9 handicap and hit my drives about 280 on average. I LOVE the Bridgestone E5. It's long and gets a great amount of spin around the greens without sacrificing accuracy on your drives. It's really controllable. Highly recommend these.

What I have found with ProV's are you can generate great spin but unless you have a perfect swing with your driver you won't keep them straight. And that isn't even taking the $45 a dozen price point. Bridgestone E5's are $26 a dozen.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #17
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

The best ball is the one sitting my tee. That means I'm on the course and not stuck in some office.

Matt
Old 03-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #18
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
I'm a Bridgestone E6 guy, they're the best balls for me!
Went to the Bridgestone site and ran their fitting guide and it said E6, so maybe I'll try a box this year.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #19
CdnStogie
Fooore!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
RyJ
CdnStogie is on a distinguished road

Was playing the B330s but switched to the srixon Z-star. (~10HCP).

Though I am not too fussy at this point as I am now getting out only a handful of times and golf is expensive enough.

If you are looking to save a few extra dollars and do not mind if they are recycled check out a site like knetgolf.com or lostgolfballs. great pricing and if you get the "MINT" or the AAAAAAA balls, you would be hard pressed to tell if they have been hit or not. On top of that, they are typically 50+% off the retail price.
CdnStogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #20
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

I'm not good enough at golf to notice a difference between golf balls. I tend to go for cheaper ones because I loose at least a couple balls every time I play.

The people I play with that are good at golf always recommend some sort of low compression ball for players at the entry level of play, or for people who don't get around to playing much.

I can get good deals on Nike Power Distance Soft balls and I like those.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote