Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 03-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road
Default Hog roasts/pig roasts

Alright here is my dilemma- Do I go for a in ground setup or more of a above ground set up? My set up will be simi permanent so I am thinking above ground. The other reason I would like to go above ground is I can use wood to help flavor the meat and control the temp easier. If I go below ground I would rely solely on brine/injection to flavor the meat. I will most likely go above ground. So now should I split and lay out flat or leave as is to baste in its own skin (which is the way I have helped a few times). Both ways leave access to season but un-cut I can add whole chickens and other goodies and sew it up and cook that way. If I go above ground I would want to devise a lid and not wrap the pig in foil, reason for this is to help keep in heat and moisture and allow the wood smoke to mingle with the meat in perfect harmony. I guess I know the answers to my questions, but does some one have more experience or can throw out some pro's and con's!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hog roasts/pig roasts

There are no end to the designs you can use. A brick U-shaped pit can be super effective for everything from pig roast to oyster roasts. Get a piece of steel for the top and front and you can really control the temp pretty well.

Another thing to consider is a La Caja China. They are relatively inexpensive and pretty versatile. You can add a smoke pistol to them to get the smoke flavor, but for whole hogs I don't find you get much anyway.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I would PM Buzzman. He invited CA (or CS at the time) members to join his annual customer appreciation pig roast last summer. It was fantastic. I'm pretty sure he's been doing it for sometime, so he'll probably have a few words of advice.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

The China Box is the only way to go Coy...

68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

SLR

Dang Dave that looks good! I typically have done multiple pigs in large cookers/trailer mount smokers. So these methods would be a bit new to me, but not rocket science. Of course the biggest thing is to learn the cooker and its temperament. The china cooker looks interesting, but I think I am going with an above ground block this will also allow me to use it for my dutch ovens or as a large grill. I have just been tossing around some ideas and compiling opinions to make a decision eventually. The cooker I really want is around $6000. I hate passions they are so dang costly but so much fun!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Hey Dave....where did you get those photos?
Who cooked that pig?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by livwire68 View Post
Dang Dave that looks good! I typically have done multiple pigs in large cookers/trailer mount smokers. So these methods would be a bit new to me, but not rocket science. Of course the biggest thing is to learn the cooker and its temperament. The china cooker looks interesting, but I think I am going with an above ground block this will also allow me to use it for my dutch ovens or as a large grill. I have just been tossing around some ideas and compiling opinions to make a decision eventually. The cooker I really want is around $6000. I hate passions they are so dang costly but so much fun!
La Caja China is quite an awesome way to do a pig.
Takes about 4 to 5 hours and frankly, it is idiot proof. I should know.
It also works well with roasts, ribs, chicken and just about anything you want to slow cook.
Check out their website for more info.
www.lacajachina.com
The guy that makes this, and the seasoning, took on Bobby Flay on the show Throwdown and beat him.
Only way for this Cuban to cook a pig.

That entire 70 lb pig Dave posted was gone when said and done.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

SLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
La Caja China is quite an awesome way to do a pig.
Takes about 4 to 5 hours and frankly, it is idiot proof. I should know.
It also works well with roasts, ribs, chicken and just about anything you want to slow cook.
Check out their website for more info.
www.lacajachina.com
The guy that makes this, and the seasoning, took on Bobby Flay on the show Throwdown and beat him.
Only way for this Cuban to cook a pig.

That entire 70 lb pig Dave posted was gone when said and done.
The more I look into this, the more apealing its becoming! Its portable, I can smoke in it and I can grill. I may be able to use my dutch ovens with some modifications. Thanks for the info my fine Brothers
Old 03-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

At my old place ever summer we use to do a pig roast. Always got our hands on a large cooker. This was the only way we did it. Got the pig the day before and marinade it. Start the coals early around 6am and start getting everything ready and usually around noon it would be ready.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
buzzman
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Cohiba
buzzman is on a distinguished road

Hey Livwire68 I think above ground is the way 2 go, We do at least 2 pigs a year. Heres some pics of our set up

the last pic is 2 fat guys fightin over buttertarts
Old 03-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
SirMoby

We've always done the big metal pits as Buzzman suggests and we've done big hogs. The last one was 110 pounds. Started it at midnight and ate around 3:00 PM.

The best way to cook pork is in the skin but you won't get a ton of smoking flavor that way. We usually make 2 - 3 sauces and my special spice rub to sprinkle on the meat.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
mahtofire

Wow, those look amazing guys!!! Always wanted to have a pig roast, haven't had the ambition/time to do it. Someday I hope I'll be lucky enough to do it. Looks like amazing food and a great time!