Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #161
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
I agree with you on the second part, but homebrewing has definitely gotten more expensive in the past few years. The "hops crisis" really pushed up the price for most of my beers. I'm averaging around $45/batch, unless I salvage & repitch yeast--then I save about $8.

Would still rather brew my own, though!
If you buy the specials on the web (AHB, MB) you can get kits 4 25 shipped. That's what I do. Also you can buy DME in bulk that helps too. Just some thoughts to help the fellow BOtLS!
Posted via Mobile Device
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #162
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

As in my cigar purchases, I've tried to support my local B&M for homebrew supplies, but it's getting harder to do. Is there a difference between homebrew supplies from a B&M and those off the Internet?

(don't answer that...!)

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #163
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
I agree with you on the second part, but homebrewing has definitely gotten more expensive in the past few years. The "hops crisis" really pushed up the price for most of my beers. I'm averaging around $45/batch, unless I salvage & repitch yeast--then I save about $8.

Would still rather brew my own, though!
Hot damn! $45 a batch!? I average $8-20, no beers under 5% abv. Are you doing extract? AG + buying in bulk = win. I got 6 POUNDS of hops shipped from hopsdirect.com for about $90. If you bought them in a store at $3/oz, that's about $280. I got 3 sacks of base grains, and a bunch of flaked and specialty grains, 250lbs total, for about $230.

In the fermenter: Belgian Inspired Stout

In the keggerator: Imperial Black Ale, Extra Stout (nitro), Irish Red (nitro), Kentucky Common, Summer Wheat, and Athena's Imperial Mango Hefeweizen (my gf first brew and her recipe, it's good!).

Up next: Dark (Lord) Killer Imperial Stout
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #164
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLS1 View Post
Hot damn! $45 a batch!? I average $8-20, no beers under 5% abv. Are you doing extract? AG + buying in bulk = win. I got 6 POUNDS of hops shipped from hopsdirect.com for about $90. If you bought them in a store at $3/oz, that's about $280. I got 3 sacks of base grains, and a bunch of flaked and specialty grains, 250lbs total, for about $230.
I never made the jump to AG. I'm currently renovating the front part of my garage to a workshop/brewhouse, so I may look into it then. Most of my beers now are partial mash, though, so that helps offset some cost. I'll definitely be looking into hopsdirect for bulk purchase.

Dry-hopped my pilsner this weekend, and hope to get it in bottles on Saturday. Brewed a classic red ale recipe with my son two weekends ago--his first attempt at homebrewing!--and it's still happily bubbling away in the primary. Repitched it with a California Ale yeast, looks like it's getting some great attenuation.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #165
kenstogie

Army (Active)

I am only doing Extract brewing and hey it's pretty easy and makes great beer. But how much of a pain in the A$$ is AG, how much more time/effort does it take, and how easy is it to screw up?? Thanks!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #166
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I am only doing Extract brewing and hey it's pretty easy and makes great beer. But how much of a pain in the A$$ is AG, how much more time/effort does it take, and how easy is it to screw up?? Thanks!
It does not require that much extra equipment, it does take longer but once you get your process down I could do it in my sleep. Smoking a cigar while brewing also makes the time involved seem even less.....time consuming, for lack of a better phrase (as I actually enjoy the brewing process a lot, but maybe not cleaning up). Once you get your system and the process down it's difficult to mess up. I use a turkey fryer, cooler with homemade copper manifold (for mashing and batch sparging), and copper immersion wort chiller (also homemade and works great). I do 5 gal batches (which is plenty at the rate I like to brew and how much I consume).
The benefits are more complete recipe control and options, and control of mash temps which allows more flexibility in how dry or sweet the final beer finishes. There are other advantages, but those are most important to me. You might save some money not having to buy extract, and you're making beer essentially the same way professional breweries make beer, I like that.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #167
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Well gonna brew one of my kits tonight not sure which one so I thought I'd mention it here. Plus I wanted to bump this thread and give it a little life!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #168
willbreathes
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
willbreathes is on a distinguished road

Hey all, somewhat new here.. been lurking for a while. Figured I will start in an alcohol thread because I know a bit more about that than cigars.

Currently got an Irish Stout finishing up, and more than ready to have an Amber Ale go through the brewing process.
willbreathes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #169
M.D.M.

Sadly nothing in the fermenter...But still have some oatmeal stout from the last brew session. Planning on a red and an IPA next.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #170
Resipsa

Pretty cool homebrew related video:http://feeds.boingboing.net/~r/boing...ring-mach.html
Old 04-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #171
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Well, I bought a homebrew start-up kit last evening, plus an extra bucket for primary fermenting. A buddy has an extra carboy he's giving me, so I can have two beers in secondary fermentation at the same time.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html

I also got two extract kits, their Liberty Cream Ale, and Ferocious IPA, a clone of Surly Furious. The guy who helped me said it's a dead knock-off of Furious, and was made with Surly's cooperation.

For any of you who live in the Mpls area, I found the people at Midwest Supply to be very helpful. It's basically a small warehouse. The place was busy, I wandered around a little bit until I found someone to help me. But once I found someone, he was super helpful.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #172
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Congrats on the Homebrew kit. Once I got my kit and learned how to use it my purchase of beer essentially stopped. I now plan ahead for the beer I am going to need and brew accordingly. FWIW I have heard good things about MW supply. Not that I am an awesome brewer even though they all turn out great but one piece of advice.....

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness"
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #173
dentonparrots

Well, got me some Caxtons Bitter and some of their Real Ale bubbling away. When they've vacated my fermenting vessel I'll be doing some Woodfords Wherry...that stuff's amazing it just takes AGES to settle fully for some reason, so I thought I'd get a few gallons (or ten) of some other stuff ready first so I can leave the Woodfords Wherry longer to before I get tempted into drinking it too soon.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #174
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Well, I had to make a trip to Midwest Supply to buy a larger kettle. The stock pot we have in the cupboard isn't as large as I remembered it being, so I bought a heavy 5 gallon kettle. But otherwise everything seemed to go well with my batch of Liberty Cream Ale. It took quite a while for the wort to boil, but it did eventually boil. I think 4 gallons of water is the max my electric stove can handle. I boiled one gallon of water seperately and then chilled it to cool the wort faster. And I sucked up some hops when siphoning over to the primary bucket, but I doubt that's a big deal. I pitched with Safale US 05 yeast. Overall it took longer than I thought, but I think it went OK. I used a lot of sanitizer.

I also made a starter for the Ferocious. I'll do that one a night this week. I'm going to use a blow-off tube on that one, since I'm sure it will bubble over out of the primary bucket.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #175
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Brewed a Saison on Sunday, yeast was wyeast 3724 Saison and the dreggs from Fantome Hiver made into a combined starter.
Brewing a Quad this weekend with a friend coming to visit from Miami.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #176
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

Just finished brewing a batch of "Ferocious," a clone of Surly Furious. The house smells like grapefruit times 10, and I've only used half the hops. The other half get dry-hopped in a week.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #177
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

started a Toasted Coconut Porter last night. It will spend a few weeks in primary before I add a pound an a half of toasted coconut to secondary!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #178
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

When I made my Ferocious last night, everything went right according to the receipe until the very end, and then I made several errors. I don't think any of them are show stoppers, but I got careless.

1) When I was hopping at the end, I was supposed to take the 2 oz of hops, split it into 5 batches, and add them at 20, 15, 10 5 and 0. But I mistakenly only made 4 groups, but still followed the 5 hopping time schedule. So I didn't have any left to toss in at 0 minutes.

2) When I was rinsing off my stir paddle after I stirred the wort I had chilling in ice, I accidently sprayed water into the wort.

3) When I finally had everything done and the bucket sealed up, when I was putting the airlock on I pushed the rubber gasket through the lid and into the bucket. So I had to open the lid, pour the wort back into the kettle, get the gasket, and do it all over again.

Hopefully neither of the last two compromised the sanitation of the wort. I had a strong yeast starter, so hopefully the yeast will get cranked up quickly and knock out any nasties that may have gotten into the wort.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #179
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Warren: #3 would be the only thing that might cause me some concern, but not really all that much. Quick fermentation should ease your anxiety!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #180
M.D.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
started a Toasted Coconut Porter last night. It will spend a few weeks in primary before I add a pound an a half of toasted coconut to secondary!
Sounds delicious!

I make a bourbon-oak-vanilla porter every year, I may have to try a little coconut as well.